EQ Never

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
This sounds more and more like exactly the kind of game I have wanted to play. Exploring in every direction, taming the continent, establishing new starting cities, etc. sounds purely amazing. If they can make the world free of invisible walls, with climbable/surmountable with magical help/levitate, etc. I will be in nerd heaven.

Just thinking of the Founding of the various cities, helping to "shape" the world in which many of us spent so much time, carving paths in the wilderness, unlocking races and building cities, I am really having to work to keep my enthusiasm in check for what will be at least a 16-month wait and surely be less than the dream game I am imagining.

I guess part of why I am so much less disappointed with GW2 than many is that I really only play for the leveling, exploring the world; GW2 having mostly poor dungeons and an only non-existing endgame really doesn't impact me much at all. The branching success/fail state events, along with the really beautiful world/art direction and music make it a fantastic game for me. I understand it doesn't scratch the MMO itch for raiders/endgame focused folks, or with the WvWvW issues affecting those whose primary concern is PvP.

So here's how I would handle things if I was in charge of EQNext and had the following constraints:

-I'm at my3rdreboot.
-After more than 18 months all I have to show CONCRETELY is a demo built on tech I've barely begun to integrate into my engine.
-I haveLandscapewhere players will probably gleefully recreate large swaths of Norrath very soon.
-I have toSHIPsomething in the next 18-24 months.
-My game has to work/be fun with a PS4 controller.
-Assuming Voxel Farm and Storybricks end up working as intended.
-Assuming my people are capable of creating, if not a complete game, at least a functional_framework_of an MMO in about a year. I won't have tons of content ready, but my base is going to be solid-ish.

What I do is:

-I ship withONEcity/newbie experience (this is confirmed already), Antonica completely mapped out but basically empty/full of "ruins" from the previous wars.

-I slowly use Rallying Calls to progressively add content to the game geographically starting from Qeynos. That allows me to have players "build" towards each objectives while my team & the Landmark people try to keep ahead of them in terms of content creation. The goal of players is toLITERALLY"build" the game world (or something close-ish to it) we know from Everquest 1:

Example1: Soon after the game ships, a Gnoll horde lays siege to the new city. This is a Rallying Call; Qeynos must be saved. When the players succeed, the Gnoll's lands are ruined by the players and the horde is pushed back to a nearbyBurrow.
Example2: After Qeynos's immediate surroundings are secured, players startfanning out.They explore Everfrost; a Rallying Call is started where they are asked to buildHalas.
Example3: Later on, players start needing to move around quite a bit during the same play sessions. The world is getting "bigger" and its somewhat tiresome to explore without teleportation. Rallying Calls are progressively created that allow players to work the reactivation of theWizard Spires.

-I use theunderground layer/procedural contentto make sure there's things to do for players when they are unable/unwilling to participate in Rallying Calls.

-Most of the player progression outside of Rallying Calls (which are really "Theme Park" sort of events in the sense that they are much more directed than the rest of the world) involves usingStorybricks/procedural event mapping:

Example1: While a newbie warrior is wandering around the Qeynos hills area not long after the game launches, the system detects the PC has yet to unlock "whirlwind". It spawns an NPC that starts a dynamic quest leading to the unlocking of Whirlwind.
Example2: A group of players is digging into the ground. The system detects that two of the players have almost reached Tier 2 (they're just missing one piece of equipment each). The system spawns a tough, difficult Boss encounter. After a close fight, both players loot the last piece they need (or, if crafting is necessary for the equipment, the last component they are looking for) giving a strong sense of reward.
Example3: A tier 3 Druid player is wandering around the mountain. The system detects he has yet to unlock the East Karana Druid Ring teleport, which was added last week as a potential procedural system reward after players successfully completed a Rallying Call leading to its in-game construction. The system spawns a "Elder Druid" that challenges the player into a duel for the right to use the newly enabled Ring.

rrr_img_39827.jpg

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Exploring in every direction, taming the continent, establishing new starting cities, etc. sounds purely amazing. If they can make the world free of invisible walls, with climbable/surmountable with magical help/levitate, etc. I will be in nerd heaven.

Just thinking of the Founding of the various cities, helping to "shape" the world in which many of us spent so much time, carving paths in the wilderness, unlocking races and building cities, I am really having to work to keep my enthusiasm in check for what will be at least a 16-month wait and surely be less than the dream game I am imagining.
I'm basing this completely on gut instinct (ok, and 15 years of mmo market obsession), but I have a feeling that what you just described isexactlythe illusion EQN wants to present and will beexactlywhat EQN fails to actually deliver.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
-I have toSHIPsomething in the next18-24months.
Too specific, also correct. Confirmed Ayeshala has l33t insider info and we'll see a lot of his post in EQN (not that it wasn't semi-obvious from the reveal/Found of Halas RC - but good to see confirmed.)

Not sure about the quest unlocks but seems plausible.

Bellringer_sl

shitlord
They want one starting city but are afraid of the shitstorm that will occur. They will try to justify through lore to feel out the fan base the probably do it anyway.

Too specific, also correct. Confirmed Ayeshala has l33t insider info and we'll see a lot of his post in EQN (not that it wasn't semi-obvious from the reveal/Found of Halas RC - but good to see confirmed.)

Not sure about the quest unlocks but seems plausible.
I'm actually using YOUR winkwink nudge nudge post from a few days ago on roughly when we should expect to have our hands on the game as a reference
wink.png

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
For the love of god, stop linking these videos. I know "seraph" isn't an every day word for most people, but I'veneverheard anyone pronounce it serAFF (like giraffe). It's not like SOE made up the word seraph... With a name like Geekdomo you'd think he'd have watched The Matrix a time or two.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Apologies if already mentioned , but thought this was an interesting tidbit said by Brian Green , Storybricks developer , about how the AI could work,

"It might also be something like maybe if you're fighting something and a second monster comes and the second monster hates the monster you're fighting more than it hates you, it might actually join in on your side. This is a possibility; something that could happen. It depends on the situation.""

Bellringer_sl

shitlord
I really hope an expect there to be more than one rallying call at any given time. I also will hate not being able to start in Freeport. That's my home city damnit.

I'm still not very enamored by the idea of very flat progression and MOBA-style combat, but you know with their engine a potential Rallying Call could be to literally "Create the East Karana/Highpass ramp & canyon"
wink.png

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I'm actually using YOUR winkwink nudge nudge post from a few days ago on roughly when we should expect to have our hands on the game as a reference
wink.png
I was just reading bird entrails, take it as you want, I know nothing. Anyway all sounds plausible to me and handy for SOE to not have to build a lot of stuff before shipping.

But they have to fix the shitstorm over combat ASAP. We're all getting bored of the hype and lack of concrete info about some important stuff.

Memo to Sony Marketing: Dribble out classes/races. Release other info.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
They want one starting city but are afraid of the shitstorm that will occur. They will try to justify through lore to feel out the fan base the probably do it anyway.
This is Magneto and Professor X working together before the inevitable split. I can see everyone as uneasy allies for a while until this become more "crisp". I am sick to death of hard-coded factions in games. Its just so much wasted space.
I really hope an expect there to be more than one rallying call at any given time. I also will hate not being able to start in Freeport. That's my home city damnit.
You might not be able to start in Freeport but before the expansion comes out, you canstartFreeport. Tad has the right of it: Its a stroke of genius. By allowing players to build, both in game and out, much of the content, starting off with a world mostly empty of civilization, you cut your launch-time requirements and give the players buy-in/involvement in the evolution of the story. Think about the draw that will have on people. "Get in now, on the ground floor! Do you want to wait until everything has been built or be a part of the legend?" After the initial Foundings (in Antonica/Tunaria/Amaril/whatevs), then things like the Grobb/Froglek story can play out in a whole new in-game way. That isn't even taking into account things like Erudin/Faydwer/Kunark/Velious.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
For the love of god, stop linking these videos. I know "seraph" isn't an every day word for most people, but I'veneverheard anyone pronounce it serAFF (like giraffe). It's not like SOE made up the word seraph... With a name like Geekdomo you'd think he'd have watched The Matrix a time or two.
How do you pronounce it?

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Didn't someone say there could potentially be two RCs at once? Or am I making that up? Anyone? Bueler?