EQ Never

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Thank god they're working on doors first. As everyone knows from years of patchnotes, Doors are the most critical part of any EverQuest game.
Doors, as we all know, is a very important process. As we have seen in previous postings, do you collide with them? Look at them in awe? can you open and close them? What happens if you close one while a spell is being cast? Does the door block it? Only part of the spell goes through? In this case, destructible doors? Repair the door? Alternate art styles for repaired doors over non-repaired doors? The concept art alone in that would need 500 meetings to get right. You can also confuse a player. Why can't I open that one but I can open the other one? And why when I try to open the third one, it says it's locked, and the 4th one is always open while the 5th one doesn't let me open it and doesn't give me the locked message when I try to open it? Is it a magical lock? Does it open as a quest reward? Should quest reward doors look different from normal doors?

This is some serious shit.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
lol. Although really, the reason why they focused on doors at the beginning is because, if they want players to make shit they can actually use in the game, doors are a surprisingly high priority. It's damn near impossible to make workable doorway if you don't have the door to build it around, at least if the door isn't going to be a simple rectangle; so every time there's a new Workshop, doors tend to be one of the first assets they make.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
EQ1 is just a series of servers and a couple of dudes producing content at this point. Maybe even a woman! If it "bled" money, it wouldn't be a thing unless a Daybreak exec was personally funding it. Which I doubt. It is a super low-cost investment that probably produces a reasonable return, via Station Pass etc. Not printing money, but a consistent baseline of cash. If it at any point wasn't profitable, it would have been scrapped years ago.

Fedor

<Banned>
SOE Live was a year ago

tumblr_l2oibwiSB01qz9rjn.gif

tumblr_l2oic3J0vk1qz9rjn.gif

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Don't worry there are like two or three Landmark fans providing art and building structures. Everything is going fine.
The Landmark community is quite literally 200-300 people at this point, with maybe 10% of those people producing usable builds. Maybe 10% of that looks remotely 'pro' quality.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I'm gonna produce a game based on community involvement, launch with laughable social tools, and do next to zero marketing...

What could go wrong?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
The Landmark community is quite literally 200-300 people at this point, with maybe 10% of those people producing usable builds. Maybe 10% of that looks remotely 'pro' quality.
so there's 2 or 3 guys making good content for Landmark right now.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
I'm gonna produce a game based on community involvement, launch with laughable social tools, and do next to zero marketing...

What could go wrong?
Make sure you promise rapid patches, with tons of new content coming really soon, sell people expensive packages based on this and then just let the game languish for years.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
The total lack of any press after their 2013 reveal couldn't have helped the situation either. If their game was that far from from release then why did they even bother trying to show it off anyway? I doubt that many people even know what Landmark is.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just pisses me off all they had to do was remake EQ with modern features, probably what they scrapped, not remake the whole genre.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Their company was on the chopping block financially. They didn't need to release a B-list MMORPG that 300,000 neckbeards would be stoked on. They needed to release something revolutionary.

It didn't go so well.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I disagree. They tried too hard to chase the gravy train and failed because of it. H1z1 and EQN are examples of them trying to capitalize on a trend. They have no identity as a company and would have been better off taking less risk and delivering a true sequel to their most successful IP. They had the tools and resources in place.. It would have been a pretty fast turn around for them. 3-5 years tops? The company needed momentum and steady cash flow. EQN taking as long as it has could have been worked on with a much smaller team until they hammered out the tech(sounds like they still haven't sorted it all out yet). Keep in mind we are going back to like 09 when they started planning eq3. It would be out by now. Considering what's currently in the market, I think a lot of players would have picked it up and tried it. I'm ok with them trying to be innovative but eq3 was a safe source of income for them and it was ignored. It wasn't necessary to make it a big budget mmo. They had the engine, devs and IP. They just needed to put it together.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
So is this dead then? I never played EQ2 but I loved EQ1 back in the day and was hoping this would capture some of that magic again. Is there any hope for Richard Garriot's MMO?

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's not dead.. But how long do you think this company is going to sit back and allow them to burn money while trying to iron out all the kinks? We won't see what was promised so maybe we actually will get eq3?!

Pantheon on!

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Yeah, it seems step by step they have screwed up creating any type of "Buzz".

Landmark naming debacle and confusion as to what it was initially. (As opposed to EQN)
No real website or updates creating excitement.
Public layoffs and firings.

Just some examples.

I had no issues with the chances they were taking, they just seem to take the wrong approach to develop it.
(Whereas Star Citizen or Crowfall seem to create some sort of excitement.)

Emotiv

Silver Squire
I'll never understand how Landmark got the green light to be made before EQN launched. I get that they're "making things for both games", but how about building a fanbase first?

Have you ever seen a lawn landscaped before the house was built? That's because there's nobody fucking living there yet.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'll never understand how Landmark got the green light to be made before EQN launched. I get that they're "making things for both games", but how about building a fanbase first?

Have you ever seen a lawn landscaped before the house was built? That's because there's nobody fucking living there yet.
Landmark was their way of getting their fans to build the game for them. You know they are just copy and pasting peoples builds from Landmark and putting them into EQN.