Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Started a new character instead of NG+. Tried astrologer and it is really easy mode early on at least. Picked up a few spells and got a few levels and beat Margit in 2 tries. Also beat the Caria manor boss at lvl 20 after a few tries for the spell she drops.

Not sure if I want to continue or just respec my other char to do a mage build in NG+. He is a bit overleveled now though I think.

What's the level rec for various difficulties?

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
There are two fights associated with Fia if I recall.
There are I believe 3 chariot dungeons, one in Limgrave and two in the Atlas plateau area.
And the place where you get warped to is the Volcano Manor
There is 1 chariot dungeon in Limgrave, 1 in Capital Outskirts, and 1 in Mt. Gelmir.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So far on my NG+ run I'm trying to do it without Spirit Ashes, as I used them in every boss fight on my first run through.

View attachment 410177

Likely not possible doing an incantation run. There's very few incantations that could be used throughout a fight to kill a boss. It'd be worth watching someone attempting it for sure.

I just don't see it due to load up time on incants specifically in Elden Ring. They rolled some casting times back in patch 104 but really it was too little considering how bad incantation is with casting time already. a 20% decrease in casting time wasn't even felt.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Started a new character instead of NG+. Tried astrologer and it is really easy mode early on at least. Picked up a few spells and got a few levels and beat Margit in 2 tries. Also beat the Caria manor boss at lvl 20 after a few tries for the spell she drops.

Not sure if I want to continue or just respec my other char to do a mage build in NG+. He is a bit overleveled now though I think.

I'm having problems getting motivated for NG+ myself. I did some castle but without scoring "fresh loot" and fresh progression on the character, the reward just isn't the same.

I also planned on a sorc run, and I am in a similar predicament right now. I can respec into sorc and continue, or start a new character and sorc from scratch.

It's tough to log into NG+ it's good to know I'm not the only one having problems with the decision. I've barely played since NG+

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Likely not possible doing an incantation run. There's very few incantations that could be used throughout a fight to kill a boss. It'd be worth watching someone attempting it for sure.
Cloud of Flied before they nerfed it was one. Other than that, its Rot Breath to apply Rot to a boss. Incantations (and faith in general) really got the short end of the stick in this game.

• 1Like

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
yx15fn8lyhw81.jpg
Ash of War: Ear Bite

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

I just don't see it due to load up time on incants specifically in Elden Ring. They rolled some casting times back in patch 104 but really it was too little considering how bad incantation is with casting time already. a 20% decrease in casting time wasn't even felt.
I'm using DMGS and Sorceries.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Cloud of Flied before they nerfed it was one. Other than that, its Rot Breath to apply Rot to a boss. Incantations (and faith in general) really got the short end of the stick in this game.

I did a incant run but it was only possible with ashes, and even then, it was pretty challenging at times and I almost broke several times and respec'd. When I hit a snag it'd be 20-30 attempts on a boss. STR might say "Yeah asshole, well a snag for STR is 100 attempts". It's splitting hairs. Incant sucks, regardless, compared to the other spellcasting school (sorcery)

I imagine a no-ash incant run can't even finish the game. I just can't see it. Even Swarm of Flies was not going to get it done, plenty of bleed immune shit. Then what? Surviving for rot on a endgame area boss isn't feasible, you're on borrowed time with a lot of these bosses due to the RNG in Elden Ring compared to other Souls games. Output per cast allowed becomes a major hurdle. Incantation only has 2 windows for output per boss typically.

I got Maliketh down with incant (freeze) BUT the guard outside Maliketh's room was 100 attempts to clear. Why? Because no windows to cast besides 2 windows at the opener. 5k-7k per cast, and the sentinel has close to 20k hp. Getting additional damage down on that was the most challenging fight I had out of all the bosses as incant. That mini boss tree sentinel outside Maliketh's was ridiculously hard.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider

My mage is now currently up to the hidden zone. It is remarkably easier than a melee run so far. When I got to the ice area, the first ruins which were a very in the face difficulty spike as a melee as the regular mobs there hit harder than any boss in the entirety of the game before that part. At the time I got to them I had done Rannis quest and had the darkmoon greatsword and a +9 carian staff. Used Rannis moon and two spells later they were dead. Cleared the entire area without using a health pot. That place was death central for me for a while as a melee, and ended up just rushing the loot cellar.

I am going full power cheese. Using a +9 darkmoon greatsword +9 carian staff, 80 int, and going ice. Also spamming equip load and have the Ranni hat, but the goat armor so I have close to 80 poise as a mage at medium load. Have the comet, and the flask for long cast + damage. And have the perfume that gives a free hit equipped. Mimic also uses all those things and often uses the free hit flask (which also hits me) and uses comet and loves to spam Rannis moon spell for some reason. For instance I struggled a lot with the 2nd commander as melee, but 4 swings of the ice sword spell that drops from the dragon killed the adds (that spell is so ridiculously powerful), then once mimic got aggro, the comet oneshot the commander. It's so cheese it's fun. Mimic is also FAR better as a mage than melee. My equipment has the poise and health as my melee, but the DPS from the mimic is far greater than when using the starforge swords at +10.

Not sure if I've died to a major boss yet, but not up to the halig tree, nor done fire giant.

Don't think I've ever done a pure mage build for any souls game. This makes me want to go back and revisit them. Are mages this powerful in all of them?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Just finished my 100% run. Best game they've made. Hopeful for some DLC that will be chonky.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
My mage is now currently up to the hidden zone. It is remarkably easier than a melee run so far. When I got to the ice area, the first ruins which were a very in the face difficulty spike as a melee as the regular mobs there hit harder than any boss in the entirety of the game before that part. At the time I got to them I had done Rannis quest and had the darkmoon greatsword and a +9 carian staff. Used Rannis moon and two spells later they were dead. Cleared the entire area without using a health pot. That place was death central for me for a while as a melee, and ended up just rushing the loot cellar.

I am going full power cheese. Using a +9 darkmoon greatsword +9 carian staff, 80 int, and going ice. Also spamming equip load and have the Ranni hat, but the goat armor so I have close to 80 poise as a mage at medium load. Have the comet, and the flask for long cast + damage. And have the perfume that gives a free hit equipped. Mimic also uses all those things and often uses the free hit flask (which also hits me) and uses comet and loves to spam Rannis moon spell for some reason. For instance I struggled a lot with the 2nd commander as melee, but 4 swings of the ice sword spell that drops from the dragon killed the adds (that spell is so ridiculously powerful), then once mimic got aggro, the comet oneshot the commander. It's so cheese it's fun. Mimic is also FAR better as a mage than melee. My equipment has the poise and health as my melee, but the DPS from the mimic is far greater than when using the starforge swords at +10.

Not sure if I've died to a major boss yet, but not up to the halig tree, nor done fire giant.

Don't think I've ever done a pure mage build for any souls game. This makes me want to go back and revisit them. Are mages this powerful in all of them?

Actually sounds pretty badass, I saw that video of Radagon / Elden Beast getting nuked down in like 30 seconds, I have to try that at some point, haha.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Actually sounds pretty badass, I saw that video of Radagon / Elden Beast getting nuked down in like 30 seconds, I have to try that at some point, haha.

Sorc can one shot bosses with the right gearspec. 30 seconds is a really long fight.

Sorc can do 30,000 - 45,000 damage in a single round. I don't promote sorcs playing that way though. But the option exists.

• 1Like

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Sorc can one shot bosses with the right gearspec. 30 seconds is a really long fight.

Sorc can do 30,000 - 45,000 damage in a single round. I don't promote sorcs playing that way though. But the option exists.

Yeah, I oneshot a few bosses and I am not maxed out in DPS. For that I'd have to level up the staff that uses more FP for more damage and switch to that before using comet. But already stupid DPS. I tried it with Morgott. He was at 90% HP after the moon hit and I used comet. HP bar started going down, heard stagger sound and he fell down, then I assume he tried to transition to phase 2 as he started glowing, but died before that happened. Maybe 5 seconds after beam hit? Setting up the shot took most of the time.

I already did him as melee so don't feel bad. Can git good or git stupid powerful. Both work!

• 1Like

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider

I did the melee thing already so it would be pretty cool to just obliterate bosses that gave me trouble in the other playthrough!

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I did the melee thing already so it would be pretty cool to just obliterate bosses that gave me trouble in the other playthrough!

It's cool FromSoft decided to let people have fun that way.

There's not just one way to get stupidly powerful as a sorc spec-- theres a few different gearspecs and spells you can go with.

You sort of progress in massive power spikes throughout, and you learn the big daddy mother of all towards end game. Not everyone utilizes it, but it's there if you want a sweet revenge on Elden Ring bosses.

It is nice to be able to lower the boom.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
God I fucking suck at this game. I just spent like an hour and a half on the east caelid putrid tree boss. I’m level 99 too with a plus 5 somber wep. Even used some fire grease and shit.

I don’t get it. I one shot Margit at lvl 30ish? One shot godrick. A couple levels later. And I’m getting fucking creamed now by shit like that and the faggot gargoyle outside giant homeless dog man’s house. Tree died finally. I thought this area was about Lvl 40ish content and a plus 3 wep.

any tips on the gargoyles’ special axe whirlwind of red death? I also keep fucking up the charge then dive. The dive hesitation fucks with me but I feel he tracks me with the dive if I try to just all together roll out

also took me like 10 attempts to figure out rotten tree scarlet rot didn’t fully AE. Scarlet rot is some fucking bullshit motherfucking ass gas. Fucking game.

• 1Like

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I can’t believe I used to tank high level heroic and mythic raids. I can’t dodge for shit in this game. I swear I’m getting old. Just shoot me.

• 6Worf
  • 1Double Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
God I fucking suck at this game. I just spent like an hour and a half on the east caelid putrid tree boss. I’m level 99 too with a plus 5 somber wep. Even used some fire grease and shit.

I don’t get it. I one shot Margit at lvl 30ish? One shot godrick. A couple levels later. And I’m getting fucking creamed now by shit like that and the faggot gargoyle outside giant homeless dog man’s house. Tree died finally. I thought this area was about Lvl 40ish content and a plus 3 wep.

any tips on the gargoyles’ special axe whirlwind of red death? I also keep fucking up the charge then dive. The dive hesitation fucks with me but I feel he tracks me with the dive if I try to just all together roll out

also took me like 10 attempts to figure out rotten tree scarlet rot didn’t fully AE. Scarlet rot is some fucking bullshit motherfucking ass gas. Fucking game.

That gargoyle is a real cocksucker and definitely not for a level 40. +5 weapon seems kind of weak for level 99, too.

He can be cheesed by standing on the elevated platform next to the stairs. He can't hit you from down below so you can use whatever ranged option you got with no risk