Doctor Strange (2016)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Just saw this in 3d with the wife.

Really enjoyed it. It was fairly by the numbers origin story stuff, but the comedy and the visuals really held the movie together.

Will watch sequels.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
it was alright, seemed like iron man meets inception. so while nothing ground breaking, it was entertaining. finally found out wtf this dormammu stuff you guys were talking about. he was so easily beaten i really dont get the hype behind him.

Malkav

French Madman
it was alright, seemed like iron man meets inception. so while nothing ground breaking, it was entertaining. finally found out wtf this dormammu stuff you guys were talking about. he was so easily beaten i really dont get the hype behind him.

You can't say he was defeated.

He was just tricked into a bargain, and thanks to an Infinity Stone at that.

Bladefury

N00b
It took an Infinity Stone in order just to make a deal with him. Anything less powerful would've had Strange's loop broken pretty quickly I'd assume.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Went to see this yesterday. The expected Inception vibe was there but they really succeeded in dialing it up to 11.

The humor felt mostly flat to me though. You could tell they wanted him to seem as self-absorbed as Tony Stark but that whole aspect of his character came off as a bit one note. Stark is a guy who enjoys being himself in a relatable way so the humor with him works and they can play off of it hard. With Strange, not so much so the humor was dialed back to the point of being almost wooden and distracting much of the time.

The way that the big bad was dealt with at the end was clever as hell though and was really well done. I said of Swinton when her casting was announced and later when images of her in costume showed up that she just didn't seem to be a fit for The Ancient One but goddamn she pretty much stole the show proving again that talent trumps all. Get a good enough actor for a role to make me forget about appearances and I'll forget about appearances.

Not in my upper echelon of Marvel flicks but a solid 8 out 10. It leans heavily on it's visuals, which while spectacular, makes me wonder how well it will hold up over time with repeat viewing.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
I said of Swinton when her casting was announced and later when images of her in costume showed up that she just didn't seem to be a fit for The Ancient One but goddamn she pretty much stole the show proving again that talent trumps all. Get a good enough actor for a role to make me forget about appearances and I'll forget about appearances.

It helps that with no hair she kinda looks like an extradimensional being given human form.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I saw this again last night at a different theater. I need to agree with Royal in regards to the visuals playing a huge part in the overall take of the movie. This theater was also 3D, but the quality wasn't nearly as good as the Imax that I saw it on for opening night. As a result, the movie, while still good, was bland. The colors didn't pop out the way they did in the first.

I still love it, but not as much as the first viewing. I'm only going to see big 3D movies on Imax now, instead of the other theater that has the largest screen on the island. It just isn't the same.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Went to see this yesterday. The expected Inception vibe was there but they really succeeded in dialing it up to 11.

The humor felt mostly flat to me though. You could tell they wanted him to seem as self-absorbed as Tony Stark but that whole aspect of his character came off as a bit one note. Stark is a guy who enjoys being himself in a relatable way so the humor with him works and they can play off of it hard. With Strange, not so much so the humor was dialed back to the point of being almost wooden and distracting much of the time.

The way that the big bad was dealt with at the end was clever as hell though and was really well done. I said of Swinton when her casting was announced and later when images of her in costume showed up that she just didn't seem to be a fit for The Ancient One but goddamn she pretty much stole the show proving again that talent trumps all. Get a good enough actor for a role to make me forget about appearances and I'll forget about appearances.

Not in my upper echelon of Marvel flicks but a solid 8 out 10. It leans heavily on it's visuals, which while spectacular, makes me wonder how well it will hold up over time with repeat viewing.

I was really pleased as well with the setup and payoff of the time paradox shit. so few movies use it in a clever way.

gauze

Molten Core Raider

See, iunno, I really enjoyed the humor. It wasn't exactly in your face GotG, nor was it hard to miss. It kinda hit the -popculture- cues but it made me really enjoy the character. I got the immediate vibe of Patrick Bateman without the psychopathic tendencies/rage. When he was playing the quiz game, and just knowing in such detail made me think of Huey Lewis. Him labeling out people like Adele, Beyonce, and I forgot who else, made me think about Phil Collins and Whitney Houston scene. It also helped build his character arrogant, but obsessive, it could have been elaborated more than him just saying how he got his degrees in x time but it is more beside the point and just a detail to his character. Idon't know much of him from the comics, cause I never read em, always just enjoyed his whole archtype and power.

Though I wasn't too crazy on how he had to differ himself from the bad, by basically saying he took an oath ectect. I don't know if that is like comic material? I felt that might have been a little forced?

Fadaar

That guy
Really liked it but thought the pre-accident portion could have actually been longer, as well as the training. I have no issues sitting through a 3 hour movie as long as it keeps me entertained the whole way through, but I guess studios don't want it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
I liked this movie a lot. Visuals were great. I thought the Ancient One being a British chick was going to annoy me but she was fine.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I finally got around to seeing this.

"Did you think Ant-Man wasn't formulaic enough? Well, we've made all the humor terrible while bumping the 60's LSD psychadelia to 13."

I'd still put it at a 7/10 or so, but that's mostly because it's been a terrible year for movies.

Edit: I forgot to mention there were all of four of us in the theater. Not sure if that was still last night's hangover or a sign the superhero boom is over.

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
I finally got around to seeing this.

"Did you think Ant-Man wasn't formulaic enough? Well, we've made all the humor terrible while bumping the 60's LSD psychadelia to 13."

I'd still put it at a 7/10 or so, but that's mostly because it's been a terrible year for movies.

Edit: I forgot to mention there were all of four of us in the theater. Not sure if that was still last night's hangover or a sign the superhero boom is over.

330m box office (so far) says it isn't.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
When I saw it a send time on Tuesday night, it was a full house. And this was a very large theater. Easily 300 people (if not more). This is one of those screens that's like 80-90 feet wide, and the theater itself is easily 100x100.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Saw it this weekend with the wife and in IMAX 3d. It's probably the first movie i've seen in IMAX 3D that really felt like it effectively used that technology as more than just a "look a couple things look like they're close to yoU" gimmick. A co-worker of mine said the official dosing recommendation is a single hit of acid or decent dosing of shrooms if you can get them. (in case you were wondering)

I'd give the movie a solid 7/10. I thought the humor was a bit forced in a few points. Probably the deficiencies are overcome by , once again, ridiculous casting in my opinion (Benadryl Cumquat was spot on, and Swinton pulled off a good ancient one as far as I'm considered.)

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Was a good movie, but a Meh marvel movie. Maybe my expectations are too high for Marvel after Cap3. The visuals were stunning, Acting was solid, but i thought the story was a bit flat and beyond the Mister Doctor, who's on 1st, routine the humor was lacking.

Still good, but one of the few i have not wanted to watch again right away.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Saw it in AMC's Dolby Cinema, was fantastic prolly will go see it again at some point

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Finally caught this last night, it felt like 110 minutes of "Last episode on Dr. Strange..."

They really needed at least another 15 or 20 minutes in there to make it possible to give a a shit about the characters, as it was it felt like they just jumped from scene to scene to convey to rough outline of the narrative in the fastest possible form. There was absolutely no sense of the passage of time - did the movie take place over 3 months? 3 years? How long was Strange training in Nepal?

Acting was solid though, Swinton and Cumberbatch were both great (side note, but am I the only one who thought Cumberbatch's American accent sounded exactly like Hugh Laurie's in House? it was uncanny) although it felt kind of wasted with the rushed narrative. eg. The whole scene with Tilda Swinton's character dying was really well done, but totally lacked any emotional resonance because they hadn't bothered to take the time to make us feel attached to her as a character. Same with all of the other characters, including the main villain, lacking any real backstory. Just felt like they were there to fill the roles "sidekick - mentor - comic relief - bad guy" etc.

On the upside, special effects were amazing. Overall I enjoyed it, and I'm not huge on superhero movies, but if they'd taken the time to flesh it out it could have been an awesome movie, instead of just a good one.

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
Saw this for the second time, and i'm really glad I did. Still a great two hours and there were parts about the spells and the mirror dimension that I didn't really get the first time.