EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Got to hand it to them...low estimates are 6000 trailblazers at the moment. That's $594,000 for a game they are going to release for free anyway. Looks like it was a smart move.
It's good for SOE bean counters, sucks for the genre if this becomes normal practice from big developers/publishers.

Angry Amadeus_sl

shitlord
That was awesome! Why don't MMOs ever do weather this way? Sadly, an Everquest thunderstorm still comes closest to the weather in that vid, with the impaired vision, rain, thunder and lightning.
That *is* awesome. Holy shit. Imagine that rainstorm, and stumbling blindly upon Froon and friends at their camp. Or having to take shelter against a tree trunk if you were taking damage while it occurred.

Iadien

Silver Knight of the Realm
The latest account created on the Alpha boards is #6506. Taking into account any SOE accounts, I'd say that's about right. 6400ish Trailblazers so far. That's only counting ones who have made the forum account, so probably a bit more than that.
Not only that, but once Alpha actually begins, many people that have been holding out will cave and purchase one of the two Alpha packs.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Meh, whatever, I guess im not the builder type. I didnt like minecraft either.
You're just not a creative person, man. It's okay. Smed said during his AMA that he hates building but he is still looking forward to the launch and actually actively plays right now during development.

That was awesome! Why don't MMOs ever do weather this way? Sadly, an Everquest thunderstorm still comes closest to the weather in that vid, with the impaired vision, rain, thunder and lightning.
Probably because it's extremely resource intensive when you aren't only looking at 3 trees and low resolution landscapes. Imagine that happening in the center of a busy MMO hub town with 50 players running around. Talk around running in the mud, you're gonna feel like it.

Skurd_sl

shitlord
Grabbed myself a founder's pack now that we're close (I hope...) to alpha release !
So count me in for any guild activities / building or whatever

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
You're just not a creative person, man. It's okay.
LOL, I create shit everyday at work.

rrr_img_58504.jpg

Maybe thats why when I get home I just wanna kill me some shit.

Madikus

Knows nothing.
My fianc? is not a gamer. She is fucking pumped for Landmark.

If EQN:L turns her into a gamer.... I'm sending Ponytail a case of beer. The least I can do for helping to create the perfect woman
My wife, too. Not usually interested in games, but loves to build and create - she played the fuck out of sims, spending all her time making houses.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
LOL, I create shit everyday at work. Maybe thats why when I get home I just wanna kill me some shit.
Fair enough. I don't exactly want to come home from work every day just to program some more applications. You can still explore in Landmark, but maybe you personally would be better-off waiting for EQN proper.

Tol_sl

shitlord
LOL, I create shit everyday at work.

Maybe thats why when I get home I just wanna kill me some shit.
You know, I wouldn't be surprised. When I worked in law enforcement, when I came home and people were watching law and order marathons I wanted to get out of the room as fast as possible.

Anyway, the appeal to me is that the creation tools look amazingly more powerful than minecraft, and I love minecraft. Now add in the fact that it's an MMO and everyone will be building cool stuff everywhere and it sounds like the kind of game I'll have endless fun exploring. I don't think it's something thats for everyone, but I do think it looks amazingly cool for what it is.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
And going to keep saying it, shouldn't be forgotten.

I'm excited for the game, just not the business practices.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
It's good for SOE bean counters, sucks for the genre if this becomes normal practice from big developers/publishers.
Why does it suck? Honest question. How does it negatively impact the industry? You get people testing the game who were willing to shell out money and, thus, have a vested interest in actually testing/improving it. You can still pay absolutely nothing until the game is released, just like you always could since the dawn of time. It's not really changing anything if you don't want to spend money on untested product. Crowd-sourcing isn't going anywhere and it's only going to become more common.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Crowd-sourcing isn't going anywhere and it's only going to become more common.
Which is fine for small teams and companies or individuals. But for big huge corporations? No. Imagine if EA did this shit or Activision, people would be shitting on them all day about being the devil corporation. And I can guarantee they are seeing this and will end up doing the same thing because why not, get idiots to pay to alpha test your game. People bitch and complain companies have no respect for consumers and just are out for the all mighty dollar, yet they turn around and purchase and support said behavior.

Iadien

Silver Knight of the Realm
Big companies have been doing this for many years. It's called pre-order to play a game early. The only difference is one is F2P and one is B2P.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
People bitch and complain companies have no respect for consumers and just are out for the all mighty dollar, yet they turn around and purchase and support said behavior.
So those same people who bitch are the same ones buying the alpha access? I would agree that's hypocritical. But a very large portion of gamers don't really give a fuck and just want to play and enjoy games. If the end result is still a game gets released as (mostly) promised, I don't really see the problem. It's completely voluntary and doesn't affect anyone who doesn't want to pay for this early access, alpha-testing, preview type scenarios.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Big companies have been doing this for many years. It's called pre-order to play a game early. The only difference is one is F2P and one is B2P.
Yes and people threw a fit when SWTOR took pre-orders 4 months early, calling it a cash grab. Now look where we are and what people accept and it will probably just get worse. No big deal, players just can't cry foul anymore when they see companies monetizing every aspect of games.

InterSlayer_sl

shitlord
Yes and people threw a fit when SWTOR took pre-orders 4 months early, calling it a cash grab. Now look where we are and what people accept and it will probably just get worse. No big deal, players just can't cry foul anymore when they see companies monetizing every aspect of games.
There's a difference between announcing preorders and waiting 4 months until release day, vs announcing preorders and being able to play the game as it is made and in some way also facilitate the development process.