EQ Never

Tolan

Member of the Year 2016
<Banned>
I wonder how much the fact that bag space was extremely limited, lots of items being unstackable, and coin having a weight had to do with no automated farmers in EQ? Take farming something like giants, for instance. Yeah, you could probably automate that pretty well, but after a while you're going to be crawling because you've got plat that weighs so damn much that you can't farm anymore.
Script a trade with a mule toon after each kill.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, ebay was happening, and for big cash, at least during Kunark. It was happening in vanilla too.

I remember knowing this one farmer I met in vox's dungeon. He used to occasionally give me stuff (little stuff) when we'd meet at druid rings just because I wasn't a complete cock to him like the rest of the server was. At the time I just thought it was fucking bizzare that he was farming mammoth cloaks. But he made a few grand a month doing that shit back in vanilla / early kunark.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
We used to kill trolls in Grobb. They had those plain weapons that sold for more than fine steel. I had a big fatass troll on my second account that we would load up with the things and eventually go sell.

One day, after a long session, his weight was in the thousands, but he could still creep along with spirit of the wolf. He stepped off a tiny ledge, maybe 6 inches high and fell to his death.

Nirgon

Log Wizard
They stuck pretty close to the original Planetside 1, if they do it with EQ Next... hm. Still predict WoW clone lol.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Well the original Planetside hasnt been iterated on a hundred times since its release, there were few if any MMOFPS games in the last decade. MMORPG evolution has been explosive by comparison (for good or bad is another matter).

We used to kill trolls in Grobb. They had those plain weapons that sold for more than fine steel. I had a big fatass troll on my second account that we would load up with the things and eventually go sell.

One day, after a long session, his weight was in the thousands, but he could still creep along with spirit of the wolf. He stepped off a tiny ledge, maybe 6 inches high and fell to his death.
Rookie. U killed ur alt and dragged corpse to vendor. Zzz

Agraza

Registered Hutt
That was the biggest shock to me when I went back to EQ recently, no leaving corpses around forever with stuff on them. That shit was fucking useful.

I kept trying to pull old tactics out that relied on that, and...no.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I experienced those things, but it doesn't seem to have rubbed me in the same way as it did you. I would take that experience over the on rails, community emaciated single player "MMORPGs" we have now.
So you either still have time to play 10+ hours a day for weeks or months or you like to be bent over a barrel and fucked in the ass "just cause".

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Every minute I spent waiting for a camp to open, or waiting for some band of idiots to hurry up and die to the dragon so I could kill it, or some shithead trained my group and wasted my time, or any other number of the "joys" of non-instancing is a minute of my life I wish I had back and I will never waste again.
This is true. I think a lot of people see instancing and hate it because so many other systems had to be altered due to instancing--the reality is, instancing itself, I think, is a great mechanic. I think a lot of the systems that were built around instancing (And Chinese farming), like BoP, represented the quickest and laziest way to deal with tough problems. I wish a game would take instancing and build different systems around it, to see in what other direction it could go.

Instancing is a great mechanic, any game that doesn't use it is foolish. I just wish games explored different directions than the WoW treadmill--not every source of progression needed to be blended up and dumped into items, it made their game bland and very linear. And had ripple effects with how instances were done (Like badges ect.) Hopefully in the future some game tries to replicate the subtle effects having very rare loot, like early EQ, had on a game, while keeping instancing--of course, as said, every system would need to be built around these facets (Like you'd need a soft cap system, so players could progress when they did dungeons, even when they get no loot.)

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you die you re-spawn with all your stuff now. The only reason for a rez is to get exp back.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
you can start a company before making any headway. players selling their rare items and characters on ebay was common. little asian boys in sweatshops camping rare items was not.
I used to camp rare items all the time to sell for hundreds of dollars, Vanilla and RoK were the best times for it but it didn't run dry for me until GoD around the time WoW was passing out alpha/beta invites to all the best guilds on the EQ servers. I made a fortune selling mana stones, though the single best thing I sold was a ranger with full thorny vine that I traded a rubicite breastplate for, got $3500 that was when they announced rubicite as we knew it would no longer drop. Hell I even had a guy that would pay me monthly to camp shit with me and come to alt raids on old content with me as a guest. A person in a high end guild with high play time could make a very good amount of money if they tried.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
What are the chances of this game having EQ style pulls, splitting & mezzing as opposed to predetermined mob groups? None?
If you are able to trivialize an encounter (which is the entire point of splitting/pulling/mezzing) down to single mobs, it is most likely not a design intention by developers. Whether or not it is able to be done is anyone's guess, but I would hazard to say that the odds are astronomically low in that department. Which, as a SK puller/tank type guy for years, makes me sad.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Make the default dungeon public, with new instanced versions spawning when it gets too crowded. Let people who want to solo the dungeon spawn their own instance. A huge dungeon with lots of camps and spawns, public version for people who want to PUG it up, private version for people who want to farm shit for their low level alts or not deal with anyone. Best of both worlds
Yes!

Denaut

Trump's Staff
What are the chances of this game having EQ style pulls, splitting & mezzing as opposed to predetermined mob groups? None?
This is actually poor design. If the solution to every puzzle in the game is the same sequence of the same tools every time, then it isn't much of a game.

TheYanger

Bronze Knight of the Realm
This is actually poor design. If the solution to every puzzle in the game is the same sequence of the same tools every time, then it isn't much of a game.
What a silly notion. The early EQ dungeons were designed so that you could crawl them, and you could if they weren't overcrowded at the time. Pulling just emerged as a form of CC (well, splitting rather). Saying that CC and splitting is 'the same' every single time is as bad as saying that all you do in wow is hit the same 5 button rotation over and over. You're oversimplifying things. It was a role that people enjoyed, that required you to pay attention and play well in a game that fought you every step of the way in terms of allowing you to do that easily (this applies to both CC and pulling), and although it was a 'thing' you do to most groups, it was less similar on a pull by pull basis than dpsing or healing were for the most part.

That's the same as generalizing Mario games into 'well, you run and jump. That's not enough to give you variety!' when it's patently false.

I'm not saying I think EQ Next should be designed with FD splitting type behavior 'in mind' (let's face it, it was a quirk in the coding that we exploited the shit out of), like programmed in as an intentional system, but the game DAMN SURE better not feature linked mobs and the complete absence of space for players to outsmart it. Although I never would've considered it one at the time in the wake of UO, EQ was sandbox as fuck and this is what we made of it, denying that would be ridiculous especially since 'sandbox' is one of the few words we HAVE heard for EQ Next. You don't need to give me infinite activities to do (Killing mobs, doing quests, crafting shit. That's pretty solid to me tbh), you need to give the player the freedom to do those few activities however they damn well please if you want to call it a sandbox.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
The only part of that pulling strategy that is gone is the splitting. I know we CCd a ton in early cata even doing heroics which was when I last played.

FD pulling mostly only slowed down raids, 95% of the raid never saw any of that action and if it failed you just had an even longer wait. It was use to compensate for that fact that SOE didn't plan the layout of a dungeon like blizz does.

Also you definitely could split pulls in WoW if you really wanted to, you just didn't usually have to unless the content was way out of your league. I thnk blizz asked the question of whether it was fun for the group to sit around and wait while a monk or SK split a pull, often every pull, and the answer was no it was boring to wait that long, so they made a game where splitting like that was very very rarely required.