Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Well, I just finished Consecrated Snowfields (fucking HORRIBLE area, btw. I hate when devs think that making your screen completely unviewable = difficulty). Then I went and blasted Mohg on the 2nd attempt (73 arcane and rot/ice/fire/ice breath rotations are kinda dumb). So, I guess I'm "ready" for the DLC now? I'm thinking of killing Malenia first? Or should I just do everything up to Malekith, then detour to DLC?

I'm just kind of curious what the best method is going to be here in terms of "flow".

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Well, I just finished Consecrated Snowfields (fucking HORRIBLE area, btw. I hate when devs think that making your screen completely unviewable = difficulty). Then I went and blasted Mohg on the 2nd attempt (73 arcane and rot/ice/fire/ice breath rotations are kinda dumb). So, I guess I'm "ready" for the DLC now? I'm thinking of killing Malenia first? Or should I just do everything up to Malekith, then detour to DLC?

I'm just kind of curious what the best method is going to be here in terms of "flow".

With the way Power Scaling works in the Shadowlands, It doesn't matter at what point you go in, you just need Mohg and Horsey Boy dead.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Abyssal woods is the worst thing Fromsoft has ever designed, fite me

50 times larger than it needs to be, almost entirely empty space, nonsense quicktime event enemies. Just actually awful
Awfully big area for a game of hide and seek. The dungeon at the end is pretty great though.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
With the way Power Scaling works in the Shadowlands, It doesn't matter at what point you go in, you just need Mohg and Horsey Boy dead.
I still don't get why people say this. Power scaling is just a multiplier of your base stats. Even if you run around getting blessing to 12 before doing anything serious, 1.85 * jackshit is just slightly less jackshit, and you're going to basically be doing chip damage vs. shit that is extremely aggressive.

Unless your build is designed around something in the DLC, you should stay in the base game until you have all the most important items for whatever it is you're doing. I'd want at least a dozen flask charges (with close to maxed effect) too, and I definitely wouldn't go in there without 4 talisman slots either.

Chris

Potato del Grande

Haligtree is harder than the DLC dungeons imo. Malenia herself is about the same as a lot of the DLC bosses, her issue is that her moveset isn't as predictable and she leeches life.

I would do the first DLC area (upto and including Belurat), then do Farum Azula, then do the second DLC area (upto and including Shadow Keep), then do Haligtree, then finish the DLC.

Make sure Leyendell is finished before doing Farum Azula.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I literally voted the furthest right I could today.

You voted Reform?

Surprised, but not too surprised, you have noticeably trended rightward.

I'm guessing Reform ate the Conservatives lunch.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

50 times larger than it needs to be, almost entirely empty space, nonsense quicktime event enemies. Just actually awful

Totally agree, it's the only place in the DLC that I just plain noped out of.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Giant crusher + lions claw trivializes most boss fights. The invulnerability frames + mega stance dmg turns everything into a one button masher. I mean if you wanted to make it a little harder you could jump heavy attack instead of just ash spamming, then it's 2 buttons and no i-frames.

I just got the Giant-Crusher, upgraded it to +13, put the lion's claw ash on it, and added that frostbite effect on top of it.

its pretty damn solid. Ruins GS and Grafted Blade GS seem to be outclassed by it.

Chris

Potato del Grande
You voted Reform?

Surprised, but not too surprised, you have noticeably trended rightward.

I'm guessing Reform ate the Conservatives lunch.
I've always been a centrist and vote to balance whatever excesses of the left and right.

People think I'm a leftist for culturally being against gun ownership/private healthcare, that's just a UK thing. I actually had my mind changed here about gun ownership lol.

Now this is off topic, so let's drag it back.

I don't think that far left wing people are capable of playing Elden Ring. It's too hard for them.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ok the Euporia twinblade is super fucking sick with the charged up attack it has.

Holy fuck! And I mean that literally since it's holy damage. Jeebus!

• 1Like

Bald Brah

Golden Knight of the Realm
I just got the Giant-Crusher, upgraded it to +13, put the lion's claw ash on it, and added that frostbite effect on top of it.

its pretty damn solid. Ruins GS and Grafted Blade GS seem to be outclassed by it.

It depends. On enemies that you can stance break lions claw can make them ez-mode. On tougher enemies you might be better off with attacks where you don't have to be right up in their grill. Also, lions claw generally makes it so you have to trade dmg but it doesn't heal you. In some cases especially against invaders, blasphemous blade works better. You are trading hits but your hits actually heal you. I'd generally switch between fire knight's greatsword with lions claw w/flame art infusion, blasphemous blade, or barbed staff spear for it's spammable weapon art. This was running 50+str 50+fth and I leveled them both to over 60 eventually.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Someone obviously has never been to blight, town. Or the blizzard zone with the super raped electrical horses. Abysmal woods is a one note joke, but it's easy to scoot.Past the super mobs if you suck at parry. Its biggest flaw is that there is really nothing to do there and, unlike the finger churches , it is not viusually stunning.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Elajjaz finally did it

level 1 run. Took 500+ attempts. Got it down to a science in the end where he just says his moves aloud. Step forward, one, two, left, back....

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Elajjaz finally did it

level 1 run. Took 500+ attempts. Got it down to a science in the end where he just says his moves aloud. Step forward, one, two, left, back....

The last couple minutes of this are some of the best Elden Ring content I've ever seen, no joke. That was awesome.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Are the Blackgoal Knight's hitboxes just super fucky? His jump attack is landing 3 feet to my right and left, yet somehow still hits me? And his little straight line slash has "hit" me on multiple occasions, but I took no damage?

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
So isn't there a still the mod that you can run that allowance a group of people to play the game together, without having to do all the stupid finger BS? This is a handful of years ago but I don't remember what the hell it was called, but I'm pretty certain there was something out there that allowed you to basically play when you're offline but still connect to your buddies. Thinking about trying to do that with a couple of friends of mine. I just don't remember what the hell it was called, let alone how to do any sort of modding on the game.

• 1Like

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So isn't there a still the mod that you can run that allowance a group of people to play the game together, without having to do all the stupid finger BS? This is a handful of years ago but I don't remember what the hell it was called, but I'm pretty certain there was something out there that allowed you to basically play when you're offline but still connect to your buddies. Thinking about trying to do that with a couple of friends of mine. I just don't remember what the hell it was called, let alone how to do any sort of modding on the game.

• 1Solidarity

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Finished the last of it up today.

Miles worse than the base game. It's like they decided that the Elden Beast was the pinnacle of boss design and used that as their basis for every non-humanoid fight, and even some of the humanoid ones.

Gaius, 2nd phase Mesmer, gold hippo, etc. Just the actual trashcan of Souls boss fights where it's nothing but a huge clusterfuck of camera problems, unreadable massive arena-wide attacks, non-step combo spam, etc. It ultimately doesn't even end up being especially difficult because the power scaling from the scadutree fragments is so nuts that you can chunk bosses for 20% of their health in a single jump attack, but that doesn't really lead to it being fun either. Bayle was sick at least.

Wicker giants are boring useless slogs. Abyssal woods is 100x bigger than it should have been. Both the cerulean coast and the red flower area above/near it are vast empty spaces with nearly nothing of note in them. Finger ruins are all vast empty, pointless spaces etc. Compared to the base game where every corner of every map had something to do in it.

Environments still 10/10, some of the new items are sick, overall still better than anything in the regular AAA space, but this is a pretty worrying entry in the series imo as it's a clear downgrade in ingenuity from the base game, with a lot of knobs just cranked up to 11 to make it 'hard'.

• 4Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 4 users

Bald Brah

Golden Knight of the Realm
I gotta say I am in no way interested in slogging through the expansion in a NG+ to try different builds like I was the base game. It's not the remembrance bosses either. They were tough but got easier as you scadded up.

But I don't want to have to slog around the map reading spoilers to get those dumb fragments again. And I really don't feel like dealing with any more of those stupid furnace golems ever again. Dumbest enemy I've ever seen in any game. Take forever to kill and can always one shot you no matter what. Watching the youtube videos of them vs every boss shows how ridiculous they are.