Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

nu_11

Gaius, 2nd phase Mesmer, gold hippo, etc. Just the actual trashcan of Souls boss fights where it's nothing but a huge clusterfuck of camera problems, unreadable massive arena-wide attacks, non-step combo spam, etc. It ultimately doesn't even end up being especially difficult because the power scaling from the scadutree fragments is so nuts that you can chunk bosses for 20% of their health in a single jump attack, but that doesn't really lead to it being fun either. Bayle was sick at least.

You literally listed 3 bosses that are okay.

The real bosses with problems are Metyr and Radahn. Both of which have "undodgeable" attacks for melee characters.

Wicker giants are boring useless slogs

Fuck the wicker giants. FromSoft has a real problem of making open-world giant bosses actually interesting.

One thing you forgot to mention is that lots of new spells are borderline useless and lots of the new weapons are mid.This is a big part of the reason why I don't want to re-run the DLC with different builds. Maybe part of the reason for Bald Brah Bald Brah too?

I'm really hoping for new dungeon crawling games from FromSoft next. Even though Elden Ring is a good open-world game, it's still not great enough for me. Too much empty space. Their dungeons are great though!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
You literally listed 3 bosses that are okay.

The real bosses with problems are Metyr and Radahn. Both of which have "undodgeable" attacks for melee characters.

Fuck the wicker giants. FromSoft has a real problem of making open-world giant bosses actually interesting.

One thing you forgot to mention is that lots of new spells are borderline useless and lots of the new weapons are mid.This is a big part of the reason why I don't want to re-run the DLC with different builds. Maybe part of the reason for Bald Brah Bald Brah too?

I'm really hoping for new dungeon crawling games from FromSoft next. Even though Elden Ring is a good open-world game, it's still not great enough for me. Too much empty space. Their dungeons are great though!

I dunno, trying to deal with the camera during 2nd phase Mesmers giant flailing snake teleports was about as peak GarbageSouls as I've ever encountered. Yea Radahn was some nonsense, but maybe my ~80str brick build made it feel less stupid cause I could actually facetank a fair bit of it and let regen keep me from having to flask too much.

I see a lot of people complain that the new spells etc just aren't that good, but that's kinda just true of the entire game? Like how many sorcery or incants from the base base game are actually useful? It's not a long list. Same goes for weapons where there's like 10 useless weapons of each type then 1-3 with good enough scaling to be useful, depending on their movement.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Much as I like this DLC and this game, it kinda feels like they turned some of these DLC bosses into Punch-Out. If they wanted to make Sekiro 2, they should have just made Sekiro 2. That last boss is really emblematic of this.

Finished the last of it up today.

Miles worse than the base game. It's like they decided that the Elden Beast was the pinnacle of boss design and used that as their basis for every non-humanoid fight, and even some of the humanoid ones.

I only did like half of the SOTE bosses but I got the same impression. Elden Beast is not what you want to use as a template; it's like the worst mandatory fight in the base game.

I still think this is a contender for best DLC of all time, top five for sure and I'd love to rank it number 1, but I have to admit that most of that is off the strength of the overall game and the DLC stands on the shoulders of giants. The DLC on its own takes a step down in a number of areas. Still glad it exists.

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
IMG_5545.jpeg

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Since it's apparently never ever coming to PC, how does Bloodborne compare to Elden Ring (base game)? Or I guess I'm asking how 'get gud' do I need to be? Getting my shit pushed in over and over is not my idea of fun and on the PS5 I cannot mod around game flaws. It's only $20 on PS store but it's wasted money if I play it for 10 minutes and decide it's more like Dark Souls than say Sekiro or ER

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I gotta say I am in no way interested in slogging through the expansion in a NG+ to try different builds like I was the base game. It's not the remembrance bosses either. They were tough but got easier as you scadded up.

But I don't want to have to slog around the map reading spoilers to get those dumb fragments again. And I really don't feel like dealing with any more of those stupid furnace golems ever again. Dumbest enemy I've ever seen in any game. Take forever to kill and can always one shot you no matter what. Watching the youtube videos of them vs every boss shows how ridiculous they are.

This was my immediate thought on completing it as well. I did basically the entire thing as a ~70str 2h build and never got to mess with the insane myriad of dex/bleed weapons I picked up, but the idea of slogging through the entire base game + DLC fragment hunt again is like...naw I'm good.

I might respec a final time and try some degen arcane/dex build for the bits of the main game I have to finish, but I can't see starting another whole run.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I've been watching it on twitch some. It looks cool and interesting, but the combat looks entirely too complicated and beyond my abilities. Saw a video yesterday a build a mage with a giant lightning magic sword. Looked cool.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Since it's apparently never ever coming to PC, how does Bloodborne compare to Elden Ring (base game)? Or I guess I'm asking how 'get gud' do I need to be? Getting my shit pushed in over and over is not my idea of fun and on the PS5 I cannot mod around game flaws. It's only $20 on PS store but it's wasted money if I play it for 10 minutes and decide it's more like Dark Souls than say Sekiro or ER

It's much harder than Elden Ring base game since it doesn't let you just skip bosses and go around to level up and find better gear before trying them again. There are some twists and turns that somewhat let you go to other areas, but for the most part its progress is like DS. To move on, you need to kill X boss. It's much faster with the system in place to make you play more aggressively (you take damage, some of the damage is "temporary" and comes back if you damage mobs before it fades).

It doesn't have health vials that replenish, but items that drop from mobs that heal you. You might encounter times where you need to go to a lower level area and farm mobs for health items, though depending on skill level, maybe not.

That said, the atmosphere and aesthetics is probably the best they've ever done and there is a reason people want Bloodborne on PC, so they can play it again. Even locked to 30 fps, with horrendous loading times (on the original PS4), it's one of the best games I've ever played. In terms of the whole 'get good' thing though, it is up there. ER brought in a lot of new people to the souls genre. If Bloodborne released today, with just some updated HD sprites and 60fps, it would sell millions in days from the old players, and be hit with a "mixed" rating on steam within the next week as "new" players who started with ER will go "wtf this is too hard!". Not ER DLC last boss / Bayle hard, but more like if the first time you encountered Margit you "had" to fight him, no running around and come back and chunk him down. Then that is every boss. On my first run of the game, I don't think I oneshot any boss at all, and died quite a lot on my way to them, but it's not "unfair". It's rare to not see progress so to speak.

Go Axe at the beginning if you want an easier time and take some time at the beginning to learn to shoot enemies right as they attack, that's the "parry" mechanic of the game. Getting that down makes the game much easier.

Tl;dr - Game harder. Game one of the best ever made. You've already know "souls mechanics" so it won't be too bad. Buy it, but be prepared to die, learn, die less and fist pigs.

• 1Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Are the Blackgoal Knight's hitboxes just super fucky? His jump attack is landing 3 feet to my right and left, yet somehow still hits me? And his little straight line slash has "hit" me on multiple occasions, but I took no damage?
If its the giant mace/hammer ones, there is a secondary attack from a charged R2 on those weapons that they all use that makes a mini explosion (similar to the one for the Ruins GS) that has a hit box a lot bigger than it looks on screen. Its purely a ground attack so it can be jumped, making them very susceptible to jumping unga bunga. And a lot of collosal weapons have a dead zone in close where the hitbox simply does not connect (more prevelant in the expansion for sure), but you cant really take advantage of it because those types of Enemies will spam their shield charge if you are too close to them.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Do it, go tonitrus asap and have a good time. It is pinnacle against most bosses. Saw cleaver bleed is really good against bosses but it is basically a hidden mechanic and body parts you hit matter. Just don’t start with cane and you will be fine.

• 1Like

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
All DLC bosses down on my second toon except Radahn. I got him to phase 2 a few times but not really close to a kill yet.

My primary build centered around fire and Messmer's spear doesn't seem to do jack shit to him so I pivoted to a holy one instead. I tried the Euporia blade a few times but he almost always breaks my poise like it's nothing so gave up on that one. The one I've had the most luck with so far, and the one I used to finally kill Bayle, is the Uzi spear.

Probably gonna take a break for now though. Two mostly full runs is enough fun with this to last me for awhile.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I’ve lost interest tbh. I like a game where I can level up and revisit challenges that previously handed me my ass. This is just unfun when everything scales. I have zero sense of achievement and just feel lucky when I beat something. Getting raped by those stupid chain-casting fucks in the last zone is tedious and cheap.

Tried going back and exploring some of the earlier DLC zones to see if I missed anything but nope. Just empty and pretty to look at.

Seems ER was a one-off.

• 2Pathetic
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 2 users

Bald Brah

Molten Core Raider
I’ve lost interest tbh. I like a game where I can level up and revisit challenges that previously handed me my ass. This is just unfun when everything scales. I have zero sense of achievement and just feel lucky when I beat something. Getting raped by those stupid chain-casting fucks in the last zone is tedious and cheap.

Tried going back and exploring some of the earlier DLC zones to see if I missed anything but nope. Just empty and pretty to look at.

Seems ER was a one-off.

I don't even understand their reasoning behind the fragments.

To make the expansion accessible for people at level 150 or level 300?

Why not just set the difficulty more toward level 300? Change the scaling after 60 or 80 in a skill to be a little bit better. Sure it might invalidate some older content, but after you get all the extra talismans and gear from the expansion all the old stuff is invalidated anyway. Hell the last few bosses in the expansion were beyond pitiful too. I killed the bug saint and the finger lady without even changing my setup from what I used for exploration. They just melted to the blasphemous blade/sword of milos combo with some +fire dmg gear. Just blasted them out of existence 1st try without ever really being close to dying. And off handing sword of milos was useless for that fight since all it really does is give some jumping power stance attacks and regen mana on kills. It does give a tiny bit of bleed build up which raises attack power with the white mask helm so not totally useless, but I'd have been better off with a second fire affinity blade.

I walked through elden beast and radagon with barely a scratch after gearing up for Radahn 2.0. I started the expansion around level 170 and finished about 220.

Last edited:

nu_11

Seems ER was a one-off.

I don't even understand their reasoning behind the fragments.

To make the expansion accessible for people at level 150 or level 300?

Why not just set the difficulty more toward level 300? Change the scaling after 60 or 80 in a skill to be a little bit better. Sure it might invalidate some older content, but after you get all the extra talismans and gear from the expansion all the old stuff is invalidated anyway. Hell the last few bosses in the expansion were beyond pitiful too. I killed the bug saint and the finger lady without even changing my setup from what I used for exploration. They just melted to the blasphemous blade/sword of milos combo with some +fire dmg gear. Just blasted them out of existence 1st try without ever really being close to dying. And off handing sword of milos was useless for that fight since all it really does is give some jumping power stance attacks and regen mana on kills. It does give a tiny bit of bleed build up which raises attack power with the white mask helm so not totally useless, but I'd have been better off with a second fire affinity blade.

I walked through elden beast and radagon with barely a scratch after gearing up for Radahn 2.0. I started the expansion around level 170 and finished about 220.

There are still builds that trivialize the bosses. Yes even at lv.150. If you can't git gud then cheese it

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
That said, the atmosphere and aesthetics is probably the best they've ever done and there is a reason people want Bloodborne on PC, so they can play it again. Even locked to 30 fps, with horrendous loading times (on the original PS4), it's one of the best games I've ever played. In terms of the whole 'get good' thing though, it is up there. ER brought in a lot of new people to the souls genre. If Bloodborne released today, with just some updated HD sprites and 60fps, it would sell millions in days from the old players, and be hit with a "mixed" rating on steam within the next week as "new" players who started with ER will go "wtf this is too hard!". Not ER DLC last boss / Bayle hard, but more like if the first time you encountered Margit you "had" to fight him, no running around and come back and chunk him down. Then that is every boss.

If someone is asking if they should play Bloodborne, the answer is yes. Just be prepared that the first required boss is harder than Margit and that you can't go explore the world and come back.

I disagree that "every boss is like that" though, as few bosses gave me as much grief as Gascoigne. Rom did for some reason, and Shadows of Yharnam. For the most part though once I break through the Gascoigne wall, the rest of the game is fine.

First time I played I went with the Hunter's Axe and it sucked, first Souls game and everything felt slow. Restarted with the cane and it worker out a lot better, especially the whip form for crowd control, and it quickly became one of my favorite games. Now when I replay it I go Hunter's Axe though, knowing what I'm doing now. I've seen others say the Saw Cleaver is the meta. So really you can't go wrong on your first choice.

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
I think everything is effectively wrapped up except for the final area. Finger Mother was more irritating than she should have been. I don't know if I got unlucky or what, but she constantly seemed to fly around blasting the giant super laser, and whenever I got close she'd turn sideways and go into the finger steamroll bullshit. After she was finished I legit laughed out loud when priest guy appeared in the penis robe, calling himself mother. He was rapidly burnt to a crisp.

Bayle was a fun fight and definitely one for the books. He was absolutely obliterating me at first and I completely ran out of flask charges with him at a seemingly insurmountable 40% health. I had no expectation of coming anywhere close to surviving, so I relaxed my nerves and calmly maneuvered around while he blanketed the arena with a relentless inferno. All I could do was run like a bitch and swoop in to smack him at every possible opening.

Well holy shit, now he's nearly dead and I'm somehow still alive. Both of us have the barest sliver of health left, so of course, this is where I will die. Cue the dramatic heart rate spike and hand shakes. Dodge, jump, swing, crunchy swoosh noise...hot fucking damn, that was him, not me!

Now to go cry at Radahn.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There are still builds that trivialize the bosses. Yes even at lv.150. If you can't git gud then cheese it

I’ve beaten every boss except Radahn, most on first attempt. That wasn’t my point.

The DLC for me, for the most part, isn’t remotely as enjoyable as the base game and has almost zero replay value.