Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I know it does that, I'm just wondering if it will pull from all of your memorized spells, or just the one that you literally have selected. I tried to screwing around with it and it just doesn't seem to do a lot other than attack and run around.

I know at one point they nerfed it, and I never used it prior to that patch. I wonder if the AI on it was just a hell of a lot better than.

It has all of your weapons, armor, talismans and spells equipped as of summoning.

It will use any/all of the weapons and spells(if you gave it a staff/seal), based on what it wants to do in that moment. Even post nerf, mine is very survivable and tends to make more good decisions than bad.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
It has all of your weapons, armor, talismans and spells equipped as of summoning.

It will use any/all of the weapons and spells(if you gave it a staff/seal), based on what it wants to do in that moment. Even post nerf, mine is very survivable and tends to make more good decisions than bad.
Thank you, sir. Probably just need to level it up, and start deploying it. Probably doesn't help I've got an unoptimized build, but it's been working so far. Just a mishmash of strength and faith but enough intelligence to cast certain spells and what have you. I literally just been trying different weapons to get a feel for what works best for me, and I'm dropping points into things allowing me to do so.

Figure once I really find a weapon that I gel with, I'll burn a respec. I've literally just been using the winged scythe and the clean rot knight Scythe. They've been really good, but I can tell that the damage is starting to wane as I'm getting in the higher areas.

I tried using the black gargoyles greatsword just because of the strength and Faith scaling, but the lack of the bleed build-up I'm starting to notice, but it does seem to do pretty decent poise damage compared to everything else I've used. After getting the star beast jaw, trying to rotate between it and a faster weapon, I'm just not used to the slow movement with the colossal weapons.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Just hit my first boss that smashed me 30+ times and used me as toiletpaper. Finally got the bitch down with a lucky stagger at the very end after my Mimic was a bloody pool on the floor. I hate these chaotic guys that fly everywhere. :p

View attachment 409403
I saw a video by one souls veteran guy that I can’t vouch for at all call out that the endgame bosses are a lot more BS. I have no comparison, but as an armchair designer I have to believe they knew an open world game would be easily busted so they had no choice. We’ll see.

Someone above mentioned Bloodbourne. That or demon souls next?

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider

Until you mem the holy resist incantation for Radagon/Elden Beast and mimic just chain casts it the buff over and over

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
I saw a video by one souls veteran guy that I can’t vouch for at all call out that the endgame bosses are a lot more BS. I have no comparison, but as an armchair designer I have to believe they knew an open world game would be easily busted so they had no choice. We’ll see.

Id say if you were a shield user probably Demon Souls, but if you dodged more often than blocked Bloodborne is the better game, just was a slightly different playstyle for me at the time because I was used to blocking.

Didn't start getting comfortable with dodge rolls until DS3, at least consistent enough to start 2 handing weapons.

Demons Souls Remake has great graphics though, that's a plus too

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
DS2 dodge rolls were the most intricate. If you learned the system and invested in the stat for it, you could dodge roll better than in any other FROM game. But every game before or since has basically just been about encumbrance class.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Id say if you were a shield user probably Demon Souls, but if you dodged more often than blocked Bloodborne is the better game, just was a slightly different playstyle for me at the time because I was used to blocking.

Didn't start getting comfortable with dodge rolls until DS3, at least consistent enough to start 2 handing weapons.

Demons Souls Remake has great graphics though, that's a plus too
My build is kinda a fucked up jack of all trades right now but I dodge a lot. About to give blocking a try though.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Caelid is probably my most hated area I've been to. I went in there at one point prior to the lake area, and got blasted. Went and completed the lake, and finally came back and started clearing my way through it. Just all of the trash mobs are so fucking annoying. I also don't like the music ( same with the underground areas).

I think I still have one or two other places I've got to complete in there and then I can move on to the Altus Plateau and volcano mountain.

Caelid bothers me too. Everything's all diseased and the "music" is mostly just flies buzzing. Whole place reminds me of the Dark Ages when the Bubonic Plague was ravaging everyone and the sunlight was dimmed because of Krakatoa's eruption (the sun is also dimmed in Caelid). I'm assuming the designers did all this on purpose. Place gives me the creeps though, and not in a good scary game way, in a "I really don't want to have to do that again" way.

• 1Solidarity

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I mostly hated the dungeons in Caelid, because unless you have the faith and know where the cure spell is for it, Scarlet Rot is one of the biggest pains in the ass in the game. And half the fucking crypts in there are fighting imps/poisoned mushroom men while wading in Scarlet Rot. But I think the sewers and Haligtree take the cake for most annoying zones. The trash in Caelid kind of sucks as a melee, but its all weak to fire and by then you likely have one if not two good fire based options. Going back there with the Sword of Night and Fire was completely game changing, even for the raptor dogs. Most of whats bad about the trash centers on the hit box issues all dog style mobs seem to have in the game.

• 1Pathetic
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Demon Souls. It's significantly easier than Bloodborne, and on PS5 it looks/plays amazing. I'd go so far as to say DSR has the best graphics of any game I've ever seen on a console.

Bloodborne is a little dated with its 30 FPS, and it's also pretty hard. It's my favorite game in the series though.

I'd say Demon Remake, then Bloodborne, then the Dark trilogy. However, rumors are flying that a Bloodborne remaster is on the way some time in the next year and a half, so you may want to go with the Dark trilogy and play Bloodborne last for that reason.

I'm gonna re-play Demon Remake sooner or later myself, probably after I finish the ER NG+ (so in a few months).

• 1Like

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Demons Souls, with the exception of one or two specific parts, is vastly easier than any game in the series. People just remember it being hard because it was the first game. With the exception of the last real boss, all of the boss fights were easily cheesable with pretty obvious tactical choices. Unpopular opinion, but baseline Bloodborne was probably the second easiest game in the series (especially once you got the Ludwings and maxed it) because it had (at least in the base game) a very narrow set of playstyle options. Im not to Milenia yet, so I cant comment on her, but DS3 had the three direct hardest fights (Storm King and Midir) in the series, while DS1 had the nastiest difficulty spike blocker (4 Kings) of any game.

Short version is if you like the legacy dungeons and want to play something easier, Demons Souls remake is gorgeous and stands up to current games. The others are purely personal taste, but all worthy in their own way. The open world aspect is really the one majorly unique part of Elden Ring that sets it apart (and makes it accessable), but you largely will not find that in the other games.

• 2Like

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
I’m finding myself not really enjoying any other action games currently after getting through ng++++ on Elden ring (I have literally nothing else to accomplish in this game).

i booted up monster hunter world because its free but it’s just so limited. Tried Arkham Knight and hated it when it pigeonholed me into the batmobile. Got the Demon’s souls remake but blew through that (I played the shit out of it when it came out on ps3) and didn’t really find myself enjoying it much because it’s just a reminder on how the quality of Fromsoftware has skyrocketed since then.

I had to start up Secret of Monkey Island and I feel like I’m a junkie taking methadone just to keep the edge off until the shakes stop.

• 1Worf

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I played Subnautica a bit when I started to feel myself wanting to get out of Elden Ring. I think something about survival-craft games helped me lose the itch with all the busy work.

• 2Like

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
I played Subnautica a bit when I started to feel myself wanting to get out of Elden Ring. I think something about survival-craft games helped me lose the itch with all the busy work.
I legit thought about playing that again and just fucking around with base building. The two part magic moments when A: you find land and B: when you discover there’s aliens is something that can’t be recreated by second play throughs though.

• 1Like

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I legit thought about playing that again and just fucking around with base building. The two part magic moments when A: you find land and B: when you discover there’s aliens is something that can’t be recreated by second play throughs though.

True, I got to the Ghost River and then said "meh". However, it was still addictive up to that point. I almost thought about another The Forest run, but I managed to shake off ER enough to just play new games. lol

• 1Like

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
If youve already beaten it before, a hardcore run is pretty fun

• 1Like

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I’m finding myself not really enjoying any other action games currently after getting through ng++++ on Elden ring (I have literally nothing else to accomplish in this game).

i booted up monster hunter world because its free but it’s just so limited. Tried Arkham Knight and hated it when it pigeonholed me into the batmobile. Got the Demon’s souls remake but blew through that (I played the shit out of it when it came out on ps3) and didn’t really find myself enjoying it much because it’s just a reminder on how the quality of Fromsoftware has skyrocketed since then.

I had to start up Secret of Monkey Island and I feel like I’m a junkie taking methadone just to keep the edge off until the shakes stop.

This is actually a real deal. Elden Ring catharsis. The game is just SO mind blowingly good with everything, it is IMPOSSIBLE to go back to other games. And it isn't just one thing, it's a combination of TRUE open world exploration, atmosphere, mystery, game play, variations, coop, etc - with every bullet point firing on all cylinders.

Coupled with the sad fact that we all know we will never see a game of this caliber for a LONG time as everyone else will go back to the POI Map of fake exploration, and mediocre everything else surrounding it not taking any solid chances in the name of "We have had 45 meetings today on how a door should open and alert the player how the door opens"....

• 3Solidarity
  • 3Like
Reactions: 5 users

Warpath

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Stayed up to 3:30 last night. Latest I've stayed up playing a game in a while. Have been working my way through Caelid, and killed Radan in a couple of tries. The castle was bugged and didn't have any monsters other than the two lions, but figured out how to fix that and went in and work my way through it.

Tried going into the catacombs that's on the beach, I got my ass handed to me. That place seems like it's a much higher level then the immediate content beforehand.

Decided to go over to the Divine Tower, and started working my way through that. That place seems like it's a weird jump and enemy scaling, too. The jumping stuff is a nightmare, but got down to the basement gracepoint, and then proceeded to spend over an hour trying to kill the godskin apostle. He was way harder than Radan, and I guess it's just the small space you fight him in. I tried lots of different tactics and loadouts, I just could not beat the guy. Got them down to a hit or two left and miscalculated a Dodge and got killed after having an exhausted all of my pots. Yelled out and anger, and woke the wife up.

Ended up moving to a different zone, it was exploring the volcano mountain. I've been bouncing around between zones just exploring and nibbling away at the content. Found the star beast, and spent another half hour fighting him, but finally managed to kill it. Took the jaw weapon, and I went back and one shot the godskin bastard with the gravity power. Made it so much easier. Decided to pack it in for the evening.

I'm still just amazed at how awesome the game is. I don't even think I'm close to beating it, and I've got 120 hours sunk in. It's just so well done.

/Dear diary
I

halp

went through that castle yesterday, no mobs and all the doors wouldn't prompt me to open. thought it was strange but didn't realize it was bugged.

just a reload from main menu?

• 1Solidarity

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is actually a real deal. Elden Ring catharsis. The game is just SO mind blowingly good with everything, it is IMPOSSIBLE to go back to other games. And it isn't just one thing, it's a combination of TRUE open world exploration, atmosphere, mystery, game play, variations, coop, etc - with every bullet point firing on all cylinders.

Coupled with the sad fact that we all know we will never see a game of this caliber for a LONG time as everyone else will go back to the POI Map of fake exploration, and mediocre everything else surrounding it not taking any solid chances in the name of "We have had 45 meetings today on how a door should open and alert the player how the door opens"....

Yup, been in a complete game drought since finishing this, which isn't a bad thing I guess. I just stare at my steam library, thinking 'meh' to everything, and launching ER in hopes i'll get a little bit of that pure ER ecstasy again. Maybe with its massive success it'll cause some sort of shift in the industry regarding open world development. Nobody will be able to do what FROM has done here, but maybe one dev will take heed. I'm hoping the devs from various studios that originally cried out about how ER was 'bad' are the vocal minority.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>

This is 100% true - I fired up Lost Ark last night to try and catch up..... couldn't play for more than an hour and a half. I have also tried to get into HFW (which I'm sure is a great game) and Tiny Tina's and can't be bothered to play them. I'm sitting over here daydreaming about a DLC for Elden Ring, trying funky builds, going through quest guides etc. I'm pretty sure at this point this will be the last 10/10 game ever made (unless FROM makes an Elden Ring in the BB universe...!!!). CDPR, Rockstar, Bethesda etc all seem completely incapable of creating magic again (either through hiring policies, talent leaving/forced out, management/ownership etc).

• 1Truth!