EQ Never

Jais

Trakanon Raider
From that article,

My other EQN concerns, at this point, basically boil down to the players. More specifically, they boil down to SOE's ability to stick to its sandbox guns and not cave in to those who are going to cry about trinity this, more defined roles that, and basically crap up every discussion with combat-centric complaining instead of realizing that good MMOs place just as much -- if not more -- emphasis on world-building, socialization, and the economy as they do on combat.
Sounds like homeboy just wants Landmark.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
From that article,

Sounds like homeboy just wants Landmark.
Sounds like homeboy has some sense. The more they cater to crybaby's the worse off this game will be.

At first when they said "We want you to help us make OUR game" I was all yay! But they I read what people were posting on forums and I was all boooo!

Any Euro's having issues signing up for the beta?
1) I click Sign Up, it asks me for my region. When I choose US, it returns me to the home page. Rinse & repeat
When I click EU, I get forwarded to the UK page where there is no option to sign up for BETA, unless you create a new account (???) I tried, but obviously my email is in use.

So what's the real trick to sign up?
Use a VPN and sign up from a "US" server.

I'm serious.

Bellringer_sl

shitlord
Wrong about housing/Landmark. There is non-instanced player housing in EQN. But from the comment that you had to "earn the deed" or wtf McPherson said, it looks like limited NIP housing.
It probably wont be too hard to earn a deed, otherwise it'll be labeled as "denial of service". Such a idiot term.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
At first when they said "We want you to help us make OUR game" I was all yay! But they I read what people were posting on forums and I was all boooo!
Edsel.

@Bellringer I don't think it'll be that easy, VG Guild Halls were a PITA. But maybe I'm totally offbase though: that is a beyond retarded expression and if it is indicative of the SOE thought process maybe we will all be Tier 5 in our starting class in a week?
frown.png

Denaut

Trump's Staff
From a tech point of view, anyone shed some light on the viability of complex storybricks considering the traditional limit imposed on number of active quests per player? As far as I'm aware the reason quest journals have a maximum number of quests is because tracking a large number of quests per player quickly eats through resources. Am I way off here? If not how are storybricks going to work considering the amount of data that has to be tracked per player will be vastly multiplied, by the order of several magnitudes I imagine..
That depends on the type of database they use. Traditionally games used relational databases which aren't all that great for games, modern engines use NoSQL which are blindingly fast for games by comparison. Manipulating a quest log in a relational database could involve lots of operations including relatively slow join/split operations. In a NoSQL database you are basically just writing text to a single document, which is very fast and easy.

That being said I am a bit skeptical that storybricks is some revolutionary panacea if it resembles the demo I saw a while (year and a half?) ago posted on this board. Was it that storybricks? I played around with it a bit and it felt pretty meh to me.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
That depends on the type of database they use. Traditionally games used relational databases which aren't all that great for games, modern engines use NoSQL which are blindingly fast for games by comparison. Manipulating a quest log in a relational database could involve lots of operations including relatively slow join/split operations. In a NoSQL database you are basically just writing text to a single document, which is very fast and easy.

That being said I am a bit skeptical that storybricks is some revolutionary panacea if it resembles the demo I saw a while (year and a half?) ago posted on this board. Was it that storybricks? I played around with it a bit and it felt pretty meh to me.
AFAIK, there's no quest list like WoW. Much more EQ like. You've got the turn-ins, you can turn-in. maybe.
eqn.junkiesnation.com is posting a couple of interviews with SB next week, fwiw.

Otherwise I think (but don't know for sure - didn't really get an answer to this question) that SB just tracks what kind of person you are (good/bad, generous/thrifty, etc.) and the NPC will respond based on your character. So Joe the Merchant may or may not offer you money for the Head of the Orc Captain depending on how much he hates orcs and likes/dislikes you (based on your past behavior).