Everquest - Phinigel server

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
I remember Rallos, Bertox and Corinav events being a pain in the ass. Don't remember if it was buggy, or we just constantly fucked something up (likely) Just 100% remember being pissed at the time wasted. I think the first few times doing the Fennin event, shit just abruptly despawned in the middle too.

GoD was the last expansion I paid for, I think I started WoW closed beta somewhere around that time iirc, that was the end of "serious" EQ for me.

Sterling

El Presidente
I mean if you're comparing it to PoP originally there's also the whole character revamp with the TSS expansion that just generally made characters a lot more powerful making earlier content a good bit easier.

gugabuba

Golden Knight of the Realm
Well that was fast. Sounds like 150 Quarm kills if you keep up Aten pace over 6 months. I'm not sure how you keep people logging in for that.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Well, time gets reversed each time you kill him so that's technically 0 Quarm kills right? ;)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I remember Rallos, Bertox and Corinav events being a pain in the ass. Don't remember if it was buggy, or we just constantly fucked something up (likely) Just 100% remember being pissed at the time wasted. I think the first few times doing the Fennin event, shit just abruptly despawned in the middle too.

GoD was the last expansion I paid for, I think I started WoW closed beta somewhere around that time iirc, that was the end of "serious" EQ for me.

I've said it a few times on these boards, but GoD was totally fucked. We were 3rd worldwide to kill Rathe (that was a massive cockblock). Other roadblocks were due to blown triggers like Coirnav and the RZ event. It took time waiting for trigger respawns to learn the overall encounters. But yea, Rathe literally took a patch to fix. It relied heavily on RNG with one of the Councilmen abilities. I think Afterlife managed to down it by sheer luck once. Then it was patched to tune down the RNG ability and it fell right after. Afterlife, Township Rebellion, then us Darkwind.

GoD and the following xpac OoW were supposed to be 1 single xpac, including the level increase to 70. Due to time constraints and wanting to rush something out the door, SoE decided to split the xpac into two. You ended up with GoD with all raid content tuned for level 70 + their respective AA abilities. They level increase didn't come until OoW, so at GoD release everyone was stuck at 65. It was a total shit show. I have screenshots of a level 1 GM Dev in our raids on live server giving us GM summons / GM Reses while taking tuning notes as we died horribly. This was all on live server release, not beta! That was the crux of what was wrong with GoD. People at the bleeding edge quit in droves because they didn't want to waste their time with broken untuned content.

I know things were fixed much later and some actually enjoy the xpac. Those people didn't deal with the months of getting it into working content. I too quit the game for EQ2 beta at this time.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
I've said it a few times on these boards, but GoD was totally fucked. We were 3rd worldwide to kill Rathe (that was a massive cockblock). Other roadblocks were due to blown triggers like Coirnav and the RZ event. It took time waiting for trigger respawns to learn the overall encounters. But yea, Rathe literally took a patch to fix. It relied heavily on RNG with one of the Councilmen abilities. I think Afterlife managed to down it by sheer luck once. Then it was patched to tune down the RNG ability and it fell right after. Afterlife, Township Rebellion, then us Darkwind.

GoD and the following xpac OoW were supposed to be 1 single xpac, including the level increase to 70. Due to time constraints and wanting to rush something out the door, SoE decided to split the xpac into two. You ended up with GoD with all raid content tuned for level 70 + their respective AA abilities. They level increase didn't come until OoW, so at GoD release everyone was stuck at 65. It was a total shit show. I have screenshots of a level 1 GM Dev in our raids on live server giving us GM summons / GM Reses while taking tuning notes as we died horribly. This was all on live server release, not beta! That was the crux of what was wrong with GoD. People at the bleeding edge quit in droves because they didn't want to waste their time with broken untuned content.

I know things were fixed much later and some actually enjoy the xpac. Those people didn't deal with the months of getting it into working content. I too quit the game for EQ2 beta at this time.

We were worldfirst throughout GoD. It was soul destroying - just brutal. Most of the guild burnt out towards the end and we never did much in EQ again after that.

That one decision to release a lvl 70 tuned expac with a lvl 65 player cap was a massive factor in EQ1s demise what with the timing - GoD released first half of 2004 when beta invites to WoW and EQ2 were floating around the major guilds ahead of its Nov 2004 release. Worth remembering that EQ2 launched the same month as WoW and the development on that was as fucked up as GoD. Also City of Heroes and a host of other MMO expacs released that year.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
jeez, really? what a stark contrast between those two games between quality at release. like, hugely.

SoE had been so used to pushing out half assed broken content for years. WoW's polish was groundbreaking at the time.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah no wonder WoW took off so hard and EQ2 flopped. I had no idea it was the same month.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
We were worldfirst throughout GoD. It was soul destroying - just brutal. Most of the guild burnt out towards the end and we never did much in EQ again after that.

That one decision to release a lvl 70 tuned expac with a lvl 65 player cap was a massive factor in EQ1s demise what with the timing - GoD released first half of 2004 when beta invites to WoW and EQ2 were floating around the major guilds ahead of its Nov 2004 release. Worth remembering that EQ2 launched the same month as WoW and the development on that was as fucked up as GoD. Also City of Heroes and a host of other MMO expacs released that year.
Quite accurate but IMO only with respect to Raiders.

TL;DR
Post 2002 Everquest, seen through a casual players eyes, was @ its core already a terribly shitty game stuck in the stone age compared to Wow.

If one looks at EQ from the perspective of the majority casual player, then the vast majority were already suffering horribly from 2003 through 2004. The general population heard its death knell and saw the writing splattered on the wall when PoP came out in 2002. Most were finishing playing through or just past the content of the original Trilogy. By 2003 SoL, shitty as it was, was mostly consumed except for power leveling alts and twinks. It took about a year, through 2003, for the mass of casuals to start catching up to the raid locked PoP content.

By 2004 any casual EQ players still left in non raiding guilds were trying to grind and poopsock through PoP flagging. It was an absolutely brutal slaughter already well in progress before Wow release, with casual people quitting in frustration or rolling the dice trying the sh*tty (for a casual) raiding game.

Then Kaboom!
Wow released with its polished, fun, noob and solo friendly ride to max level, at the same time as casual EQ players were clawing their eyes out trying to suffer through the PoP flagging raids.

WoW win, no contest. It was heorine bliss compared to dentist drill agony for anyone stuck in PoP. It was an even easier choice to bail for the EQ noobs stuck grinding through the now disfunctional and abandoned lower group content.

gugabuba

Golden Knight of the Realm
I think your timing is off there. EQ was on omens of war by the time WoW released. Maybe you are thinking WoW beta? So there were 4 expansions between PoP and WoW release, two of which (LoY and LDoN) were pretty specifically aimed at casuals. I was playing casually around then (I think I quit before Omens) and remember giving up grinding currency for LDoN items more than PoP flagging. Kind of crazy to remember, but I don't think the release of Gates impacted my (admittedly limited) EQ time at all.

Point is, EQ tried to placate the casual masses more than you're making it out, they just failed.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
If i remember correctly EQII was also in play before WoW beta. So it was a double hit for EQ. Not only did they release EQII which drove many people away because EQII was also 150% less brutal than EQ ever was, then the WoW beta hit and drew away the rest, save the diehards that probably still play. Not to mention the other games like DAOC and AO which all had an impact, although lower of course.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
There was a good amount of us from Town Rebs in AoS, Dannin is still playing on Phinny.

G Grisvok Regime Regime Sterling Sterling @radditsu GJ my brothers, I miss and love you guys

You coming back?

I've been playing BF1. I think I lost acces to the forums.

Anyways next time they are raiding and Grisvok is super serious yelling at scrubs play this for me blasting.

• 1Like

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
I think your timing is off there. EQ was on omens of war by the time WoW released.
Point is, EQ tried to placate the casual masses more than you're making it out, they just failed.
We agree on failure for both raiders and non raiders. But I was referring to where players were in terms of gear/group/exp progression.

Except for Raiders on near the endges of progression, the majority of the EQ population lagged behind significantly and often played for the majority of their time in older expansion content years after it was obsolete for the raiders.

EQ noob progression <> Raider progression :)

Raiders could start to consume most expansion content immediately and quickly. EQ Slackers fell farther and farther behind and consumed content much more slolwy.

When PoP was released people without raiding gear were fooked, and could not exp effectively at all in any of the PoP zones. Raiders were happy, mostly. The problem was the content was tuned almost exclusively for raiders and effective progression for slackers was locked away for years.

At the time Wow released a great many casual guilds and players were still cosuming (and hating) early PoP content with a spattering of other shit group content that nobody wanted to touch because PoP gear and exp was better. OOW was an improvment but only briefly delayed the inevitable exodus.

Just my experience from playing with slackers @ that time.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
FFS, how casual slackmode were you guys!?? My server's casual mom and pop guild had killed RZ / Sol Ro and were in all 4 EPs before GoD release. I would place that guild as a dead center average for server. You must have really been in a total shit scrub guild wiping to Caprin or some such nonsense.