EVE Online

Fazana_sl

shitlord
In what has to be said is one hell of an operation considering it had a standing start almost out of the blue SOLAR have got to work on almost every area they had lost. In the end it's "just" going to cost them some annoyment at having to do all this and the money the chap ran off with. It appears he wasn't even a goon, he just asked them for a corp-theft-101 type guide and followed it. He had a grudge against the current leadership of the area which enriched him to the tune of around 350-400b! Ka-razy!

Sidhe

<Banned>
A CCP sysadmin just made a typo and performed a remap to remove all systems other than "Q9PP-H" from the server node where a massive fight was going, with over a hundred capitals still tackled and surrounded. He meant to type "Z9PP-H" but as a result of this mistake, all players were kicked out of the system where the fight was occurring.

The losing side sent out Jabber broadcasts telling their pilots to not log back in to the deathtrap they had been in, and now a several-hours long battle (that had the potential to severely affect the outcome of the war) got cut short.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
This is the sort of stuff that I've been reading about for years that has always tempted me to want to play EVE. The side drama from the Ponzi scheme on just seems interesting.

I always read a mix of what to do/how to start as a brand new player , anyone have any definitive site/guide they would recommend for an experienced mmo player but zero EVE experience ?

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Download the free trial.
Play the Tutorial. Actually play the motherfucker. Most "mmo veterans" etc treat all tutorial/newbie zones/etc with contempt and either skip or rush through it. Don't. The game plays vastly different than any standard fantasy mmo. Everything from basic controls to UI elements etc is just fundamentally different from anything else out there right now.
join "FOH" channel in game

The new player experience has been iterated upon numerous times to make it as pain free as possible. You really can't fuck up a new character and gimp him for life or anything (you used to be able to) The only thing that is permanent is your name. race/bloodline/school etc doesn't mean shit in the long run, but choose something that sounds like what you want to be doing, ie mining, combat, Industry (tradeskill stuff), etc. you'll start with a few extra skills in those areas that will make it easier starting out.

kismet_sl

shitlord
I always read a mix of what to do/how to start as a brand new player , anyone have any definitive site/guide they would recommend for an experienced mmo player but zero EVE experience ?
Character creation has been made very simple and mostly aesthetic now. My advice is to join a corp and get into PvP immediately. There are several newbie friendly ones out there (I am biased towards Brave Newbies Inc). That corp will have a training plan for new pilots so you can get into the corporate sponsored ship load outs quickly. Only way to really learn is to get out there and fleet up. There is an FOH channel that a lot of experienced guys still idle in if you need advice or guidance once in game.

Arakkis

N00b
TheGoonwikihas good basic info on skills and character creation. As always, I would recommend getting into 0.0 as soon as possible and doing the "fun" things in the game. Most big alliances have an intro corp they will let you into. Just never pay any kind of deposit, that's a scam. Also don't let them move your shit out to 0.0 because that's a common scam too. Just sell it all.

Phred_sl

shitlord
TheGoonwikihas good basic info on skills and character creation. As always, I would recommend getting into 0.0 as soon as possible and doing the "fun" things in the game. Most big alliances have an intro corp they will let you into. Just never pay any kind of deposit, that's a scam. Also don't let them move your shit out to 0.0 because that's a common scam too. Just sell it all.
Unfortunately most of the good stuff is blocked off unless you are in goons.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
I used to make most of my Isk training and selling characters. It's completely legitimate in Eve to buy/sell Characters. Not sure if you meant to, but you said account. buying accounts is just dumb, don't do it. It costs 20 bucks for character transfers but every character you have should be on an account that you own, that has your name/billing info/etc. People can at any time get their account back.

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider
Unfortunately most of the good stuff is blocked off unless you are in goons.
I disagree. Nobody likes CFC.

On the other hand.. my very own Rorqual, w00t. A miners wet dream
wink.png

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
This is probably newsworthy:http://eve-kill.net/?a=pilot_detail&plt_id=14236

My alliance lost one of the most expensive fitting+ship in the history of even, possibly the most expensive ship ever. Its an extremely rare faction mothership, which contributes hugely to the value of the hull. There's a recording from mumble after the fact, but it got replaced with shitting noises. Maybe someone else made a copy and can post a link.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Partly due to the fact that only like 5 of them have ever been built. The Revenant hull was nerfed to be arguably the worst SC something like 2 weeks after launch. PL bought the handful of BPCs that were initially farmed up at the launch of incursions for a Revenant fleet that never ended up being built.

Bellringer_sl

shitlord
I saw that recording earlier today. It was great. I have said this to multiple friends today.... If the game you are playing cannot incite this much rage, then you are playing the wrong game. If we could get a fantasy game with the competitive mentality of EvE, the world would be a better place.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
No one is gonna give you any flak for buying a char in EVE.
I know, but it still has a bit of a stigma in the MMO community at large.

If they nerfed the fuck out of missiles, I wouldn't bother restarting anyway. No point throwing good money after bad.

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
PL does stupid shit in their fishing fleets constantly, it is a wonder they don't get burned more often. They'll probably be careful for a few months, but I bet people could pop a bunch of supers 3 months down the road, altho probably not a faction SC.

Was that Grath Telkin? I remembered him having a deeper voice and being a lot more chill or at least doing a more impressive job of raging.