Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Best rune farm discovered so far. It can be done pretty early on and you dont need any special gear besides a bow or crossbow.

I feel like farming the enemies on the hill right there is more efficient than sniping that bird guy, but you do need to have the right build for it wheras sniping the bird only requires a bow and arrows.

Icerind Hatchet's L2 makes short work of the enemies on the hill, as does the sword you get from the final boss soul. I suspect you could go to NG+ and do it there for like 3x the souls too.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Of all the Souls games I never played a caster. Only melee with a big ass shield. A friend, who has never played a Souls game, picked up Elden Ring and is insisting on playing a caster. My feeling is that casters are playing the game on hard(er) mode. Am I correct?
If they play a caster and go in blind it's hard mode. If they watch some OP start vids, run around the map collecting armor, spells, free runes, golden seeds and golden tears it's easy mode, arguably easier than if they made the same effort with melee.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I feel like farming the enemies on the hill right there is more efficient than sniping that bird guy, but you do need to have the right build for it wheras sniping the bird only requires a bow and arrows.

Icerind Hatchet's L2 makes short work of the enemies on the hill, as does the sword you get from the final boss soul. I suspect you could go to NG+ and do it there for like 3x the souls too.
I'd prefer they didn't do this, but it would be interesting if they added no-farm code like DS2 had. From my perspective if someone wants easy mode and so they farm some frogs and birds for a weekend then steamroll Margit at lvl 100, who cares. They know what they did. I mean I know when I fought the double crucible knights last knight that I was taking the easy road with my moonveil katana and mimic ash.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
How did you use the statue?

The catacombs statue? You go up and examine them and they start a blue wispy line in the direction of a catacombs. It was clearly pointing to a place that would have to be in the wall of the desert.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I'd prefer they didn't do this, but it would be interesting if they added no-farm code like DS2 had. From my perspective if someone wants easy mode and so they farm some frogs and birds for a weekend then steamroll Margit at lvl 100, who cares. They know what they did. I mean I know when I fought the double crucible knights last knight that I was taking the easy road with my moonveil katana and mimic ash.

I haven't actually used any of the sploit/farms beyond a minute or two of trying them out, but I don't mind their existence. Sometimes you need a few more levels. I know there are people who will vastly overlevel and gimp the game for themselves, but I guess they aren't my problem.

Gotta say, the L2 AOEs on the Icerind Hatchet and the final boss sword are both pretty awesome. I just got the final boss sword and had to respec (to get the Faith for it). It's basically a Paladin Epic. Makes farming or room-clearing a snap. I'll miss this when I switch to sorcery/moonveil and start NG+.

As I type this I'm sitting at the bonfire in Mohgwyn Palace watching ghost-players run back and forth sniping the bird guy off the cliff. Lul. I haven't even tried that, the aiming seems too tedious to do over and over when you can just AOE the cliff guys.

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Anyone know what type of build this mage is? I’m getting tired of just melee and bow and would like to switch it up. Being able to do some long range to replace the bow, still be able to melee, and some mid range stuff like he’s got going on is what I’d like to be able to do. I’m not going to be good like this mage of course, but I want to mix up my playstyle from my first 50 hours.

Great battle btw, worth a watch.

It looks to me like a katana, and a staff. I have no idea what skills he’s using or what stats to do. I’ve only done very low level magic. Guessing mostly faith, dex, and a little int?

Where’s that big hammer?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I haven't actually used any of the sploit/farms beyond a minute or two of trying them out, but I don't mind their existence. Sometimes you need a few more levels. I know there are people who will vastly overlevel and gimp the game for themselves, but I guess they aren't my problem.

Gotta say, the L2 AOEs on the Icerind Hatchet and the final boss sword are both pretty awesome. I just got the final boss sword and had to respec (to get the Faith for it). It's basically a Paladin Epic. Makes farming or room-clearing a snap. I'll miss this when I switch to sorcery/moonveil and start NG+.

As I type this I'm sitting at the bonfire in Mohgwyn Palace watching ghost-players run back and forth sniping the bird guy off the cliff. Lul. I haven't even tried that, the aiming seems too tedious to do over and over when you can just AOE the cliff guys.
I cycled the mohgwyn clay frog guys a few times. It was kind of a nice opportunity to quantify the difference between a few different things like my damage with different talisman loadouts for the same attacks, how many hits to proc bleed etc.

ER kinda needs target dummy in the Roundtable to practice moves against. I can't think of any mobs that sit there and let you beat on them.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Are there any spells/weapons/talismans/etc that you need to do multiplayer to get? Cause I'm going for the plat but I don't want to start NG+ and have multiplayer die a death unless there's nothing I need from it.

Taking all my willpower to not play through this a second time immediately. I don't want to burn out on it, plus I have RL stuff to catch up on, plus I have like, other games I was playing...even though other games are obsolete now

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I cycled the mohgwyn clay frog guys a few times. It was kind of a nice opportunity to quantify the difference between a few different things like my damage with different talisman loadouts for the same attacks, how many hits to proc bleed etc.

ER kinda needs target dummy in the Roundtable to practice moves against. I can't think of any mobs that sit there and let you beat on them.

A respawning training dummy would indeed be a good thing to have.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Ok so I respected and am new to most magic. I have a staff in left hand for when I want to cast sorcery, a seal for incantations, and a katana in right hand. Why can’t I cast some of my incants? I have a blood flame blade incant I want to use on my katana but it doesn’t let me cast it. I have the faith stat needed for it, and holding a seal in left hand. It lets me cast other stuff like golden bow, scouring black flame, but not the blood flame blade. I don’t get it.

Last edited:

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
anyone using bloodhounds step? I'm already getting tired of moonveil katan's excellent medium range option that trivializes everything and am contemplating a bloodhound step + colossal weapon build.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Ok so I respected and am new to most magic. I have a staff in left hand for when I want to cast sorcery, a seal for incantations, and a katana in right hand. Why can’t I cast some of my infants? I have a blood flame blade incant I want to use on my katana but it doesn’t let me cast it. I have the faith stat needed for it, and holding a seal in left hand. It lets me cast other stuff like golden bow, scouring black flame, but not the blood flame blade. I don’t get it.

If it’s a katana that already has a second damage type, that’s why. Does it do magic damage?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yep. Ok, thanks.

Yeah, a lot of weapons just can't be enchanted because they already have some other type on them. Like Malenia, the one drawback to that weapon is that it can't be enchanted. I hope Moonveil can be enchanted.

anyone using bloodhounds step? I'm already getting tired of moonveil katan's excellent medium range option that trivializes everything and am contemplating a bloodhound step + colossal weapon build.

Bloodhound's Step is really good. If you played Cuphead, it's like the invisible/invincible dash in that game. It's supposed to be good for blinking around an enemy for backstabs, but I found that it didn't work out most of the time and was better for just closing distances safely.

Goonsquad Officer
I would love settings when you launch a game. Opt to run no farm etc

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm loving all the broken builds. These will make me actually want to play through again, after I beat it without cheesing.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users