Diablo 4 / IV / IIII / Fore / Cope / Seethe

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Yeah having to grind out renown and shrines every season will kill my interest in playing. I'm still having a great time at 64, but reckon once I get a few more Ancestral pieces I need I'll shelve for a bit (it was a long ass week of playing). Basically full 780+ gear now, so don't really have a ton of incentive to grind for a "perfect" piece of gear.

REALLY wish they had sets in game, as that carrot would keep me hunting a bit longer (particularly if the armor set appearances were insane looking) - that's what's missing to me (among a bunch of QOL items) - the visual gear progression carrot that WOW had at the beginning. Full bloodfang was a pretty big carrot to slog through shitty ass design decisions - right now, there is none of that in the game.

All that to be said - I think there is the base of a really great game in here and the grind to 70 is really good (imo). The story was decent, cutscenes were cool, and the world is massive - the team behind this game seems to be receptive to feedback as well so I have a small hope they'll listen to the base and continue improving this - they don't have much choice really, this is the only game/ip worth a shit anymore at the whole company so it should be all hands on deck going forward. I shudder to think of how much time I've put into it this week alone (4 level 50+ characters) and feel like I've more than gotten my $ out of it. Season 1 will be pretty telling re the future of the game as a GAAS.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
What do you guys have against Raizqt? Hes a legit player and that video I posted is old, his shit is now 83 and still going strong. Pushing T34 dungeons.

Last edited:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If they do come out with sets, they should be glyphs for the Paragon board or something, not gear slots.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
What do you guys have against Raizqt? Hes a legit player and that video I posted is old, his shit is now 83 and still going strong. Pushing T34 dungeons.

You linked a video in which the showcase gameplay has a level 58 necromancer killing level 54 mobs in a nightmare dungeon. I don't give a rats fuck if he's playing HC or not.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
BTW someone mentioned that past +3 there is no exp bonus in Nightmares. Never tested this, but im sure Blizzard would limit this shit in some retarded way.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah having to grind out renown and shrines every season will kill my interest in playing. I'm still having a great time at 64, but reckon once I get a few more Ancestral pieces I need I'll shelve for a bit (it was a long ass week of playing). Basically full 780+ gear now, so don't really have a ton of incentive to grind for a "perfect" piece of gear.

REALLY wish they had sets in game, as that carrot would keep me hunting a bit longer (particularly if the armor set appearances were insane looking) - that's what's missing to me (among a bunch of QOL items) - the visual gear progression carrot that WOW had at the beginning. Full bloodfang was a pretty big carrot to slog through shitty ass design decisions - right now, there is none of that in the game.

All that to be said - I think there is the base of a really great game in here and the grind to 70 is really good (imo). The story was decent, cutscenes were cool, and the world is massive - the team behind this game seems to be receptive to feedback as well so I have a small hope they'll listen to the base and continue improving this - they don't have much choice really, this is the only game/ip worth a shit anymore at the whole company so it should be all hands on deck going forward. I shudder to think of how much time I've put into it this week alone (4 level 50+ characters) and feel like I've more than gotten my $ out of it. Season 1 will be pretty telling re the future of the game as a GAAS.

I would be with you if they make you redo all the renown stuff. I dont care about the top bonus, as you already re-do that on alts for the gold/exp(aka worthless). But man if that bottom , which was touted as account wide, is made to re-do it all again for a season. Yeah no thanks. Don't use words like account wide, if shit is not account wide. A part of the reason to play atm, is to get that all done, so you don't have to waste time in seasons doing it. And it gives you a jump on seasons.

We will see I guess. The base game is there. Its fun. Now its up to them to add some QoL to it and add on or make interesting changes during seasons.

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
I mean I play through the POE story and all the boring map stuff every three months. I have no problem doing that for D4, too, really. Takes like 10,12 hours for all 4 zones?

Last edited:
  • 1Pathetic
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Why is everyone so adamant about not doing this stuff again? Sounds like everyone had finished it in under a week, so it's clearly not that big a time sink?

There are dozens of posts about how it you don't like grinding the same content over and over again you don't even know what am ARPG is. How is this any different?

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Why is everyone so adamant about not doing this stuff again? Sounds like everyone had finished it in under a week, so it's clearly not that big a time sink?

There are dozens of posts about how it you don't like grinding the same content over and over again you don't even know what am ARPG is. How is this any different?

If all you did was renown , you could finish it in under a week.

And there is a reason I never play an ARPG for long. Basically what you stated. For example in d3, I would do the seasons journey, level up some gems, get to maybe 80-100 in GR and then most likely be done. Maybe try another character if a build/class if it looks fun that season. I don't sit there and play endlessly or long term. Looking for the perfect gear, level everything to max or such. Kudos to those who do though, if you are having fun still, then you are getting even more bang for your buck. It's just not for me long term. I am fine with that. And even with this game, I have already got my money's worth. Everything after now is extra icing on the cake.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Also curious (maybe based on how D3 was handled), are season characters going to have a separate stash from regular ones? It'd be hilarious if it was still shared (make little sense though, since you'd be able to stockpile stuff prior) and no one can play.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>

Because not only would you have to do the story shit in this game, but the renown grind is real. Its the most boring shit in the game to do, especially running around for the quests. My bet is this renown shit is one and done for the life of the account. But I could be wrong.

Personally I dont really mind it because its just another thing to do other than spam dungeons over and over while leveling. Gives you content options and in reality other than the extra pots and skill points its not really THAT required unless youre like totally min maxing. First 3 tiers go by fast its the last two that suck.

Last edited:

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Also curious (maybe based on how D3 was handled), are season characters going to have a separate stash from regular ones? It'd be hilarious if it was still shared (make little sense though, since you'd be able to stockpile stuff prior) and no one can play.

In D3 stashes were seperate between ongoing live servers and season servers. iirc at the end of season, your season stash is mailed to you, and if you log in a non season you can grab it all and then put it in non season stash. I honestly have no clue, I never played a non-season character in that game.

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
BTW someone mentioned that past +3 there is no exp bonus in Nightmares. Never tested this, but im sure Blizzard would limit this shit in some retarded way.

Maxroll has always had some pretty good information from their extensive testing... here's what they say about Experience in regards to +/- levels.

When fighting monsters outside of your own character's level range, the following multipliers apply:
  • Monster is 1 level above character: +15%
  • Monster is 2 levels above character: +20%
  • Monster is 3 or more levels above character: +25%
  • Monster is 1 level below character: -10%
  • Monster is 2 levels below character: -20%
  • Monster is 3 levels below character: -30%
  • Monster is 4 levels below character: -40%
  • Monster is 5 levels below character: -50%
  • [...] approaching 0 XP
Fighting monsters with a much higher level than your character does not actually grant a higher XP bonus beyond 25%. The only value that scales up after that point is the monster's base XP, which slowly rises with higher levels. This makes farming high level zones ineffective unless you can comfortably defeat enemies at a pace comparable to monsters close to your own level.

Since a monster's base XP value scales up linearly according to their level, fighting massively higher level monsters is much more valuable on low character levels compared to high character levels where the impact of each additional monster level is not as high compared to its total XP amount.

PS: Just rolled a T27 (lvl 81) at 75. Bone Spear for the win.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Hey what the fuck is a silent chest and why do they sell keys to open them for 20 obols for whites and a chance at a blue? Wife and I were stoked to finally find one in the world after buying keys, and we got 2 whites. What a fucking letdown.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hey what the fuck is a silent chest and why do they sell keys to open them for 20 obols for whites and a chance at a blue? Wife and I were stoked to finally find one in the world after buying keys, and we got 2 whites. What a fucking letdown.

Yeah I stopped buying keys, the chests are a letdown. Just gamble instead imo. Even that is mediocre most of the time. But at least you get some oranges from it to salvage or maybe get a good power to extract.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
The nightmare dungeons are fun enough but again due to scaling you actually become weaker the higher you go in many ways.
Cnn Hello GIF

Huh? Nightmare dungeons are like the one section of content that doesn't "scale".

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Well I mean you can call it that but manually scaling it still scaling, is it not?
Then "manual scaling" would be true of literally EVERY single RPG in existence. You can run T10 at level 100 if you don't want shit to "scale" and to feel "powerful". How is that any different than choosing to farm Befallen at level 50? Or how would that be different if Frosted Peaks was level 1-25?

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande

Because all the hyperventilating about how the game was amazingly super fun was just compensation. The "fun" was new +1 loot in a new skin in the form of a new game. When the Skinner box is finally revealed to be just a new shine on the same shallow tedium then suddenly the game was still super fun in the past, but no longer the present and certainly not the future.

If the game was actually just fun on a fundamental level then people would keep playing it despite the loot treadmill. Not the opposite.

That's the problem. On a basic level the game is just sorta boring and average and uninspired. If you're someone who sees through that or who isn't desperate for the latest distraction, it was obvious after a few hours. But gamers being gamers it'll take some days or weeks of massive hype and rationalizations to come to that conclusion.

That said, I respect people who with little fanfare or hype just shrug and play an average game because they're bored or whatever.

The mind bottlers are the ones who will go from super fun best Diablo game to having concerns when the shine starts to fade to rage quiting or never posting about it again when they end up personally and deeply disappointed the game didn't live up to their deluded expectations.

Meanwhile, others will probably pick the game up in months or years when the game is polished up and/or deeply discounted and have a completely moderate amount of fun that an average game deserves, like Diablo 3.

It's a weird thing from a bygone era when a high priced game was expected to provided years of engagement. People still want that, but it's hard to find, so they just rationalize the latest game is worth the hype, that they're actually having a ton of fun, but then something unrelated to their own psyche ruined the fun suddenly and in short order.

There really needs to be more research into the psychology of gaming and it's effects on humans and society, because it's psychologically exhausting watching the cycle over and over so can't be having good effects on the people experiencing it constantly.

• 2Like
  • 1Salty
  • 1NPC
Reactions: 4 users