EQ Never

Terial

Trakanon Raider
old, but i guess relevant now lol
Welcome to Freeport in EQN after Landmark (i'm sure the edges will be smoother)

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
old, but i guess relevant now lol
Welcome to Freeport in EQN after Landmark (i'm sure the edges will be smoother)
I bet this is how we got in this debacle. They were making EQ3 and someone on the dev team saw this. "Everybody. EVERYBODY! Stop, come here. LOOK! Ok, everything you got now? Recycle bin dat ish. We're doing this!"

&

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to bayr again.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
So with Landmark coming out way before Everquest Next, should that mean that by the time the game launches that the engine should be running smoothly?

If Landmark is mmo'ish with guilds, lots of people on 1 server etc its basically just a giant beta of sorts right? That should bode well for a smooth launch of the actual MMO I would hope.

Carl_sl

shitlord
So with Landmark coming out way before Everquest Next, should that mean that by the time the game launches that the engine should be running smoothly?

If Landmark is mmo'ish with guilds, lots of people on 1 server etc its basically just a giant beta of sorts right? That should bode well for a smooth launch of the actual MMO I would hope.
That and all the work theyve already put in to the engine form planetside 2 should make it run properly.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
I would assume that fits into there plans to have this on PS4 since console players im sure are less likely to forgive a shitty crashey/laggy game launch.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Landmark is the oldest trick in the book... when I moved into education, I see it in seminars all the time. Granted Minecraft and creation is fun in general but if you really want someone to "buy into" something you generate a sense of ownership. I heard it this morning in a meeting that one strategy in the classroom to increase student success to help them design the class, topic discussed, and even assessments. You mask the fact that you are actually still in control as you are guiding the choices and even decision but providing that sense of ownership and entitlement increases of involvement. It's nothing new, people been using this tactic for years but, this is their way to getting you to play and to show the game to your friends because there is something in the game you made. The more the user impacts the world the more of a fingerprint you leave on the game thus (supposedly) drawing you and people you want to see it into the game.

Eh, whatever, we'll see how classes, the UI, and general gameplay levels out before I get into too much judgement.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
So tad, to confirm..

I select a Warrior base class, and for sake of arguement a warrior's base skill bar selection is as follows..

1. [OFFENSIVE] 2. [DEFENSIVE] 3. [DEFENSIVE] 4. [MOVEMENT]

Despite me unlocking "Assassin", "Blademaster", "Wizard", and "Monk", allowing me to slot their respective abilities, I will always be relegated to my initial class hotbar selection of the warrior i.e.

1 Offensive, 2 Defensives, and 1 Movement ability. Correct?

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
May be a dumb question but does unlocking classes impact the character or account you think? I'm assuming you still have restrictions based on your base class? i.e unlocking a Wizard does nothing if you are a base class of Warrior.

Whenever we straighten this out we get onto 3 other soapboxes and I forget what gets clarified every time...

Mugaaz_sl

shitlord
So tad, to confirm..

I select a Warrior base class, and for sake of arguement a warrior's base skill bar selection is as follows..

1. [OFFENSIVE] 2. [DEFENSIVE] 3. [DEFENSIVE] 4. [MOVEMENT]

Despite me unlocking "Assassin", "Blademaster", "Wizard", and "Monk", allowing me to slot their respective abilities, I will always be relegated to my initial class hotbar selection of the warrior i.e.

1 Offensive, 2 Defensives, and 1 Movement ability. Correct?
Yes, but if you switch your class you'll use their default hotbar and can slot in warrior abilities there. The weapon skill and char ability slots are defined by the class and unchanging. What you put in those slots can be any matching skill.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
EQ3
-The two scrapped versions of the game were not WoWlike as has been reported. At least one was the hardcore EQ3 some of us were looking for (this is not speculation, confirmed at the Dev Brunch). Sorry etchazz.

-EQN Devs are aware of the "concern" over the class/combat mechanics (again confirmed at Dev Brunch but probably didn't need to be). When making EQ3 as an additional game was suggested to some of the EQN Dev team, there was a lot of pushback and it was stated that making EQ3 was a lot more difficult than has been suggesting on this forum (I wasn't at this brunch but I can guess that when I wrote earlier that it would be 80% done with just the EQN stuff, I must have been way off).

However, after the end of the EQ3 discussion at the Dev Brunch, and this again is not speculation, the EQN Devs participating in the discussion "didn't rule it out for the future." (Quote is from friend paraphrasing the end of the conversation, not an exact quote of the devs). I have no idea what "not ruling it out for the future" means as I'm just relaying info from a few of my friends who were at the Brunch. So take that with as big a grain of salt as you want. Maybe the Devs just said it to get the people asking the question to shut the hell up. ;-)

There were a couple more tidbits from the Brunch, but I'll need a little clarification before posting. I'm not going to make the same mistake again.
Tbh I think "not ruling it out in the future" means "no plans at all, I'll eat my hat if that becomes a thing". They were in a pleasant social conversation with players that obviously treasure the EQ experience, so they vaguely denied it without going full Itzena.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Tbh I think "not ruling it out in the future" means "no plans at all, I'll eat my hat if that becomes a thing". They were in a pleasant social conversation with players that obviously treasure the EQ experience, so they vaguely denied it without going full Itzena.
The only way we will see EQ3 is if another company makes a game like it and SoE takes a huge pop hit on EQ, VG and EQ2. They are just so careful to not make games that compete with thier styles.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Why would they sell classes -> the driving replay factor of the game <- when they could sell houses, potions and etc and make a lot more money.
I assumed their 'replay factor' was the advanced ai and ever changing dynamic world?

There's certainly nothing revolutionary ('next') about class acquisition grinds.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
That's what I thought but I don't know. The final comment on grouping at the class panel was you want to group with people with skills who know how to play their character. And if you look at the AI examples, you've got tanky guys in front blocking the mob from getting the wiz behind them.

It's not the trinity as we know it - but it's much more than the everybody dps they were saying at the Panel.

To be perfectly honest, the only SOE person who seemed to really understand StoryBricks AI was Moorguard. So I wouldn't be surprised if Talisker and Co. are a little off base. I do not see how you can play the game as its designed without someone acting primarily as a support class and another persons taking on the mobs.
Well I hope you're right, you were there to talk to people after all. If my 4 weapon-based skills can be a mix of damage spells and crowd control that's actually useful then I'm happy. Same for the healer types I guess. I doubt they will make any class pure heals, but if you slot defensive/utility and your chosen weapon gives you 2 heals, a stun/nuke and a knockback you could pretty much play heal/support.

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I know this isn't for EQN but found it interesting enough. I wanted to learn more about Voxels and stumbled upon this.