EQ Never

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
My biggest fear is that they will have a few good ideas but the game will otherwise be such absolute shit that everybody else is afraid to expand on it for years. The concept of card battles for diplomacy in VanGuard had my nipples razor hard but they fucked it up so bad along with the rest of the game that it'll be ages before somebody else does it.

iannis

Musty Nester
The thing that gets me is that for those mechanisms Tad is talking about toreallywork, they'll need npc/pc collision detection at the very least and probably full collision detection for all rendered objects. But they're "still deciding" (as per their roundtable) if they're going to have collision detection.

So they're trying to figure out if they can do it on the cheap. They can't -- and games which have tried this sort of tactical gameplay without collision detection should inform them of that. It shouldn't be a discussion.

Honestly though? The shit that Tad's talking about? With collision detection that would be fucking awesome.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Then you end up with the situation we had in DDO where you just always tanked mobs in a doorway. They couldn't get around you so you just had one guy load the fuck up on defensive gear, put up his shield and just stand there.

Then you end up with the situation we had in DDO where you just always tanked mobs in a doorway. They couldn't get around you so you just had one guy load the fuck up on defensive gear, put up his shield and just stand there.
Well, in theory in EQN the mobs can make a second doorway. Or just take out the entire wall.

Bellringer_sl

shitlord
My biggest fear is that they will have a few good ideas but the game will otherwise be such absolute shit that everybody else is afraid to expand on it for years. The concept of card battles for diplomacy in VanGuard had my nipples razor hard but they fucked it up so bad along with the rest of the game that it'll be ages before somebody else does it.
Well the problem I see is that with the amount of information they have released, people's imaginations (those with imaginations) can run wild with the infinite possibilities of an advanced AI mob and how the world "could" work. Expectations can't possibly be met....or can they? They took a big risk teasing people with what they have so far. I really don't think it was a good decision.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Your guess is as good as mine on whether they can execute.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Your guess is as good as mine on whether they can execute.
They've set themselves up big time.. Actually kind of behind the 8ball now b/c before I figured a lot of what they were doing was already in and tested. I'm not so sure about that now.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
They've set themselves up big time.. Actually kind of behind the 8ball now b/c before I figured a lot of what they were doing was already in and tested. I'm not so sure about that now.
I know a tiny bit about what's going on with SB/SOE due to a 10 minute interview with Brian Green at SOELive that should go up anyday now on the eqn site @Powah? -Don't want to say anything until it's up because I think he's putting up some other interviews with SB people that may reveal more than I know. But the SB guys seemed pretty confident.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
SB has been worked on for years, and not just to make money asap by half-assing it into something sellable. So their foundation is probably solid. Implementation in EQN might just be on paper but I think thats no big hurdle.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
I just realized ill be playing a Sony game on a sony tv an a sony playstation. Makes me sad for some reason

tad10

Elisha Dushku
http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cf...897498#5897498

Looks like you don't get all 4 weapons skills all at once:

TaliskerDev_sl said:
Lots of good conversation going on here. Figured it would be easier to make an account and respond to everyone than send telegraphs via twitter.

Please don't take anything I saw here as flippant or condescending,etc. This is good conversation and I thank you all for participating.

Let me clear this up for everyone. The current plan is that each class has a pair of weapons that they can use. Each of these weapons gives the class 4 unique abilities themed for the class. These 4 abilities are earned over the progression of the class. So if a class uses 2 swords and a spear then they get 4 abilities for the sword and 4 for the spear. This list does not grow beyond 4.

Why did we choose this design?

As we stated in the class panel our many classes is each very focused. Very very focused on a particular gameplay style. We also want each to be very visually distinct and identifiable. Both of these goals become impossible to reach with too many abilities

As has been pointed out n this thread, in EverQuest Next you are able to become any one of 40 classes at launch. These will feature a wide variety of equipment choices, ability load outs and multi-class options. On top of that you can mix character abilities between classes for even more customization. Trust me there is something for everyone here.

Another thing that I cannot overstate - this is not your typical mmo. Our class and progression model cannot be accurately compared to anything on the market today. We have played the games you have played. We know exactly what you are talking about when you bring up issues. Our hope is that together we can make a game we all want to play.

Please keep up the feedback, you guys/gals rock.

Talisker
-2 points to McPherson for posting on mmorpg.