Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'd say the two underground zones are probably easier than caelid. Plus Caelid kinda has a difficult spike between the first half and 2nd half
Agreed. I got fucking rolled in Caelid at first. One of the underground areas I had a pretty hard time with at first too. Had those fucking antler guys.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
If you plan to play the DLC, don’t NG+ yet. It basically levels everything up, and you’re likely to get your ass handed to you even more than you would in the DLC on NG.
Will that be the case if I've got a 150 plus character. I don't remember how high level I was, but I was up there, and had a lot of the different weapons and armors and what have you. At the last thing I was using was the beast claw star deal, and that allowed me to pretty much wreck stuff.

Should I just roll a new character, I think my original guy was a confessor, but I guess if I was going to do whatever I'd make a samurai, that way I get the katana and a bow off the bat.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Will that be the case if I've got a 150 plus character. I don't remember how high level I was, but I was up there, and had a lot of the different weapons and armors and what have you. At the last thing I was using was the beast claw star deal, and that allowed me to pretty much wreck stuff.

Should I just roll a new character, I think my original guy was a confessor, but I guess if I was going to do whatever I'd make a samurai, that way I get the katana and a bow off the bat.
If you were 150 a new game will be easier for quite a while. However, again, you still have a lot of game left to finish to start a new game -- you can only do that after you beat the final boss.

I would probably stick with your character because you're still pretty strong with a lot of options and by the time you finish you'll be close to 180 I imagine. If you want different builds you just use a larval tear to reset your stats (though they're not unlimited).

• 2Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
If you were 150 a new game will be easier for quite a while. However, again, you still have a lot of game left to finish to start a new game -- you can only do that after you beat the final boss.

I would probably stick with your character because you're still pretty strong with a lot of options and by the time you finish you'll be close to 180 I imagine. If you want different builds you just use a larval tear to reset your stats (though they're not unlimited).
Yeah if I remember I think I still have two or three of them. I never respect and was doing a faith strength build. I'm sure it's a crappy layout, but I guess that's what I was trying to figure out whether it's worth going ahead and finishing the first play of the game, and then firing up a new game with the expansion.

I don't remember much about the early game stuff other than bits and pieces. I guess the question is there a lot of stuff that I've got to do to knock the game out and flip it to new game.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>

FromSoft DLC is always tuned to be the most challenging/tough stuff. In NG+ it will be extremely difficult, I’d recommend you not experience it for the first time there. Level 150 in your current game is a good place to be.

• 2Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
FromSoft DLC is always tuned to be the most challenging/tough stuff. In NG+ it will be extremely difficult, I’d recommend you not experience it for the first time there. Level 150 in your current game is a good place to be.
Maybe I'll just fire up a new run. Make a samurai, and to go in guns blazing to get back to trying to be gud...

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bald Brah

Molten Core Raider
Maybe I'll just fire up a new run. Make a samurai, and to go in guns blazing to get back to trying to be gud...

The initial starting class is meaningless. It just sets your starting equipment and some classes start at different levels from 1-12 or so. All the different starting equipment can be found in the game too.

• 2Like

nu_11

good video summarizing the theme of the Dark Souls series (spoilers obviously)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Is the the "official" order of what areas to do?

I'm in Caelid right now (just beat Commander O'Neill), I beat everything in Limgrave and most of Liurnia (including Raya Lucaria) but I never did SIofra River or AInsel river
Just play the game. Don't listen to these bozo autists and all their "min/max" bullshit they copied from YouTube.

Just have fun and enjoy one of the best gaming experiences in the past decade+.

Now, if your goal is to speedrun to the end for DLC shit.. sure. Go the "optimal" route. But I can't imagine sticking to some conformity cuck version of how you "should" progress on a first playthrough.

• 3Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
The initial starting class is meaningless. It just sets your starting equipment and some classes start at different levels from 1-12 or so. All the different starting equipment can be found in the game too.
Hello I think that's why I originally played confessor, but if I'm going to redo it again it'd be nice to have a katana and a bow right off the bat, pence wanting to run with a samurai, don't think the armor is that bad either.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I'd say the two underground zones are probably easier than caelid. Plus Caelid kinda has a difficult spike between the first half and 2nd half
Yeah but you can't get into Nokron without killing Rahdahn right?

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I am really hoping some of the new weapons mentioned like unlimited throwing perfumes and weapons type make it to the old world during release. So one can start from scratch with the so many on the offer

perhaps they may indeed be available via merchants in the old world.
This has never been the case in other From Soft games so I wouldn't hold your breath.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Caelid definitely is intended for two different level ranges.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Well my new toon soon turned into old habits. Dex is fine but I kept getting my ass handed to me so I got a 2h greatsword and 'got gud' in their ass. Guess it's hulk smash again. I did look and my ER toon that I finished the game with is level 271. I can use him if this one doesn't work out. I forgot how gorgeous and awesome this game is. New rig (7800x3d + 7900xtx) is running this rock solid in 4k at 60+fps.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Reporter. Stock Pals CEO. Head of AI.
<Gold Donor>
Caelid definitely is intended for two different level ranges.
Had a decently easy time in West Caelid but East Caelid is definitely a step up, especially with the Rot crap everywhere.

I'm level 60 right now but I don't think I'm ready for Castle Redmane and all the dragons in Caelid are beating my ass. Am I even supposed to fight them, or am I supposed to come back later for them?

Not sure where to go next, I'll probably go back to Limgrave and try to do the Siofra River

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Level 60 I'd knock out the two underworlds then work your way to Altus Plateau

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Is it heresy that I have never played this game, any of the Dark Souls series, nor Bloodborne?

I really wish I understood why these games don't grab me and suck me in like they do a lot of people because I can see that they're objectively fantastic games.

The only conclusion I can come to is that I play games for fun (wow, right?), not achievement, and the masochistic self-flagellation that you have to endure before you 'succeed' sounds terrible. Though, to be fair, given my relative lack of interest I haven't taken an in-depth look at any of these games so I could be wildly off-target.

That said, I have come extremely close to buying Elden Ring.

I prepare my body for your admonishment.
You are really missing out on elden ring. I understand some people’s dislike for the previous games, you have to do the same thing over and over until you beat it and move on to the next thing. Some people don’t have that kind of patience. I don’t recommend them to people unless I know they’re patient enough for something like that.

I have no trouble recommending Elden ring though. If something kills you, go do something else and come back and kill it later. The open world allows you to not be hard locked into overcoming the same thing over and over til you beat it. You can just go do something else. I have a casual gamer neighbor and he was blown away by it, loves the game.

• 3Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Plus so many of the bosses are optional, that if a boss type is giving you issues, you can just skip it. There are surprisingly few mandatory bosses considering how big the game is.

• 1Like

Bald Brah

Molten Core Raider
Is the the "official" order of what areas to do?

I'm in Caelid right now (just beat Commander O'Neill), I beat everything in Limgrave and most of Liurnia (including Raya Lucaria) but I never did SIofra River or AInsel river

Not official but stuff that's in the right level range. You know you're in the right area if the smiting stones and glove gloveworts are the proper level for you to advance your weapons. By skipping areas you miss out on weapons and upgrades. Not a huge deal since the game is so big. But you will also miss out on advancing certain quest lines.