Elysium

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
oh, weird. sorry. meant to quote Phazael.

his post was full on nuts. I agree with you, on most of your points.

Most of the entire ending was weak. Kreugar being brought back was lame and dumb. If Elysian had an army of medical units, just ready to go at all times. why exactly where they held back? We didn't they engage to go resurrect the CEO. Why didn't they go to heal, and resurrect the Secretary of Def the moment she was injured, as the SYSTEM clearly identified her being injured. Where did all the droids and guards go, when she put the place on lockdown? How was kreugar able to walk around the station, considering he was not actually reinstated, she had him working on the side?
The entire final act was stupid. Station goes from impenetrable, to ZERO defenses instantly and inexplicably.

Shoulder launched orbital missiles are a technology that would change everything in terms of military power. warlords like Spider would get their hands on that kind of thing. And Elysium would not be able to exist in a world where shoulder launched missiles can take out ships in oribit, satellites, stations.. that scene should not have been in the movie either.
Much like the rail gun noted earlier.

Robots.
Why are police on Earth robots? Why are robots NOT building other robots? If they are cheap enough to be used as police. then they are certainly cheap enough to be used on an assembly line, so people don't accidentally get nuked.

Kid didn't add anything to the movie as noted. Neither did the girl. The entire dialogue begging to take the girl was stupid. "I'm dying. So I took a job, in order to get a ticket to Elysium. But it went bad, I got stabbed, everyone else died, and I'm being followed by bad guys." "TAKE MY DAUGHTER SHE HAS LEUKEMIA!" "lady, did you not hear the part about getting stabbed, everyone dieing? the job failed, I dont have a god damn ticket." "TAKE HER WITH YOU!, HERE IS A STUPID STORY ABOUT A HIPPO!" "ffs.."
I am curious what you felt was so nuts about my post. But I will bite the troll bait and address a couple specific points:
The impression I got (and inferred from real world aerospace navigation) was that the shuttles were using guidance that was provided by Elysium to achieve the correct trajectory to get to the station and that the ground based missiles were tapped into the same guidance information. Really not much of a stretch, since surface to orbit travel has been ridiculously math intensive (ie no one will ever just hop in the cockpit and fly by the seat of their pants to even a low orbit installation as space is simply too fucking vast) to do without some external navigational assistance. This is likely how they also turned LA into a no fly zone, as killing the navigational communication would make surface to orbit transportation ludicrously dangerous. It is readily obvious in the movie that they are tracking every projectile and craft that left the surface from their command center. But I agree that a little exposition on that fact would have helped joe blow movie goer to understand things a little better.

With the robots, the cynical answer is that desperate poor people running assembly lines are a lot cheaper to maintain than robots, especially when you have the entire human population beaten down to the point where they are willingly sucking your collective dicks just to have any kind of employment. If cheap labor was not a better alternative to automation in the modern world, it would be an army of Benders in domestic factories cranking shit out right now, instead of all the offshoring to third world shitholes that goes on. Same deal here, since life is cheap.

The love interest and her daughter were done very ham fisted and its fairly clear from D9 that it is not this director's strong point, but there needed to be a mechanism for why the main character would stop being a selfish dick and eventually make that sacrifice. Not sure what to say on that point, beyond that.

But hey, I get it, its not D9 and does not fulfill your expectations. Treating it like the falloff from Empire to Jedi is a bit ridiculous, though.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I enjoyed the movie enough. Oblivion was better, but this movie was more enjoyable than Superman. I feel this movie would have been much better if they had just taken the time to develop the characters in an HBO version that lasted like 5 seasons. I enjoyed the characters enough to have wanted to see their past. The world was gritty enough but not explained enough. Had there been a 3rd world war? Was the population we saw the only population left on Earth? They were mass building robots but there was very little indication of a lot of robots existing. Leaving the healthcare message out would have made the movie more enjoyable. The acting, effects and stage were awesome. It just needed more development with less political message.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I have seen Oblivion and Moon. If I had to rank them, I would put Moon easily the best of the three, Elysium second, and Oblivion a close third. I enjoyed all three, immensely. My preference probably has more to do with my man crush on Sam Rockwell and a general preference for high concept gritty science fiction.

spronk

FPS noob
I haven't watched Oblivion yet but for the people that liked it did any of you see Moon?
moon is better but oblivion is still decent, just more commercial/dumbed down/CGI-filled. You should go out and watch Europa Report though, its very Moon-ish, about a manned expedition to Europa. Then watch Oblivion. And be happy there were so many scifi movies this year.

whatever you do don't watch After Earth

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I started Europa Report last night and fell asleep. I finished it this morning. I didn't like it but I still think it's good. My whole viewing experience was poisoned by having seen both Mission to Mars and Red Planet (fell asleep) in the theater years ago. Europa Report is zillions times better than either of those pieces of shit and it is unfair to that film that I still had a bad taste in my mouth from them. Europa Report does almost everything perfect.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I didn't yet dislike Tim Robbins as a person.

The one guy spinning so fast in a Mars tornado that his limbs flew off was hilarity though.

kudos

<Banned>
This movie was just Hollywood trying to make a movie about the bullshit Mexican border.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
I started Europa Report last night and fell asleep. I finished it this morning. I didn't like it but I still think it's good. My whole viewing experience was poisoned by having seen both Mission to Mars and Red Planet (fell asleep) in the theater years ago. Europa Report is zillions times better than either of those pieces of shit and it is unfair to that film that I still had a bad taste in my mouth from them. Europa Report does almost everything perfect.
Which of these shitty movies had Gary Sinise? I remember him leaving with the aliens. The movie was so bad.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I saw both of those shit-fests in the theater. Makes you wish there was a way to reboot your brain.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I shall pray you receive early onset Alzheimer's and don't have a medbed to fix it then.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
On one hand, what Ko Dokomo said is correct.

On the other hand, it shows that when the elite move off the planet, the planet goes to shit. You could say that the elite siphon the wealth from society and purposefully keep it down, but none-the-less everyone turns into an animal without the proletariat there.
Proletariat refers to the working class not the rich #fail