Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
What exactly does New game Plus do? I don't remember, when is the game much more challenging with it or is it just kind of whatever?

I guess I kind of want to just go through it again and have a new experience, which is why I was asking if I could burn through the last segment of the game quickly, and then start everything out anew, and still have my same character.

Rajaah Rajaah you know about this stuff, what are your thoughts?

Yeah definitely stay on NG for the DLC.

NG+ is for continuing with another playthrough while continuing to have the enemy levels scale upward as you go. Like those old NES games (Contra? Ghosts and Goblins? Can't memba) where the game would just keep starting over.

In my case I'm having to start a NG for the DLC (with no free time) because I went too deep into the NG pluses. I'll probably end up plowing through most of it like the day before the DLC launch or something. Taking a few days off for this DLC, and I'm already a week behind on real life right now and trying to catch up this week, so...lul. After next week, the next few weeks are going to suck.

Souls 3 really sucked up the time that woulda gone to setting up ER, but I'm glad I did it. Update on that forthcoming

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
ER's difficulty is really overrated. A little bit of meta gaming (leveling up, getting gear/build advice, doing the content in the "right' order) makes it merely a hardish game.

I saw a video that was like "A lot of people get two-shotted later in ER because they don't level their Vigor. You have to put points in Vigor to raise your HP" and realized that a ton of the "ER is super hard" people probably have never played an RPG before.

While it has some tough bosses later on, ER at the outset is not hard. Anybody who thinks it is, either isn't leveling Vigor, or went into Caelid way too early.

In other news, this game is as mind-bogglingly gorgeous as I remember:

1900ed8e8ba54-screenshotUrl.jpg

Only question is, should I play on FPS mode or high-res ray-tracing mode? The latter (seen here) looks incredible, better than I remember even. However the former is more what I'm used to now. I could get used to the latter though. Even on the max settings the FPS isn't terrible and seems to go a bit above 30 sometimes, especially indoor areas where it feels more like 45.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
The visual differences between the two are so hilariously small, and the framerate differences so noticeable, that this has never been a question I entertain.

Performance for life.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I saw a video that was like "A lot of people get two-shotted later in ER because they don't level their Vigor. You have to put points in Vigor to raise your HP" and realized that a ton of the "ER is super hard" people probably have never played an RPG before.

While it has some tough bosses later on, ER at the outset is not hard. Anybody who thinks it is, either isn't leveling Vigor, or went into Caelid way too early.

In other news, this game is as mind-bogglingly gorgeous as I remember:

View attachment 532569
Only question is, should I play on FPS mode or high-res ray-tracing mode? The latter (seen here) looks incredible, better than I remember even. However the former is more what I'm used to now. I could get used to the latter though. Even on the max settings the FPS isn't terrible and seems to go a bit above 30 sometimes, especially indoor areas where it feels more like 45.
I feel like I would fuck up in combat so much if my FPS was down at 30-45. It would just feel like molasses. But the game is pretty. Theyve got a few forced mods out there that make it even nicer. But if you're already at 30-45 with just RT in ER.. I wouldnt push it. lol

Mr_Bungle

Recusant
<Gold Donor>
Rajaah Rajaah for massive damage and Boss stun potential try this.

Large Club with any Roar Ash of War (2 handed), Highland Axe (offhand for additional Roar buff just by holding it, regardless if you are 2 handing your main)

Roar Medallion, Axe talisman (enhanced charged heavy attacks usually 2-3 of these in a row breaks the bosses poise, maybe spice it up with a heavy jump attack) Both of these are fairly early game.

This shit drops Giants and Bosses if you can get the timing down.

1718245768818.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Dark Souls 3 IS BEATEN:

18ff98c491132-screenshotUrl.jpg

They went full Berserk towards the end with the eclipse.

18fff79e93620-screenshotUrl.jpg

For the most part I went through the game with the noob loincloth on for Fashion Souls, so I took a lot of damage in the lategame and was at a disadvantage.

1900eda280f78-screenshotUrl.jpg

Final score: Level 99 (beat the final boss at 87), around 22 hours. Had the advantage of playing the first half already and starting over, so the game kinda flew.

1900ed9278863-screenshotUrl.jpg

Still have Archdragon Peak (what a purdy and oddly out of place optional zone) and the DLCs to go, but I did everything else.

18ff7162acf79-screenshotUrl.jpg

Ashes of Ariandel is particularly mind-boggling in gorgeousness.

18ff716844a87-screenshotUrl.jpg

This has to be one of the greatest "ice zones" in gaming at this point.

18ff716c2bf71-screenshotUrl.jpg

Took out the Gravetender, nothing else yet. Might have to wait until after SOTE before I really hit the rest of DS3. Nameless King, Sister Friede, Dreg Heap, and Ringed City are still out there. What's up with Dreg Heap? Never heard of it before, and apparently it's a third DLC zone between the other two, that was included with Ringed City.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Wow!
Reactions: 6 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Dark Souls 3 IS BEATEN:

View attachment 532571
They went full Berserk towards the end with the eclipse.

View attachment 532572
For the most part I went through the game with the noob loincloth on for Fashion Souls, so I took a lot of damage in the lategame and was at a disadvantage.

View attachment 532576
Final score: Level 99 (beat the final boss at 87), around 22 hours. Had the advantage of playing the first half already and starting over, so the game kinda flew.

View attachment 532574
Still have Archdragon Peak (what a purdy and oddly out of place optional zone) and the DLCs to go, but I did everything else.

View attachment 532578
Ashes of Ariandel is particularly mind-boggling in gorgeousness.

View attachment 532579
This has to be one of the greatest "ice zones" in gaming at this point.

View attachment 532580
Took out the Gravetender, nothing else yet. Might have to wait until after SOTE before I really hit the rest of DS3. Nameless King, Sister Friede, Dreg Heap, and Ringed City are still out there. What's up with Dreg Heap? Never heard of it before, and apparently it's a third DLC zone between the other two, that was included with Ringed City.

You need to do Nameless King, Friede, and Gael.

• 1Like
  • 1Jonesing
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The visual differences between the two are so hilariously small, and the framerate differences so noticeable, that this has never been a question I entertain.

Performance for life.

I don't know, on this TV (65'' LG OLED C1) there is definitely a difference between the two. Detail and light effects are notably better on the 4K/40ish mode, while the FPS mode looks more "like a game" if that makes sense. It's closer to the PS4 version's fidelity. The FPS seems to go up and down though, and especially in the overworld it does dip and slow the game down a little. I guess I'll go with FPS mode just for consistency's sake, but I really hope the PS6 (or even PS5 Pro) is able to combine the two settings. FF7 Rebirth is another one where the graphics/ray-tracing mode looked remarkable and playing on FPS mode was shortchanging the visuals. Sucks having to shortchange these amazing-looking games just so they're playable. Something PC gamers have dealt with for ages, but as a console pleb I just want one solid choice that does the best it can in both categories. Unfortunately it sounds like PS5 Pro is gonna focus on improving the resolution / ray-tracing rather than focusing on getting the FPS up to match what they already have, which is the wrong avenue to pursue IMO.

Rajaah Rajaah for massive damage and Boss stun potential try this.

Large Club with any Roar Ash of War (2 handed), Highland Axe (offhand for additional Roar buff just by holding it, regardless if you are 2 handing your main)

Roar Medallion, Axe talisman (enhanced charged heavy attacks usually 2-3 of these in a row breaks the bosses poise, maybe spice it up with a heavy jump attack) Both of these are fairly early game.

This shit drops Giants and Bosses if you can get the timing down.

View attachment 532590

I didn't realize how many buffs and passives and so forth could be stacked in this game. ER never ceases to impress me, it's kinda nuts.

I've got very little free time for this between now and the DLC launch so it'd be cool to start with some of the lategame gear and not have to go as far / grind as much before next Wednesday.

Mr_Bungle Mr_Bungle was cool enough to give me some drops for this new ER file, but unfortunately he's on PC and I'm on PS5 so matching up was out of the question. If anyone on PS5 wants to make a backup save and give me some drops, lemme know. Looking for:

Eleonora's Poleblade
Sacred Relic Sword
Rivers of Blood
Moonveil
Carian Regal Scepter

Ash of War: Lion's Claw

Lord Souls

Deathbed Dress
Crimson Hood
Zamor Legwraps

Crimson Amber Medallion
Crimson Seed Talisman
Gold Scarab
Dragoncrest Greatshield Talisman
Erdtree's Favor
Radagon Icon
Carian Filigreed Crest
Lord of Blood's Exhultation

But really any of the above. Eleonora's Poleblade is probably the highest priority due to wanting to run that as my main weapon, at least for now. Sacred Relic Sword is second most important since I need that for lategame grinding to get the build where I want it for the DLC. Anyone who can drop a few things lemme know, I'll be parked at The First Step bonfire until I can actually get on.

Probably going to hit the game hard next Tuesday and just try to get up to where I can unlock the DLC, even if my levels/items aren't optimal by then.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Getting near the end of the game on my new playthrough on PC(originally 100%'d the game on PS5) and I feel like I had almost as much fun on this playthrough as I did going in blind on launch. Such an amazing game and I cannot wait for the DLC now.

• 4Like

Bald Brah

Silver Knight of the Realm
You can get lions claw right away. Just run down and grab the claymore from the castle at the bottom of limgrave. It's easy to grab. Or take a bunch of kukri and kill the lion at the smaller keep in caelid. You can get either one pretty early on, just have to dodge a couple enemies. No boss fights involved.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
What's a good place to lategame grind in Dark Souls 3? Level 99 is probably too low for the DLCs, Dreg Heap was a warzone and my character got shredded numerous times. Another 40 or 50 levels would probably put me at a more intended level for that and Ringed City.

Also still looking for someone to drop some ER items for me on PS5 so I can get up to speed quicker. Bueller...Bueller

Blueweed

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I just finished Godfrey solo at 99 for 4th talisman slot.
finished mogh and Radahn around 80,
am trying to under level abit for this character for dlc surprises

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
What's a good place to lategame grind in Dark Souls 3? Level 99 is probably too low for the DLCs, Dreg Heap was a warzone and my character got shredded numerous times. Another 40 or 50 levels would probably put me at a more intended level for that and Ringed City.

Also still looking for someone to drop some ER items for me on PS5 so I can get up to speed quicker. Bueller...Bueller
Once you have cleared Two Princes (or gotten the backdoor elevator to them) farming that long stair run in reverse is really easy and great XP. I generally always farm it to extinction on plays of DS3. The DLC with the giant underground tomb also has an area with big black chompy guys who are, with practice, easy to kill while dropping good materials and XP to boot.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hatorade

A nice asshole.

On the rooftops above the archive, there is a group of three Gertrude Knights. Bring a +10 dark dagger or the rapport spell to make em fight each other.
Takes only a few fights to find the easy backstabs for the one shot.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I've yet to beat the Caelid Bell Bearing Hunter. He's aggressive AF and hits like a truck.

He's one of those enemies you want to stick close to. If you're at range, he'll spam his bullshit sword-throwing nonsense too quick for you to respond.

• 4Like