Doctor Strange (2016)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Just came back from seeing it, I loved it. Another great entry in the Marvel cinematic universe. I think it did a great job of introducing Doctor Strange, Mordo, magic and the multiverse.

I thought everyone nailed their respective roles. Benedict was just plain awesome, and I also enjoyed Mordo and his arc...looking forward to Doctor Strange 2.

Yeah it was another origin story, and a weak villain but it was so well executed as usual for Marvel that It didn't affect my enjoyement of the movie overall.

Rachel McAdams is as beautiful as ever, kinda sucks that she wasn't in it more.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Saw it Sat night in 3D and it was worth it. Overall I liked it a lot. Similar to the animated movie, but different enough to be fresh. The actors nailed their roles and the movie flowed nicely it almost seemed short. Some good Easter eggs as well...
director said the Air Force Col. was not Rhodes and not the Hammer test pilot from IM2, so no real evidence on when the movie takes place in the MCU timeline. I'm hoping it took place around Ironman 1 or 2 so it give Strange time to truly become Sorcerer Supreme.

Also, Cumberbatch did the motion capture for Dormomu. That scene was amazing.

Color me ready for Adam Warlock.

In the movie you can see some award he has pre-injury and it says 2015, if I recall.

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
Saw it Sat night in 3D and it was worth it. Overall I liked it a lot. Similar to the animated movie, but different enough to be fresh. The actors nailed their roles and the movie flowed nicely it almost seemed short. Some good Easter eggs as well...
director said the Air Force Col. was not Rhodes and not the Hammer test pilot from IM2, so no real evidence on when the movie takes place in the MCU timeline. I'm hoping it took place around Ironman 1 or 2 so it give Strange time to truly become Sorcerer Supreme.

Also, Cumberbatch did the motion capture for Dormomu. That scene was amazing.

Color me ready for Adam Warlock.

Don't they show the Avengers tower in one of the aerial city shots?

EDIT: They also reference the Avengers by name, and then there's
the first after-credits scene with Thor

so I think this is pretty firmly placed towards recent Marvel movie history.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
so I think this is pretty firmly placed towards recent Marvel movie history.
The MCU "rule" is that the events are normally set in "alternative today", i.e. the events of Doctor Strange happen in 2016, a few months after the Sokovian Accords and all that.

It would probably have worked better if it was set "a couple years ago", which would justify the easter egg of Stephen Strange appearing on the Hydra targeting list during Cap America 2... And unfortunately, it's real hard to believe that Strange
goes from advanced student with sputtering spellshields to full Sorcerer Supreme between now and Ragnarok next year
. But that's not how it works in Marvel's vision.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Heck he was mentioned all the way back in the Norton Hulk movie.

Valishar

Molten Core Raider
We aren't really sure how long he is in training for before he gets the speech about them being similar to the Avengers. He honestly could've been in there for years between the beginning of the movie and the climax. Although it would seem kind of odd that the villians plan would take that long to complete after stealing the ritual.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Re: his accelerated training

They show a short scene of him studying in the astral plane while he's sleeping, during a montage. Also, he does have the time gem, they could easily explain it away using that.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah the Astral Plane studying thing made me feel like he was 24/7 learning and practicing.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Just saw it on Saturday. I thought it was absolutely great.

Chris

Potato del Grande
There's a reference before the crash about an airforce colonel needing spine surgery after an experimental armor crash.

I thought that was Warmachine post Civil War so I thought the training was very fast.

Apparently it's the guy from Iron Man 2 wearing an experimental Hammer Suit which goes wrong (6 years ago). Avengers are also mentioned (3 years ago) so he could have been crazy for a few years then training for a couple of years with genius level intellect and photo memory.

Time Gem could act as a Hyperbolic Time Chamber like on Dragon Ball for extra training time.

Movie should have been clearer on the passage of time though.

cypis

Lord Nagafen Raider
Uhh, pretty sure they've shown a reward from 2015 on his desk a few moments before he got into the car.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Yeah except someone posted that the director (or someone?) confirmed that it's not Rhodey being referred to, which honestly just makes it confusing to even exist. When I was watching it, I immediately thought "hey cool that's War Machine, and this movie is post civil war," but apparently not.

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
My review: Damn near perfect movie. Amazing lead, great supporting actors, only a subtle love story, lots of action, magic and trippy visuals.

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
I thought it was excellent. Great casting, decent story, and Amazing visuals, this was my first IMAX 3D experience and I was blown away. Also very cool way of dealing with an overpowered villain, did not feel cheated at the end.

I had some very minor gripes that were all mentioned already; Most the jokes were not funny at all, the doctor chick seemed too easily accepting of magic, and his training seemed to go by way to quickly.

Also it seemed a bit too easy to join up and get training from the ancient one.. Strange is a total ass and they still let him in without much argument. I had to assume that the ancient one had some knowledge of the future and knew that Strange should be trained.

None of this really bothered me much, just what I think were the worst parts of an otherwise excellent movie.

8.5/10 just behind Ant-man but definitely top tier MCU, will watch again.

Last edited:

gauze

Molten Core Raider
This is probably my favorite marvel film so far, i've always been a fan of that archetype with whispy weird words like Dr. Orpheus or Vincent Von Ghoul ect. Not enough darkness is probably my only gripe. I wouldn't say its the best Marvel film though, just my favorite.

On the note of the Doctor Female, I was completely happy with it. She wasn't too continuously forced, and still held a impact. She didn't become Jane Foster but was still there are a significant part of Strange. I felt like it fit, and her acceptance wasn't as easy, just no time for fuckery as she seems to be a prominent nurse(intercom,) there just wasn't time for questions and prompt freakouts esp toward the end of the two. I think the only joke that just kinda yawn-y was the vending machine, everything else was enjoyable, yet nothing innuendo funny ie gotg.

Wong was great, I think they wrote a proper direction for Mordo, and I really enjoyed the villian in this and -that scene- a+.

As far as learning quickly, I think I was okay with it and didn't really look too deeply in it. There were many things that kinda supported this idea. It kinda help him put in the same intelligence level as Stark, and I'd say Pym but it isn't really explored much. Isn't he suppose to be one of the core members of Illuminati aswell? I don't know if they'll ever go into that, but it adds to his prowess as an intellect.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I was going to say the same thing. A couple people have mentioned she "accepts" his magicking too quickly. Well, I've only seen it once, and I'm sure I was half-distracted by her Rachel McAdamsness, but if I recall, every encounter post-magic was pretty frantic, emergency/triage related, etc. She didn't really have much time to process it enough to present an argument for "wait wtf is going on?" I thought it fit just fine, personally.

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Yeah I was going to say the same thing. A couple people have mentioned she "accepts" his magicking too quickly. Well, I've only seen it once, and I'm sure I was half-distracted by her Rachel McAdamsness, but if I recall, every encounter post-magic was pretty frantic, emergency/triage related, etc. She didn't really have much time to process it enough to present an argument for "wait wtf is going on?" I thought it fit just fine, personally.
Yeah, I just got the vibe that she was near "equal" to Doctor Strange surgical background, esp with the whole opening, and then his go-to.

also, assumed spinal issue scene

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
lol, I missed a lot. I also had no idea there was a Dr. Strange TV show in the 70s.