Doctor Strange (2016)

spronk

FPS noob
Blurays are out on tuesday, the steelbook is gorgeous

0rpqpZJ.jpg

Was a decent watch, super formulaic hero's journey story but can't really go all crazy in a blockbuster comic movie I guess. Visuals were top notch, very well done and Inception-y. Didn't really care for any of the characters except maybe Wong. There is a mid credits scene AND a post credits scene so stick through the whole credits. Pretty mid tier though on my marvel comic movie list and not one I think I'd really ever rewatch.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Saw it in the theater and wasn't overly impressed. Definitely one of the weaker Marvel films for me. Still leagues ahead of BvS DC crap.

Watched this again off torrents this weekend and it was even worse than I remembered it. Will never watch again.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I didn't think it was great. But I also watched it on a shitty Delta flight.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
See, I really enjoyed it. They did a good job bringing "magic" and all things astral into the marvel universe.

Fadaar

That guy
While I don't think it was a spectacular movie overall (middle end of the MCU movies), it did a great job of doing what it had to do which is ^ what Xarp said. Introducing all the oddball mystical shit in the Marvel universe was going to be tricky and IMO they did a very good job of it with Doctor Strange.

Last edited:

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yea it felt like they stuck to the formula so hard because of the introduction of this other half of the MCU basically. GotG went off the formula a bit but that's because it was an ensemble movie rather than just one guy, and it was still sort of within the realm of the existing MCU. So, it's a tame movie, but the magic is nifty enough and Benefactor Cumberbits is a good Strange. Bonus points for being one of the only cases in the Marvel movies of maybe seeing a villain develop somewhat before they pop out of nowhere and fuck shit up in a convoluted manner

Soulfire

Golden Knight of the Realm
So I bought Dr. Strange today and watched some of the special features. With the phase 3 video you see some footage from Thor Ragnarok and they show a cgi scene in the making of Thor vs Hulk in his gladiator/planet hulk outfit. Also some unseen footage from GotG 2. Small bits and pieces but good stuff none the less.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I drove over to best buy right after work to buy the 3D steel box. About 10 minutes before I got there, they sold the last one. Fuck, I'm annoyed.

Asshole unemployed fucks buying everything while the working man doesn't have a chance.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
this is the WORST of the Marvel Movies, yup, i said it.

Simple reason, if there ever were a Marvel franchise where you'd want to see the mystical shit just POP out, an see the art of Steve Ditko come to life? it'd b Dr. Strange.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Saw this last night, enjoyed it. The visuals were very impressive though the infinitely folding space got a little formulaic. The void zone or whatever that the big bad was in was very cool.

This bothered me more than it should, but it seems like half the spells used were the most impressive looking and least lethal spells in fictional spell casting history, and the other half were very mundane. "Let me fold this entire city so you lose your balance a bit until your new cloak helps you, then I am going to stab you with my psi blade!".

Chiwetal "Over Acting" Ejiofor rolls up with "This is a relic. It is basically a fancy baseball bat.". I agree with everything the dude said though, Bencatch Cumsquatch rolling time around is totally going to screw everything up.

And maybe I've just seen too much shonnen manga, but it felt like he went from barely being able to open a sling-blade hole on Mt Everest to being the most powerful wizard on the set 5 minutes later. I'd be pretty annoyed if I had studied magic for 50 years and Bendiddy Cummerinny rolls up, shows no special talent and then just uses plot armor to win. The pacing just seemed off, and maybe I needed an eye of the tiger training sequence to fill a few gaps.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
And maybe I've just seen too much shonnen manga, but it felt like he went from barely being able to open a sling-blade hole on Mt Everest to being the most powerful wizard on the set 5 minutes later. I'd be pretty annoyed if I had studied magic for 50 years and Bendiddy Cummerinny rolls up, shows no special talent and then just uses plot armor to win.
I kind of felt the same way, while have no idea what shonnen manga is, it made me think of Pug from Raymond Feist's books.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I kind of felt the same way, while have no idea what shonnen manga is, it made me think of Pug from Raymond Feist's books.
It was a mostly offhand reference, but in the context, shonnen manga often have a somewhat cohesive power curve where the hero starts off at a certain low level and increases steadily throughout the series. It's not until several years into the manga and many totally useless filler arcs and terrible movie spinoffs that the hero is able to compete against the top level characters.

I think it's mostly just a pacing and editing issue. The only passage of time we see is the amount of books that Dr. Strange reads, but Wong is so impressed by the speed at which he reads them that it feels like he reads multiple books overnight.

Overall it's a minor complaint, but to me it made the universe feel a little silly when Dr. Strange could just roll in and become the master in what felt like 4 days.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Reht

Molten Core Raider
It was a mostly offhand reference, but in the context, shonnen manga often have a somewhat cohesive power curve where the hero starts off at a certain low level and increases steadily throughout the series. It's not until several years into the manga and many totally useless filler arcs and terrible movie spinoffs that the hero is able to compete against the top level characters.

I think it's mostly just a pacing and editing issue. The only passage of time we see is the amount of books that Dr. Strange reads, but Wong is so impressed by the speed at which he reads them that it feels like he reads multiple books overnight.

Overall it's a minor complaint, but to me it made the universe feel a little silly when Dr. Strange could just roll in and become the master in what felt like 4 days.
Thanks for the explanation. That's kind of what i thought you meant.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
If anybody is watching this at home on a theater setup using a projector, tell me how bright/dark this movie seems to you? For me at home it looked way darker and washed out than I was expecting. I've only seen it up until he has the sparring session with Chipotle so far but it all looks like it has a grey film over it. I'm hoping it is the movie and not my projector bulb.