Fall 2024 Anime Thread

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Looks like MHA is continuing or will spill over into fall. Today's ep is a big old dagger to the feel.
There is gonna be an 8th season but I'm guessing it will be a half-season of 12-13 episodes rather than another full 25. Six episodes is not enough time to wrap up when they haven't even dealt with Toga yet, let alone AFO and Shigaraki. Also Spinner may need another episode to actually get captured? I don't think any other major players are left.

Death Arms is a great example of the writing that elevates what is generally a very formulaic shonen, especially when you look back from where we are now. When the sludge villain has Bakugo, Death Arms is just like 'well i tried once and it didnt work so i will just stand here doing nothing and hope this kid doesnt die before a hero with a better quirk shows up' and nobody thinks anything is wrong with that, not even Deku. It's a subtle hint from the very beginning that something has fundamentally gone wrong with hero culture. Much later in the show him giving into despair and quitting as a hero is an important contrast to Mt. Lady, who was a rookie fan service airhead that you would have expected to vanish when things went to shit but instead she's ride or die putting it all on the line in two brawls with Gigantomachia and then AFO himself.

The short simplicity of his "redemption" scene is so much better than him randomly showing up on one of the battlefields which is what I had been expecting to be the way he'd come back. Just another great callback to the beginning of the series, he's mentally broken like Deku was at the time but his body moves on its own to save people.

I almost...aaaalmost felt bad for Toya but he's still a hate-filled mass murderer who was trying to suicide bomb thousands of innocent people. The show does a good job of humanizing their villains without ruining things by expecting you to sympathize with them (although some retards do). They're still monsters but it's a bunch of tragic stories where you can see how easy it would to end up walking down that road in that situation, AFO is the only one that's just cartoonishly evil.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I almost...aaaalmost felt bad for Toya but he's still a hate-filled mass murderer who was trying to suicide bomb thousands of innocent people. The show does a good job of humanizing their villains without ruining things by expecting you to sympathize with them (although some retards do). They're still monsters but it's a bunch of tragic stories where you can see how easy it would to end up walking down that road in that situation, AFO is the only one that's just cartoonishly evil.
But hey, who doesn't love a family BBQ?