Elite: Dangerous (Kickstarted Sandbox Space Flight Sim)

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
What's your setup for fighting Anacondas? I still get wrecked pretty hard by Pythons, though I imagine fighting in belts is easier than interdictions.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It is a resource extraction site inside of an asteroid belt
So you fly to a planet with an asteroid ring like Saturn until you see resource extractions spawn and then go there? Are there also players there if you play in Open Play?

ok I found one of these. Wow, security is insane there. Anacondas all over the place, and the system was just medium security. Anything that was wanted was destroyed within a minute.

I really fucking wish there was weapon quality progression like all other modules. I've tested so many weapons now, and it fucking sucks. Back to quad fixed pulse lasers again.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Generally, at my level, at those spots you can still snipe plenty of kills and get 13 - 20k per wanted guy, but I'm still struggling with security myself. Even in anarchy systems there is usually System Security or whatever and like Mist said earlier identifying who is 'wanted' and who is Wanted is a struggle. So you'll pop off at someone you think is fair game and security opens up a can of whoop ass on you.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Generally, at my level, at those spots you can still snipe plenty of kills and get 13 - 20k per wanted guy, but I'm still struggling with security myself. Even in anarchy systems there is usually System Security or whatever and like Mist said earlier identifying who is 'wanted' and who is Wanted is a struggle. So you'll pop off at someone you think is fair game and security opens up a can of whoop ass on you.
Are these actually called System security vessel? I'm hunting at Ngibla (sp?) and I haven't seen these for many hours. There's plenty of bounty hunters going after others with the KWS, but no actual security you can't shoot without eating a bounty. Everything is free to kill.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
I really fucking wish there was weapon quality progression like all other modules. I've tested so many weapons now, and it fucking sucks. Back to quad fixed pulse lasers again.
There used to be more classes of weapon:

Low Heat Laser: Less heat, uses less power. Maybe does less damage?
Overcharged Laser: More heat, uses more power, and does more damage.
Focused Laser: More heat, uses more power, but what does it do?
High Impact Multi-Cannon: Slower rate of fire but more DPS, smaller magazine.
Overcharged Multi-Cannon: Higher rate of fire and more DPS, smaller magazine.
Bullet Spray Multi-Cannon: Think of a cross between a sub-machine gun and a shotgun.

I believe some of these are still in the game, but if they are then they are very rare to come across.

I strongly suspect we'll be getting more powerful "military" grade weapons at some point, probably from permit-only worlds.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There used to be more classes of weapon:

Low Heat Laser: Less heat, uses less power. Maybe does less damage?
Overcharged Laser: More heat, uses more power, and does more damage.
Focused Laser: More heat, uses more power, but what does it do?
High Impact Multi-Cannon: Slower rate of fire but more DPS, smaller magazine.
Overcharged Multi-Cannon: Higher rate of fire and more DPS, smaller magazine.
Bullet Spray Multi-Cannon: Think of a cross between a sub-machine gun and a shotgun.

I believe some of these are still in the game, but if they are then they are very rare to come across.

I strongly suspect we'll be getting more powerful "military" grade weapons at some point, probably from permit-only worlds.
I just wish I wouldn't be forced to shoot weak E and F pulse lasers worth less than 100k in total. Give me a B-grade Size 2 pulse laser for 500k and I'll buy that.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Thinking about getting this as I do love me some space sims. Couple questions:

Are the controls good with keyboard/mouse?
Will an older PC play this decently? OC'd i7-2600k, 8gigs ram, GTX 580, Win7 64

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
Thinking about getting this as I do love me some space sims. Couple questions:

Are the controls good with keyboard/mouse?
Will an older PC play this decently? OC'd i7-2600k, 8gigs ram, GTX 580, Win7 64
Pretty much the same machine, I'm using a 760 though. No problems at all.

KB/M with Draegans changes to roll/yaw work perfectly for it once you get use to it (and it doesn't take long). Combat feels pretty tight to me on a KB/M.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm using an xbox controller + a few keys on the keyboard for non-combat related things.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
For those in a Viper or Cobra, what are your favorite weapon loadouts so far?

Gromit

Golden Knight of the Realm
Used quad cannons on the viper for awhile then switched over to gimbled multicannons. Still using the multicannons on my cobra now too. I haven't experimented all that much though.

Also ramming a clipper at low speed really does a lot of damage to a cobra!

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The fact that you can't switch ships or haul ships makes having more than 1 incredibly stupid :/

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
Upgraded my Adder (87k) to a Cobra (370k) from my mining ventures, haven't been mining in the Cobra yet, just blowing up some dudes at Nav Beacons.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah you can switch ships under the stored ships tab, not sure what the nazi is talking about.

BTW these 500k beam lasers suck. Not sure why I can't find decent Burst Lasers for sale.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You can't switch ships unless you're at the same station. I assume you don't have two, lest you know how tedious and silly it is right now. Well, I sold both, now in an Asp. Seems to be better than the T6 for hauling and better than the Cobra for fighting. Sorry I didn't make it clear enough for the obese racist.

Upgraded my Adder (87k) to a Cobra (370k) from my mining ventures, haven't been mining in the Cobra yet, just blowing up some dudes at Nav Beacons.
Yes, it's funny how quickly you abandon the big money game once you have a ship that just shreds stuff.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
The best that can be done right now is to park one ship, buy a Sidewinder and fly it to the second ship, then sell the Sidewinder.

Back in the days of design documents Frontier talked about passenger missions, which is where the Clipper and the Orca would come in. You'd also be able to book passage on an NPC ship to take you to your stored ship, although I bet you'd have to sit and watch out the window as the NPC made it's way across the galaxy, so the Sidewinder option might not be a bad choice even then. There was also talk of having a cargo ship transport your ship to you - interesting to see if they'd put a capital-class sized transport in the game for moving Anacondas and the like.