EQ Never

Jais

Trakanon Raider
As long as they dont pull a warhammer and tell everyone the system has hidden unlocks when in reality it is just unlocked manually by soe when they are ready. I remember how infuriated i was with warhammer when we figured out that the contribution system was just random and they were lying about it actually being a system.

I honestly dont care if they have a constant stream of RCs, from the interviews it sounded like they planned that sometimes there would be no RC running, which is fine by me since it is not supposed to be the only thing to do in the game.

Even if they do what you say its fine by me, players finish in 3 weeks, RC then says come back in two weeks and the NPCs will be done building. As long as they dont lie about it. I would much rather that than them never tell you how much wood exactly you need to gather and keep moving the bar internally to buy themselves time all while saying that you just haven't hit the mark yet, working as intended!~
Yeah good point, as long as they're aboveboard about it and don't try to pull the wool over our eyes.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Unless VoxelFarm and StoryBricks were under NDA? I mean, they were developing in the 'Black Box', where even many Sony employees weren't privy to the information.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Love lore and all that. New stuff is cool but the plaguing thing that keeps bugging me is why Qeynos first and not Freeport? I started reading some of the ebooks but doubt they will explain the reason to sail completely around to the far side of Antonica? Did they really not want to allow expansion to Faydwer so early? I know that the contintents are different and its a redo but my understanding Kunark is still in the south east quad. Wish they would at the least give us the map showing Kunark location as ref.

It doesnt make sense to me, Freeport would have been a much better and easier expansion for players and lore. Freeport and Commonlands by name alone helps in a rebuild of lands forgotten and carries a name close to what I would expect from new explorers. I would guess the new map south west area that is unknown would be Rathe Mtn?

rrr_img_39829.jpg

rrr_img_39830.jpg

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Allows them to limit you to one char/server and charge you for an extra character slot. There has definitely been too much thought given to FTP monetization in this game design -_-. Yet another reason to dislike the FTP mentality that seems to infect the kids and devs these days.
Character slots are non-factor for monetization unless there are yet unknown reason to have several characters on one account because its F2P. I mean I'd buy them, but it is 100% convenience because I dont want to manage more gaming accounts then I already do.

I havent seen much info on the F2P aspects, if you could sum up what you heard about that at the event that would be great. Mostly I'm wondering what benefits they could put under the sub. I assume they arent locking item slots o item quality away like they do in the old titles because they dont do that in PS2 which Smed called their new model for F2P a couple of months ago. Cash shop can carry all kinds of shit obviously, but the sub advantages are a mystery to me.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Freeport and Qeynos are probably reversed on that map imho. Storybricks and Voxelfarm are middleware. They designed game and then went looking for middleware to help. Probably some redesign after SB.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
@ Tad10. Get your level headed bullshit out of this thread. You are seriously fucking ruining my entertainment when you keep trying to curb the chicken littles. Thank you.

Tol_sl

shitlord
Love lore and all that. New stuff is cool but the plaguing thing that keeps bugging me is why Qeynos first and not Freeport? I started reading some of the ebooks but doubt they will explain the reason to sail completely around to the far side of Antonica? Did they really not want to allow expansion to Faydwer so early? I know that the contintents are different and its a redo but my understanding Kunark is still in the south east quad. Wish they would at the least give us the map showing Kunark location as ref.
Well, lets say you just scouted the continent. Where would you set up your first city? Freeport has lava and perpetual desert to the south, and the commonlands are pretty overgrown. The karanas on the other hand are filled with boundless fields of fertile farmland, with a river running through it to boot. It would be a no-brainer if I was playing civ5 or something.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Well, lets say you just scouted the continent. Where would you set up your first city? Freeport has lava to the north and perpetual desert to the south. The karanas on the other hand is boundless fields of fertile farmland, with a river running through it to boot.
Not to mention, I don't think the elves would be too keen on setting up their new empire on the ruins of their old one. Freeport/Desert of Ro(Ashfang)/Oasis are where Takish Hiz was.

Mythas 5thboardnow

Silver Knight of the Realm
Except in that picture Freeport has a plains esque area to the south. Qeynos seems to probably have Tundra to the north despite being nestled in the plains of karana.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Freeport and Qeynos are probably reversed on that map imho. Storybricks and Voxelfarm are middleware. They designed game and then went looking for middleware to help. Probably some redesign after SB.
One thing that is definitely reversed on the Curse map is the Commonlands and Desert of Ro. Sailing up from Kunark, its probably easier to escape Ring of Scale notice by moving to the other side of TunariaAntonicaAnadril, story-wise; metagame-wise it allows you time to expand east and set up the building of Freeport as the prelude to either an expansion to Faydwer or Kunark.

Tol_sl

shitlord
Except in that picture Freeport has a plains esque area to the south. Qeynos seems to probably have Tundra to the north despite being nestled in the plains of karana.
Eh, it looks pretty contoured and overgrown. If you think of EQ1 thats how it was too. West Karana was a giant stretch of farms and rural settlements, and the commonlands was just the occasional inn and guard posts, and was more of a trade hub than an agricultural zone.

italica

Trakanon Raider
What was wrong with AQ opening? I had a blast.

You referring to the obvious lag issues I assume?
The number of servers that crashed, were slide shows etc during all of that. Generally unplayable, the event was a good idea. The realities of being able to support that high of a concentration of people with existing technology don't really measure up. Add on top of that voxels/destructible terrain data needing to be streamed? That would be an insanely impressive bit of software/hardware engineering to make it possible to have thousands of players together in one place in real time without the game becoming unplayable.

You're right that it would be cool, but I wouldn't hold my breath on it being pulled off realistically speaking.

The number of servers that crashed, were slide shows etc during all of that. Generally unplayable, the event was a good idea. The realities of being able to support that high of a concentration of people with existing technology don't really measure up. Add on top of that voxels/destructible terrain data needing to be streamed? That would be an insanely impressive bit of software/hardware engineering to make it possible to have thousands of players together in one place in real time without the game becoming unplayable.

You're right that it would be cool, but I wouldn't hold my breath on it being pulled off realistically speaking.
Voxels make things more complicated but the renderer they use in Forgelight is for a start pretty good at managing that kind of stuff.

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
That map is mislabeled big time. Half of those "regions" are from EQ, and based on the lore that's been released, EQN takes place at an earlier point of time (even though it also takes place in an alternate reality).

Desert of Ro & Nektulos = Ashfang

The Commonlands = Unknown region (Rujarkian Hills?)

Misty Thicket is way more north

Innothule = Different name? Innoruuk doesn't appear to exist in the new lore

Permafrost should be on the western side of the mountains, with Everfrost to the west

Without more lore released from SOE, it's pointless to try and figure out where stuff is supposed to be. Many of the events that are in EQ 1 & 2 are not going to happen,and many events will happen differently. They'd reduced the number of gods in Norrath, and changed them so they aren't active participants in the lore. Innoruuk didn't kidnap the king and queen of the elves from Takish-Hiz, take them back to his plane and torture and corrupt them for 300 years in order to create the Teir'Dal. In EQN the Teir'Dal are the military caste of the elven empire, and the short story seems to indicate that the portal they used to escape the dragon horde sent them somewhere; could be the plane of hate (I'm thinking maybe, since the dragon followed them through the portal could be the Dracolich), or it could be the Underfoot where they create Neriak (Keramore Thex's wifes name was 'Neria').

I'd expect a lot more of lore to be revised.

Caliel

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I believe they have said that they won't be using instancing much. So I highly doubt there will be only 1 starting area. It would be way too crowded to have every server start in one spot.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I believe they have said that they won't be using instancing much. So I highly doubt there will be only 1 starting area. It would be way too crowded to have every server start in one spot.
Can't ForgeLight instance or phase an area if need-be?