Everquest II

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
Because when they made it, it was built with the idea of single core super processors, instead of multi core ones. At least, thats the story I've heard

penalty_sl

shitlord
Yea you really have to fuck with the settings for like an hour till you find a combination that works. When I started playing again recently it was so laggy that I couldnt play for more than 5 minutes, getting like 10fps. After turning off multi core support and tinkering with things for awhile I finally have it running solid.

Iadien

Silver Knight of the Realm
Because when they made it, it was built with the idea of single core super processors, instead of multi core ones. At least, thats the story I've heard
This is correct. They started working on it before multi-core was a thing.

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
They guessed on future tech and got it wrong. They thought we were gonna have like 20ghz cpus by now. The intent was to "future-proof" EQ2, and it backfired.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Friends are reporting similar problems. They are using the same computers they used when they played a couple years ago. I know I am with the exception of added RAM and a new Video Card and having some weird lag and frame drops. Odd thing is I have always ran EQ2 perfectly and never ran into the issues many have shared but we are having them now. Didn't have time to mess with the settings last night but will see what happens later today.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I crash consistently after playing for a bit then calling to the guild hall. And I had random crashes using one of the custom UIs.

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
I guess I'm glad that it's not only me who is having issues with it. Anyone else hit Options and have a 30 second + lag spike that pretty much freezes your comp

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Biggest performance hit I remember was shadows. It basically runs entirely off of CPU cycles, which the game is already stretching.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Couple of people have found that the game isn't finishing preloading assets and causing problems in game. I spoke to someone today who was having similar issues and after logging into the game 3-5 times this afternoon, the patcher finally began loading the rest of the game. After letting it download 16 Gigs worth of data, the game was running smooth as silk.

Another person said he their patcher was stopping at 0.3% and then just stating it was finished. You can have it do a thorough check and seemed to fix their issue.

As Jysin said, even if getting the game loaded helps you a bit, disabling shadows are a great performance boost.

chorboy

Silver Knight of the Realm
Come through
rrr_img_100406.jpg
it was fun doing think w/ my brave protector

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
I really hate all these new streaming launchers. They create more problems than anything. I miss just hitting play or loading up a game. All these launchers and console start menus are fucking dumb and annoying

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Beta hasn't actually started right?

I wonder.. does the Denethor quest even work with some of these areas missing? Or are they there, but you just have to take a bell to them?

And with reduced xp curve, seems like you'd be grinding a lot in halas/neriak just to keep up. And what are they doing about the items?

I guess the assumption is just "broken until lv70ish"

phorbin

Trakanon Raider
Longtime lurker.. I would definitely be up for the TLP PVP server. I played / high end raided on Nagafen (pvp server) for a few years unti lit died. I loved some old school EQ2 PVP, raid on raid pvp, gank squads in Freeport. etc.