EQemu - Nagafen's Lair (Reborn)

WHAT DO NOW?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MazeEq

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm not sure many of you understand how fucked this project was from Day 1.

I used a database from 2009/2010. Half the in game loot was fucked from that database.

Many spells don't exist.

Mobs don't exist.

I had to re-write half of PoP just to add it to a workable state.

It's better if I come back and start fresh whenever time allows. I let it be known that this was originally a 2-3 month binger for my friends from Phinigel who were burnt on being BIS and raiding bullshit.

I'll take the abuse, it's really not affecting me at all, I'll bring another server up, but polished.

othree

Bronze Knight of the Realm
It is great that you decided to release the data behind the server. Still doesn't erase your decision to delete the server on a whim when it continuing to stay up and even worked on by others would have been the far more sensible and smoother choice...and would have affected you financially in absolutely no way, thus having no impact on your life except you moving on from the project knowing you were respectful of everyone who invested any time into that server, whether dev'ing or playing. I'll copy and paste what I said previously since this is so hard for you to grasp: "Even better, considering you weren't paying to host it any longer, you could have just left the server up and announced your departure from the project; allowing someone else to give dev'ing a go."

MazeEq

Lord Nagafen Raider
No other developer would touch this shitpile.

It's literally a collection of fucking garbage that somehow became a great idea that never should've reached the popularity it did.

Let me know when you get this up and running :).

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
MazeEq MazeEq You know that I know the shit you were dealing with. I cut you more slack than anyone else would here. But even I must say, the way it was handled was just piss poor. I 100% get why you can't commit the time on this server, but you could have left options for people. You weren't hosting anymore, you could have just said it stands as-is and let people play with the minor bugs and annoyances left in game.

To be fair, you were the one going on about custom zones and content, a donation zone (which you took RL cash for btw), and all these server side projects. I am guessing everyone would have been happy with a few final PoP tweaks that could have taken less than a day. Call the server finished there and let Von or whoever host until they are bored with it.

Yea, its your code. You made something that people obviously feel passionate about. You didn't just nuke the server, you nuked any trust the Emu community will ever have for you. There's a million other ways this could have been handled. It's a real shame.

No matter how salty I am about the server, I do hope you get some peace in RL. No one deserves what you've been dealt in such short time. Get some rest dude.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

MazeEq

Lord Nagafen Raider
And yeah, I could've handled it better, but it happened, its done, and I'm not bringing it back up.

Honestly. If I wasn't waiting for a plane to board I wouldn't even be posting shit.

othree

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Wish you the best in your RL Maze, I know all too well about life dealing shitty hands. On the other hand, I hope to never see you actually get the support to have complete access to another server again. You're not meant to be a project lead, and that's ok. You'll do great work for someone else if you can manage to put your ego aside.

SirJames

Golden Squire
OK well thank you Maze for posting the data.

Now, what do we need to do to get the server back up and running?

Do we just install vanilla eqemu, copy the binaries over, import the backup .. and profit?

Also lets coordinate so 3 of us don't like set this up.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

It's literally a collection of fucking garbage that somehow became a great idea that never should've reached the popularity it did.

Let me know when you get this up and running :).

And I don't get this mentality either. You know it was popular, because the server pop was skyrocketing. This community knows EQ and will call bullshit faster than anyone out there, yet somehow turned out en masse. The fact so many stuck out the grind on NL shows it was at the very least entertaining. The server provided something that isn't being offered on any other Emu currently. That "dad's sever" phrase was perfect. People can work at their own pace and see the sights then focus on community more as the difficulty ramped up for each xpac.

Was it perfect? No. But you had a lot of people, myself included, feeding ideas to make it a better experience.

You mentioned making a better and more polished server at some point. Unfortunately, this project will forever haunt your future projects. No one from this community will be willing to risk those hours invested for you to just pull the plug again.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

MazeEq

Lord Nagafen Raider
Jysin Jysin I completely understand that.

If you saw under the hood you'd realize this is just a shiny paint job with a tired out engine.

This is why Secrets and I were working on the revamp that didn't quite work so well.

Trust me, it's a rot box from new england in terms of cars.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'll bring another server up, but polished.

vZw0kf9.gif

• 1Like

Tim

Molten Core Raider

Wow, sounds like those pixels really got you butthurt.

• 1Like

SirJames

Golden Squire
I just setup a discord chat, if anyone is interested in helping to coordinate a new server setup, please join and we can start discussing

Discord

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
After seeing the community's response to me bringing the server down, it's quite clear that I should've did this prior.

As for being "unstable", and having a "meltdown", it's obviously not a meltdown, I pulled the plug on my project.

Note, I said MY project. as in, the only other people who even remotely have claim to it would be Secrets or Ghanja.

With that being said, Secrets is the only man with the source code, and not even I have access to that because it's change controlled that way.

If you want, PM me and I'll assist your setup if you really want to get it running.
Lol at this guy. Get fucked.

Also, there's not a chance in hell most people will touch another Emu done by you.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I guess this is the first time all of you got burned by a EMU? I have been burned by a Naggy Server and its children ..three? times now? I can't be suprised anymore about this stuff.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I posted what I thought was helpful information and because I couldn't read minds(nothing was official posted) my post was edited down to useless and I was treated like shit(which was then edited out). Rose colored glasses removed I didn't like where the server was going so I moved on. In short I quit the server because I did get butt hurt over pixels, and rubbing every ones face in it is a shitty thing to do.

Thank you for the awesome server, thank you for posting the backups. Sorry everything fell apart. Let us all learn, heal, and move on.