Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Goonsquad Officer
it's kind of a cop out i guess. since they don't take you 'to' the plateu. but you can take the iron maiden express to the volcano. or the gargoyle coffin to get up in that general direction. i don't know for certain that those ways fully connect and they for damn sure arn't easy. but i accidentally found all those things before i found the second medalion piece heh

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>

I wonder how many attempts that took. He got lucky on some of those transitions.

One thing I have done a LOT more of in this game compared to past Souls games is liberal use of sprint. So many mobs that you can just run "around" like a spaz and it's way more effective at dodging attacks than rolling.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
In case anyone else was wondering about whether there's any point to upgrading a shield... there is:

ELDEN RING.jpg

+0 only had 56 Guard Boost, bumping it to 69 makes a very noticeable difference in stamina consumption when you block big hits.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Now they need to make shields worth using outside of the brass/tower shield you can get at the first guard camp

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Goonsquad Officer
Now they need to make shields worth using outside of the brass/tower shield you can get at the first guard camp
hah yea. i've been using the golden greatshield more lately but i used the gilded greatshield forever. i have the dragonclaw and erdtree shield just for gimicky resists.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Not sure how I'm gonna beat Godfrey (second fight) without respec. I know his attack pattern and skill usage. But... fuck screenwide AoEs that he also chain stomps

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I feel like some enemies (namely bosses) are hitting through my shield. Is it due to a special non-blockable attack or are they hitting OVER or UNDER my shield? Just wondering if switching to a big ass tower shield would make a difference there.
The jellyfish shield claims 100 Physical reduction but no piercing protection, you might just be taking some semi-hidden piercing damage if you're using that shield and possibly others. Other 100 shields should block it totally.

Vorph

Most likely they're just dealing split damage with some element instead of pure phys.

And those bug dudes shoot out a million projectiles that arc enough that it's possible they could land outside of the cone where the shield blocks it.

Penance

Yeah, this. I've played all the Souls games so I'm very familiar with poise and stamina. I'll have full stamina, yet a boss's physical attack will sometimes land hard. It feels like they are hitting around or over/under the shield. Things happen so quickly it's hard to exactly see.

Also this is fairly early on in the game so I don't think I'm running into any fancy attacks yet. I'm using the stock Confessor shield which is 100% physical reduction but not anything huge in size.
As a scythe user I constantly get behind heater type shields with the wide swing. Game is very detailed on its hot boxes it seems. Also anything that can hook back will go through shield

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Best rune farm discovered so far. It can be done pretty early on and you dont need any special gear besides a bow or crossbow.

Kiki

Log Wizard
The amount of people that don't know about or use the physick flask to not get assraped by Mohg is too damn high.

This would be me. I'm fucking around after fighting rennala just seeing how far I can push things, what minor bosses I could kill, and wandered into that portal. Summoned some dudes and tried again. Oops, I just figured it was my low level. I randomly found that +10 somber outside too, I didn't even know it was there. Had just ran to leyendell (I did kill tree sentinel, etc) for the +7 I needed too, so boom, went from +6 to +10 moonveil by pure luck last night.

When I was in leyedell tho, ranni say's she's leaving? I didn't just fuck up that quest right? I haven't even killed Radahn or any of that shit.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
In case anyone else was wondering about whether there's any point to upgrading a shield... there is:

View attachment 402580

+0 only had 56 Guard Boost, bumping it to 69 makes a very noticeable difference in stamina consumption when you block big hits.

Hot damn, thanks for this. I have my turtle shell at +2 and previewing +3 still didn’t have guard boost upgrades so I gave up. Presumably it has them at some point in the progression?

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
If you're doing hybrid caster or quality builds I wouldn't really aim to reach 80/80. Yes that's the actual softcap point where it really becomes worthless to level further, but 80/80 is way more points than you'll have in any kind of normal playthrough.

Unless you're really planning to farm for hours or do multiple NG+ runs you're way better off going for like 40/40 or 50/50 and using the rest of your ~150 or so "normal" levels on vigor/mind/endurance.

Even for more single-stat oriented builds you're still almost always better off doing something like 60 primary/40 in a relevant off-stat if your weapon has any scaling at all for it. Like for example my mostly INT sorcery/moonveil character I get way, way more weapon damage out of being 60 INT/40 DEX than I do 80 INT/20 DEX.

Bursty caster invader in this second char so, I'm going pretty damn glass

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Not sure how I'm gonna beat Godfrey (second fight) without respec. I know his attack pattern and skill usage. But... fuck screenwide AoEs that he also chain stomps

The roll timing on it is unforgiving and there's that whole feint/long wind up and sudden execution.... and he multi stomps sometimes and not others. Whattafight.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Damn, I was way over leveled for margott. I could tell he was trying to go into a phase 2 but he died before he could even get there

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
i do it. everyone else in the world uses controller and loves it. I did a little remapping. you have to change a menu option to make it display hotkey tips for things in real people language instead of calling everything R2 etc.

I did it. I'd rather kill myself than look around using a controller.