EQ Never

tad10

Elisha Dushku
The DnD comment is because he said something roughly like ~We have all been playing DnD for the past 15 years, enough is enough~
He didn't say exactly that - he was referring to the EQ trinity. Need to find the tape, I think it was the classes panel. If I get bored I'll look through it today. I think it came about because he had the ADD book up on the screen but was actually talking about EQ.

All that said, and DnD aside, the attacks on EQ were way, way over the top. -_-

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
The DnD comment is because he said something roughly like ~We have all been playing DnD for the past 15 years, enough is enough~
Hm.

The first grail I want to talk about is changing the core game. For 35 years we have been playing a lot of Dungeons and Dragons, and I mean a lot of it. And when I say Dungeons and Dragons, I mean you pick a class, you go out and kill stuff and unlock a tech tree of abilities and we've all done that a lot of different times. We didn't want to just reboot the lore and reboot the way the world looked and maybe add some different adventures, we wanted to give you a whole new gaming experience that you could discover and enjoy while you are playing the game.
Doesn't sound quite like the "Fuck DND" as Flex makes it sound.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I am pretty sure they showed this map during the reveal eh?
They did but one of the devs said it was a work in progress or something. I'm sure it's close to what we'll get but, knowing SOE they're leaving themselves wiggle room to drop an area if they can't finish the whole thing in time for release.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
I am pretty sure they showed this map during the reveal eh?
They showed it either in the reveal, or at one of the panels, but I vaguely recall the way they were talking about it implying that it was something like a sample map for Landmark, not Antonica for EQN.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
I didn't play much pen and paper DnD personally, but I really likedthis postfrom someone on Reddit who did:

I guess it comes from a background of playing pen and paper D&D, but I always hated the trinity. It's a super dumbed down version of how D&D combat actually works and the roles you have there in.
For instance, in real D&D, clerics are badasses. They don't sit around on the back line waiting to heal people. They're right up with the fighter, smashing heads in. Clerics in D&D are in the thick of things, not cowering in the back waiting to pop heals. At high levels, they are as powerful or even perhaps more (in certain ways) than high level wizards.

Speaking of wizards, they aren't just "dps" in real D&D either. They were your ace in the hole (or for Malazan fans, shaved knuckle in the hole). You're all fucked? Wizardbro has your back with stuff you didn't even know existed.
For that matter, thieves/rogues are not just "dps" either in real D&D. Finding secret passages, unlocking doors and disabling traps were essential things, and formed the real identity of that role in D&D. And instead we get none of that, just "dps".

Lastly, no dungeon master worth a shit would ever made real D&D combat play out how it the "trinity" does in MMOs. Players would be dumping their pizza and drinks on him/her in minutes.

No, combat wasn't "everyone automatically attacks the tank and no one else" in D&D, because that is boring tripe.
Yes, your fighter was on the front lines, usually going toe to toe with a troll or a golem or something, and wizards stayed out of melee, but that wasn't the extent of combat, nor was your cleric just sitting there healing and doing literally nothing else the entire fight.

No, fights were much more involved than the simplistic "trinity" with threat-based AI.
Fighters usually "tanked" the big enemies that could crush your wizard, yes, but you also had enemy wizards, rogues etc. which people had to deal with, and it wasn't a matter of the fighter just fighting everything himself aside from ranged.
I am soooo glad to see this system finally die, it wasn't ever fun or good in any way IMO, just a half assed implementation of half of the real D&D roles.

Bellringer_sl

shitlord
He didn't say exactly that - he was referring to the EQ trinity. Need to find the tape, I think it was the classes panel. If I get bored I'll look through it today. I think it came about because he had the ADD book up on the screen but was actually talking about EQ.

All that said, and DnD aside, the attacks on EQ were way, way over the top. -_-
I love how I specify that it was a rough quote, but you still feel the need to tell me that he did not say exactly that. I still love you though. <3

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I love how I specify that it was a rough quote, but you still feel the need to tell me that he did not say exactly that. I still love you though. <3
Sorry buddy, just up, not enough coffee. Mea culpa.

I will say, you gave my first laugh of the day when you dissed Curse/EQNextfans.

You'll get the first Yak I find in EQN Beta. Not in live though, sorry.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Doesn't sound quite like the "Fuck DND" as Flex makes it sound.
I also incorporated some George Carlin's rules of the road into that quote, and he didn't necessarily say that, either. I hope.

"It's the new millennium. Tank? Healer? Its all the same now. There are no more roles. We're moving past that."

Vasconcellos_sl

shitlord
Any Euro's having issues signing up for the beta?
1) I click Sign Up, it asks me for my region. When I choose US, it returns me to the home page. Rinse & repeat
When I click EU, I get forwarded to the UK page where there is no option to sign up for BETA, unless you create a new account (???) I tried, but obviously my email is in use.

So what's the real trick to sign up?

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
tl;dr version of that D&D stuff: In D&D, everyone was a tank and the GM decided if you got dog piled on or not. If the GM was a dick your rogues would die instantly, your archers will be forced to melee, your clerics will never cast a spell and your mages will spend the whole fight recasting defensive barriers.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Any Euro's having issues signing up for the beta?
1) I click Sign Up, it asks me for my region. When I choose US, it returns me to the home page. Rinse & repeat
When I click EU, I get forwarded to the UK page where there is no option to sign up for BETA, unless you create a new account (???) I tried, but obviously my email is in use.

So what's the real trick to sign up?
I went through the hassle of getting back my old account from 1999 that I played EQ on, just in case old time players got preference in the beta. However, I was unable to use it, because I think every old account made in the EQ days were transferred as NA accounts. The SOE site checks your IP, for instance, I can not even access the site while on my VPN. So if you are on SOE.com, click on the beta, you will have to pick the EU one to even go forwards. It is a separate company, so you have to create a new account. Your old one will not work there.

Hopefully by release they will have sorted this out. I want my EQ:N account to be on the account I have all my other SOE games on.

Jais

Trakanon Raider
Good to hear they seem to be backpedaling somewhat from the "no trinity" jazz or at least clarifying their intent.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
They embraced DnD or ADnD, rather Bulter did. He even jokes about having character sheets older than some of the devs on the project! With that above comment with playing it and how it works Teekey posted from Reddit, it works and gives everyone something to do. No player is going to just follow around another player just to pop heals or MM. The closer they get to PnP DnD I like it, which is something I think could be happening in some way. I think EQ1 was their first go in trying that and looking like they are revisiting the idea again and changing how to do it again.

Ref to DnD from Bulter: Jump to 5:25

Old Fav:

Interesting Series:

Good Comic DnD series:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0001.html
rrr_img_39930.gif