EQ Never

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Ah you're probably right. It was the way he said it that immediately gave me the impression we were all starting out as the same thing. I think that had also been floated out there previously, but obviously there's no confirmation anywhere.

Everything is speculation at this point.
We are all starting out as the same thing in Landmark - which is what they were mostly talking about, otherwise Randin's point if they were talking about EQN. I am much more concerned with the selling shortcuts but SOE is not PTW comment. WTF does that mean? JBoots 2000 Station Cash?

dgrabs_sl

shitlord
Considering how often they've referenced denial-of-service, I have a feeling that classes are going to be SUPER easy to find and/or acquired via station cash in lieu of exploration. And that shouldn't constitute pay-to-win because they are supposed to be balanced.

It's only going to take 1 mouth-breathing Timmy to start whining up and down about how it's unfair that he can't play a Myrmidon or whatever simply because he doesn't have the same amount of time as others to go out and find said class.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Ah you're probably right. It was the way he said it that immediately gave me the impression we were all starting out as the same thing. I think that had also been floated out there previously, but obviously there's no confirmation anywhere.

Everything is speculation at this point.
Far as I know, the official statement is that, in EQN, eight of the forty classes will be starting options, of which you choose one to start as. No word yet on whether access to those eight classes will be restricted based on race.

In EQNL, there will just be one class, the Adventurer, which everyone will play as. Those who play EQNL will also start EQN with access to the Adventurer, in addition to their regular starting class.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Considering how often they've referenced denial-of-service, I have a feeling that classes are going to be SUPER easy to find and/or acquired via station cash in lieu of exploration. And that shouldn't constitute pay-to-win because they are supposed to be balanced.

It's only going to take 1 mouth-breathing Timmy to start whining up and down about how it's unfair that he can't play a Myrmidon or whatever simply because he doesn't have the same amount of time as others to go out and find said class.
Yeah, I want some clarification on the shortcut comment -_-. Nothing would make me loose interest in EQN faster than the ability to buy classes, speedy travel or any other PTW item from the cash shop. Even XP pots (or wtf the equivalent is in EQN) doesn't bother me as much given the flat leveling as being able to buy classes.

It they mean we're selling our own templates for player housing or race unlocks, then fine. But color me dubious.

dgrabs_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I want some clarification on the shortcut comment -_-. Nothing would make me loose interest in EQN faster than the ability to buy classes, speedy travel or any other PTW item from the cash shop. Even XP pots (or wtf the equivalent is in EQN) doesn't bother me as much given the flat leveling as being able to buy classes.

It they mean we're selling our own templates for player housing or race unlocks, then fine. But color me dubious.
Yeah they're going to be tip-toeing the line of P2W with every chance they get if it means more money in their pockets.

"Just because you move faster than another player doesn't automatically mean you're more powerful than him."

I forsee a lot of bullshit rhetoric in our future.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
I thought he was talking about landmark when he referenced shortcuts. Then again I have trouble following which version of the game they are talking about constantly.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider

I think classes are going to be similiar to how they do champs in LoL. Having new champs is nice but not required and can be gained via in game effort or smed bucks if you just have to have uberbard class now.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Also this is all speculation on my part but it would likely make sense in a free to play type game as a reasonable way to monetize it.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I don't understand why you people don't get the concept that there copying LoL just replace champions with classes.

Honestly unless they say otherwise I expect 100% of classes to be for sale in shop.

Only difference is LoL has generic exp in form of RP that you can buy everything in game with. While EQN will have quest lines to open classes so SoE can cockblock casuals from certain class es unless they spend $.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
The short cuts he reference probably have some root in Planetside 2. You Regenerate resources in PS2 faster with membership, what that means in EQN I have no idea, crafting cooldowns? But nothing you buy you cant get for free (except cosmetic items). You can buy a gun for example for 700 SC (about 5-10 bucks) or you can buy it for 1000 certs (about 3-4 days or playing 3-4 hours a day), but you cant buy skill points in any form.

It'll probably be substitute cash/membership for some sort of resource grinding.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
If the classes are for sale...I'm buying the SK right off the bat.

I'll quest for the others...but if I can start with a shadowknight...they can have my money.
smile.png

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The short cuts he reference probably have some root in Planetside 2. You Regenerate resources in PS2 faster with membership, what that means in EQN I have no idea, crafting cooldowns? But nothing you buy you cant get for free (except cosmetic items). You can buy a gun for example for 700 SC (about 5-10 bucks) or you can buy it for 1000 certs (about 3-4 days or playing 3-4 hours a day), but you cant buy skill points in any form.

It'll probably be substitute cash/membership for some sort of resource grinding.
They will be greedier in EQN then they were in PS2.

They thought PS2 would have a million + active players and were aiming at making a little money off each but they ended up with less players then they had expected. The result is they will push for higher per player monetization in EQN.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Just like in League of Legends, which is a Competitive eSport game, selling Champions is not considered "pay for power". It is the ITEMS in game that actually give you power by increasing the effectiveness of your abilities (which is also what EQN wants to do with equipment). Champions (classes) are a horizontal progression, not vertical. Just like in LoL, there will be Classes that may be considered "bad" but in actuality every champion in LoL CAN be viable under the right circumstances & with good items. I believe EQN will go this route and will definitely follow the LoL model by pumping up new Class releases and selling bundles of classes and shit. What they said they will NOT sell are things that make your skills +betterer.

dgrabs_sl

shitlord
Just like in League of Legends, which is a Competitive eSport game, selling Champions is not considered "pay for power". It is the ITEMS in game that actually give you power by increasing the effectiveness of your abilities (which is also what EQN wants to do with equipment). Champions (classes) are a horizontal progression, not vertical. Just like in LoL, there will be Classes that may be considered "bad" but in actuality every champion in LoL CAN be viable under the right circumstances & with good items. I believe EQN will go this route and will definitely follow the LoL model by pumping up new Class releases and selling bundles of classes and shit. What they said they will NOT sell are things that make your skills +betterer.
Nailed it.

belfast_sl

shitlord
These shortcuts keep showing up in games, and developers wonder why people only play for 3 months. Up to this conversation collecting classes was part of the progression of the game, since levels are not. This is why f2p games are horrible; the creators decide what's part of the game experience and what's part of the extortion package.

Now me and my friends weigh dungeon crawling for 3 hours to get our friend some class that fleshes out some idea he's going for vs. paying 3.99 for the thing. Then one friend bought the 10 class package for 19.99 to catch up (he wants a bargain), and in doing so killed incentive to play x amount of time with us. Now we're all over the damn place, and in reality, I am weighing playing your "game" versus doing something else.

rolx_sl

shitlord

Fuck man I think you may be on to something with short cuts = paying for unlocking classes.