Everquest Mysteries

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
EQ drama was serious business! Ahh.. crazy how we got so wrapped up in that shit.

55k is pretty damn trivial though. Hell, Fungi Tunics sold for more than that back in that era. Just goes to show how worked up people got over pixel drama.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Man the drama. Sucks I was only 13-16 at the time so never really had a good handle on it.

Best I remember though was getting into it with a druid from my guild. He was on another guilds messaeboard openly flirting with their members on a public thread. I see him doing it so I post in the thread "hey you guys know this druid is a guy, right?" I end up getting a pm from him on our board saying I had no right to expose him and he reserves the right to roleplay his characters as he wants.

I was like 14 or 15 then? I couldnt comprehend how fucking crazy that guy was then.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
What? 55k plat was a lot?
yeah, i dont get it either. i had items such as manastones and al kabor boxes i could have turned into hundreds of k plats and that was BEFORE i joined a top tier guild. fuck, i think my regen vest and monk staves were easily worth that. i could probably bundle a bunch of cheap twink shit i solo farmed over a day or two for that. if there was a tradeable item in game i wanted, i got it. i could log on my ranger and just track ancient cyclops or quillemane and make bank in a few hours for MQ. shit wasnt even hard. just took your time and basic knowledge.

Last edited:

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Maybe if you show eq'd it up. EQ was so fucking archiac and backawrds combined with the lack of knowledge meant that unless you had massive luck(winning drops in groups) or just cheated(extremely common) was kind of hard to have tons of money unless you were a druid/cleric.

Last edited:

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Maybe if you show eq'd it up. EQ was so fucking archiac and backawrds combined with the lack of knowledge meant that unless you had massive luck(winning drops in groups) or just cheated(extremely common) was kind of hard to have tons of money.
thats not true. spend a few hours in ec tunnel or wherever on your server people traded at the time during peak playtime hours and you got a sense of what were the hot items. then log on late as fuck when its just the euro guilds and PST players . look for what they are selling and you will inevitably get a hit from a noob or somebody looking to sell something real quick. buy those things up. bank then and then later the next day sell it during peak hours for mass profit. then rinse and repeat or put everything together for a mass bundle and huge score.i played all hours because at the time i was unemployed and pretty much lived in this game so i always had the inside track on the good stuff. for the first year and a half of EQ i was a guildless player in the sense that i was the leader of a guild with no active players. all i had was my wits and the friends i made while grouping. it helped me become a top player in time, but before that i had to get my uber loot through trades/camping/soloing. i was rich as fuck and if i saw a tasty new item being talked about on eqrealms, or whineplay or noows or allakhazaam then i either got it myself or traded for it.

i sometimes got into trouble because back in the day if you got a cloak of flames or a vox staff and you didnt win the item then people wanted to know how the fuck you got dragon loot as an outsider. i never told anyone who traded what to me or if i did i would say it was some level 1 elf named trademestuff or something.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
So.... just be unemployed and play 18 hours a day. Idk why I never took this route for that ez pp.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Most of us were kids, so yeah, being unemployed and playing 18 hours a day was pretty fucking easy.

God damn I miss pizza rolls.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I was 17 when EQ came out. Wasn't aloud to take my computer to my first of year of college which was difficult. Made up for things on the weekends but around my Junior year, I had my computer and I still don't comprehend how I made the time to play like I did. I had several family members play as well. My Dad's company had their entire administration playing at work and I would play with them during breaks nearly all day. When I think about those stories it really amazes me how EQ changed your life and the culture in general. I can't think of any other game I devoted as much time for as long not to mention altering my schedule for the sake of getting time in.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I started college in 1999 and pretty well demonstrated that I liked to stay on it probably more than I should. My parents essentially said that if I maintained a certain GPA, I could bring it the next year. It was probably the right thing to do looking back. Had a double major, part-time job, and I became pretty involved in campus life. Not sure how it would have turned out if I took my computer with me. haha. Most "gaming" nights consisted of N64 stuff too... GoldenEye, Mario Kart, etc. Guess it was timing/age thing.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Pretty sure Manastone was worth upwards near 800k, same with Cloak of Flames, hehe.
lol, im pretty sure i got one manastone by trading a bunch of kunark twink loot and a vox cloak. this was right after they nerfed it to only vanilla zones. manastone came in so handy for epic quests and our goddamn rogues who made us trash our faction for some stupid illusion masks.

Binks

Golden Knight of the Realm
List is correct here, and there's good reasons for most of it. Warriors, like others, were forced to group.

I still remember being traumatized by blue mushrooms in fungus grove as I didn't have a SoD and max AA bandaging (also gnome). A warrior in early EQ days meant being a dependent adult that had to be fearful of everything unless provided a healer. Corpse runs to ToV were trivial as, being a warrior, I was accustomed to running away from everything #sidestrafe