EQ Never

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Rogosh, since you negged me for saying a key like the VT key should never be in a game again, please explain how it wasn't a complete shit as far as key design goes
It wasn't the worst thing ever. Had a lot of good times farming those key parts with people. It had too many of them for sure, but a decent time investment for access to a piece of uninstanced loot farm property doesn't seem like the world's worst idea in the context of Everquest circa 2002.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
Rogosh, since you negged me for saying a key like the VT key should never be in a game again, please explain how it wasn't a complete shit as far as key design goes
The vt key was a pain in the ass but it was only shit when you were cockblocked at emp, in a modern game there wont be any cockblocking of other guilds. And yeah i shouldnt have negged ya, sorry about that. Ill see if I can remove it.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
On the subject of race/class restrictions, here's a system that seems reasonable to me:

1. Starting class selection is restricted by class.

2. At SOE Live, they mentioned the possibility of having classes analogous to the Dwarven Defender from DnD, if they do that, then obviously such classes should be locked to the relevant races.

3. Other than that, any race can go out and acquire any class. However, if the class is sufficiently against type for that race (elf shadowknight, troll wizard) then that race will have a bunch of additional obstacles thrown in their path: it'll take longer, and more effort, to actually acquire the class; similarly, it'll be harder to advance the class; and certain races may simply be less capable as certain classes (remember, you can't easily alter your stats in this game, so I'd say this is perfectly doable).

So people can be the special snowflake, if they're so inclined, but playing against type will be hardmode. Thus you get freedom to be what you want to be while hopefully still preserving the stereotypes of the various races as the norm.

ddos has been around forever its not just for mmo's, you just need anyones IP and you can ddos the fuck out of them personally as long as you want really.
swing & a miss.

he's referring to the dev panels quote regarding barbarians awful night site as a "denial of service" versus a roleplaying element.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Part of me feels like they are going to restrict certain classes because it seems so obvious, but then you're going to have classes that are basically the same thing. Wizard/Magi/Sorcerer - you get the point. Sure maybe a Human can be a Wizard but not a Magi, whatever.

Keep in mind there's 40 fucking classes. That's the only thing that makes me think they will have some limitations to them no matter what.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
the boss fight they showed during the preview, think it was the tier 3 fire/lava area, seemed very very "instancey". it looked as if they tunneled into a throneroom.
Nah. There is a bunch of semi-random POIs set after every earthquake in each tier allegedly related to the omfg "20000" years of history. All non instanced. That's the Diablo part of eqdiablolcraft.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Id neg the fuck out of anyone who *liked* the VT key. Or the VP key for that matter. And if it wasn't just a key bottleneck it was a broken encounter bottleneck. Or a not dropping the fucking piece bottleneck.

EQ was all about controlling progression through bottlenecks....Designing encounters around CH. Having Brad assure you personally on whineplay that your week of logs and parsing is incorrect and Magician Pets do dual wield. Its like the Director of the Louvre looking at the Mona Lisa and saying, this is a fantastic Monet!

You had to live with it, but you never loved it.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Id neg the fuck out of anyone who *liked* the VT key. Or the VP key for that matter. And if it wasn't just a key bottleneck it was a broken encounter bottleneck. Or a not dropping the fucking piece bottleneck.

EQ was all about controlling progression through bottlenecks....Designing encounters around CH. Having Brad assure you personally on whineplay that your week of logs and parsing is incorrect and Magician Pets do dual wield. Its like the Director of the Louvre looking at the Mona Lisa and saying, this is a fantastic Monet!

And I'll gladly take that any fucking day of the week instead of the last 10 years of absolute shit.

Bellringer_sl

shitlord

But you did love the fact that once you put in that effort, the reward you got made you significantly more awesome than those who did not. That is what is missing from the genre.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
I don't mind the part of the key that made you kill the previous tier boss, its just all the other random bullshit that is kinda obnoxious.

It did get alot better in later expansions with backflags being available. PoP had by far the worst and most obnoxious punishing keying system of any expac but I think the fact that it was done through raids made it more tolerable. In my experience most raiders want to raid for flags, not be forced into trivial group content with no drops they would ever use to grind out key pieces.

I think this is mostly a pointless discussion cause I dont think we will see the kind of vertical raid tiers in this game that make keying a huge issue.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger

And it must have been extra horrible what with that guy holding that gun to your head as you played.

Something kept us playing. We dwell on the negative stuff, but there was a great deal of good things in there, otherwise we wouldn't have played it. I see a great deal of effort in not only trying to reinvent the genre but to make obsolete the shit that ruined the game.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
But you did love the fact that once you put in that effort, the reward you got made you significantly more awesome than those who did not. That is what is missing from the genre.
It woulda felt that way without the bottlenecks. More often than naught it simply allowed the 2nd tier guilds to catch up

Jait

Molten Core Raider
And it must have been extra horrible what with that guy holding that gun to your head as you played.

Something kept us playing. We dwell on the negative stuff, but there was a great deal of good things in there, otherwise we wouldn't have played it. I see a great deal of effort in not only trying to reinvent the genre but to make obsolete the shit that ruined the game.
Were all posting on this board, dumbfuck. It's a given we all were beyond fanatical about eq1. You might have seen my posts over the past 15 years talking about it
tongue.png

Bellringer_sl

shitlord
It woulda felt that way without the bottlenecks. More often than naught it simply allowed the 2nd tier guilds to catch up
No game has yet to come up with a better alternative to bottlenecks. I think I would rather a tinksink than most other variable "fixes" to the issue.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The worst part of the VT key was trying to equip an entire cutting edge raid guild. The stupid shards were spread out all over normal xp zones and scrub / family guild types would camp certain areas hoping to loot shards themselevs, nevermind the fact they would be lucky to see VT in the following expansion. It was cockblocking all around that dragged out the process for the guilds actually capable of entry. Fuck that key.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
And I'll gladly take that any fucking day of the week instead of the last 10 years of absolute shit.
I've been agreeing with Dumar alot for the last 10 or so pages. It's scary but liberating.

That said at the core idea for the VT key was fine: a list of things you could obtain in a group or with some difficulty solo, and a few bits you needed several groups for. Luclin wasnt the most entertaining place to be though compared to velious or kunark, but it was ok. For the record I also liked the initial Onyxia key including the back and forth (for alliance, havent done the horde version). Really the simple lesson they need to take away from EQ, WoW and how WoW changed over the years is that making it easier isnt the answer despite players asking for it to be easier. Just make it more interesting instead.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
The only shards that could really be camped by newbs were the Dawnshround rockhoppers. Abysmal drop rates on a couple of them were far worse than any casual involvement.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Why are you arguing about this shit when its quite apparent there wont be any of this sort of shit in eqnext.

Banal_sl

shitlord
No game has yet to come up with a better alternative to bottlenecks. I think I would rather a tinksink than most other variable "fixes" to the issue.
Can you clarify what "issue" you're referring to? The fact that developers can't make content fast enough? Or do you believe that ability to tolerate a timesink/hours of trivial gameplay should be the differential for success in game?