Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Yeah if I remember I think I still have two or three of them. I never respect and was doing a faith strength build. I'm sure it's a crappy layout, but I guess that's what I was trying to figure out whether it's worth going ahead and finishing the first play of the game, and then firing up a new game with the expansion.

I don't remember much about the early game stuff other than bits and pieces. I guess the question is there a lot of stuff that I've got to do to knock the game out and flip it to new game.
I would just keep rolling with the the first character, look up a build via “Chase the bro” on youtube and follow his stats/setup best to your level. NG+ is the only way to get more weapons to +10/+25 and different endings/items for achievements but beyond that not really important.
Starting new now at your pace you might get to the DLC in a few months.
A new game isn’t the answer at your progression.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The only advice I'd offer to a fresh player is play aggressively. Most of the mobs are vicious bastards who punish hesitation. The number of times I've died to a target on less than 10% because I was rolling around trying to pop a pot rather than just hitting it one more time...

If you find you're clearly outclassed then run like a girl until you level up or find a weapon/art that levels the playing field.

Oh, and unless you have healing spells give Revenants a wide berth.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Had a decently easy time in West Caelid but East Caelid is definitely a step up, especially with the Rot crap everywhere.

I'm level 60 right now but I don't think I'm ready for Castle Redmane and all the dragons in Caelid are beating my ass. Am I even supposed to fight them, or am I supposed to come back later for them?

Not sure where to go next, I'll probably go back to Limgrave and try to do the Siofra River
This might be helpful. If you have not finished Liurnia or the first underground I'd go there.
1000004779.jpg

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Is it heresy that I have never played this game, any of the Dark Souls series, nor Bloodborne?

I really wish I understood why these games don't grab me and suck me in like they do a lot of people because I can see that they're objectively fantastic games.
ER was my first and only FromSoft game. It's absolutely, positively worth grabbing and investing the time in, even if that's the only game you have time for due to RL conflicts.

The game is indeed a challenge but that meant it was also rewarding when you beat those challenges. If nothing else, it's certainly memorable to be sure.

The boss mechanics, the badass cutscenes, the incredible and absolutely epic artwork just blow you away at times. So much so, I often showed my wife some of it, who is not a gamer at all, and even she thought it was pretty badass.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well my new toon soon turned into old habits. Dex is fine but I kept getting my ass handed to me so I got a 2h greatsword and 'got gud' in their ass. Guess it's hulk smash again. I did look and my ER toon that I finished the game with is level 271. I can use him if this one doesn't work out. I forgot how gorgeous and awesome this game is. New rig (7800x3d + 7900xtx) is running this rock solid in 4k at 60+fps.

This was me as well. Decided on my recent playthrough that I was going to take a completely different route than the Dex/Bleed/RoB build I used the two times before. Halfway through annd two Larval Tears later, I was back to my old build with the lone difference was I was using the Godskin Peeler over the RoB, lol.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Is it heresy that I have never played this game, any of the Dark Souls series, nor Bloodborne?

I really wish I understood why these games don't grab me and suck me in like they do a lot of people because I can see that they're objectively fantastic games.

The only conclusion I can come to is that I play games for fun (wow, right?), not achievement, and the masochistic self-flagellation that you have to endure before you 'succeed' sounds terrible. Though, to be fair, given my relative lack of interest I haven't taken an in-depth look at any of these games so I could be wildly off-target.

That said, I have come extremely close to buying Elden Ring.

I prepare my body for your admonishment.
ER's difficulty is really overrated. A little bit of meta gaming (leveling up, getting gear/build advice, doing the content in the "right' order) makes it merely a hardish game.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>

The only conclusion I can come to is that I play games for fun (wow, right?), not achievement, and the masochistic self-flagellation that you have to endure before you 'succeed' sounds terrible. Though, to be fair, given my relative lack of interest I haven't taken an in-depth look at any of these games so I could be wildly off-target.

That said, I have come extremely close to buying Elden Ring.

I prepare my body for your admonishment.
Bloodborne was my first and favorite FromSoft game. It took me several attempts to get into it before it finally clicked for me. Been in love ever since with the series. In my opinion its the greatest role playing series of all time. Start anywhere and go. Elden Ring would be perfect, it's probably the most accessible as it's the most modern.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
From game difficulty is never overrated. Depending on your weapon choice some bosses are easy peasy and others make you want to dropkick your TV.

They always nail making the game difficult without making it unfair or stupid. The Haligtree is a pain in the ass but visually stunning and interesting to traverse.

Calling googling a walk through a "bit of meta gaming" and using that as proof the game is only "hardish" is some false internet bravado garbage

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
From game difficulty is never overrated.
Here is how many people who haven't played ER rate its difficulty: "masochistic self-flagellation that you have to endure before you 'succeed'".

Do you think that is an overating of its difficulty?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
ER was my first From game and I went in 100% blind and never used any spoiler sites. It was hard as hell until you really learned the system/stats etc but the game/world was so amazing that the "you died" screen could not deter me.

• 1Like

Bald Brah

Molten Core Raider
Here is how many people who haven't played ER rate its difficulty: "masochistic self-flagellation that you have to endure before you 'succeed'".

It's only difficult because it doesn't explain how itemization works. You need to prioritize leveling up your weapon over everything and collecting tears and trinkets that exponentially stack and up its damage. You also need to focus on one or 2 specific stats and use a weapon that scales off that stat. Weapon arts and whetstones also greatly affect damage output. With the right combination of stats, skills, and equipment you can trivialize even the end game boss fights.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I never played a FromSoft game before ER and I wouldn't call it "masochistic self-flagellation that you have to endure before you 'succeed'". The main reason being that there was always something else to do if I got stuck somewhere. I always felt like I was still progressing in some way, especially once I accepted it's okay to lose some runes now and then.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Yes. ER isn’t even close to that.

• 2Like

Penance

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Sounds like some game journo shit.

I remember my first playthrough, blind, I came across those 3 crystal dudes in caleid? Way under leveled, horrible build for them, it took me all night to beat them. Best feeling ever.

On a somewhat related note, my new playthrough and this boss kill hit just right (my health and pots)

Screenshot_20240611_105827_Discord.jpg

• 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
If anyone needs extra items, runes, armor... anything for starting characters I'd be more than happy to drop them to you boys.

I could definitely go for some drops on my NG, with 8 days to prepare for Shadow and a ton of stuff to do IRL so not a lot of time.

What are good "twink drops" in Elden Ring? I guess a lot depends on what my build is, and I really don't know yet. Lemme see what I have equipped on my old file and maybe I can basically just get the same things on the new one. Just started it last night.

• 1Like

Bald Brah

Molten Core Raider
I could definitely go for some drops on my NG, with 8 days to prepare for Shadow and a ton of stuff to do IRL so not a lot of time.

What are good "twink drops" in Elden Ring? I guess a lot depends on what my build is, and I really don't know yet. Lemme see what I have equipped on my old file and maybe I can basically just get the same things on the new one. Just started it last night.

Well the golden great sword from elden beast is a massive boost to rune farming.

Rykards sword with the bonus healing and some of the best str/fire build damage is pretty awesome. You can't really grab it early as you have to at least enter Altus Plateau and even then if you want to do all the Volcano Manor quests you have to get halfway through Mountaintop of the Giants.

• 1Like