Fallout 4

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I like this game. It has plenty of gameplay flaws that others have discussed here but most can be forgiven, or were expected. It's Bethesda. However now that the shiny has worn off I'm starting to get really pissed off at the framerate drops in this game. The most obvious and worst are the massive drops when scoping, though there are others that occur seemingly at random. My rig is more than capable of running this thing at ultra, but I still get awful drops even with shit settings. Going from 60 fps down to 15 when I scope for a kill is some bullshit, especially in the middle of a firefight. The load times are wtf as well. I reinstalled onto my SSD to try and cut the time down but it's still uncomfortably long. Wtf did they code this game with? Spaghetti?
try lowering dograys and/or shadows.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Load times on my SSD are like 8 seconds max.

Load times on the ps4 are like 30s to a minute.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
My hybrid drive in my ps4 has loading times that are pretty reasonable. Haven't timed it but around 5 to20 seconds. Not sure on the default drive.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Replace the grip and stock with mods.

You might need science to modify laser weapons I dunno tbh.
Science is used to modify laser/energy weapons. You can also build advanced settlement defense like the laser emplacements.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Guess some of the quest are timed? So many things to explore and clear, I just stockpiling quest, guess need to pay attention to them if they can fail. Think I am 22/23 and still need to find diamond city and just got BoS started.

Also something weird :

Got a message "Failed to save Sanctuary hills(or something like that". Was like wtf, iirc attacks don't start till you show up. So I loaded a save that was about 3 minutes prior, ported to Sanc hill and nothing at first. So while I am stashing junk my turrets go off. I find who they are shooting and its some settler that has been working my base for a bit now, dogmeat was all over him as he was trying to hide behind a wall. Apparently it was some Synth(if talk from the rest of my settlers is right). But no complete message or anything once he died, was very odd considering the "Failed" message earlier. Maybe it leads to something I dunno.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
So has there been any talk of whether Obsidian is gonna try to make a more proper version of this game?

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Been mucking about with this game during the weekend and have come to the conclusion that it's pretty damn good, but I think I'll skip on the whole settlement stuff for the most part. I will use them as a base/home (will probably move my main base to Red Rocket from Sanctuary, but I won't be recruiting Settlers, and won't be pimping it out more than cleaning it up a bit and placing all the crafting stations and containers.

Laerazi_sl

shitlord
Damn.. base building is addicting. Was only planning on making one in Sanctuary, but have four built now with supply routes between them and fully stocked with food, water, and defense. Just finished the one in the bluffs and a trading caravan showed up with a bunch of legendaries for sale. Also a brahmin appeared so I put out a trough and apparently it's staying.. no idea what it adds gameplay-wise.

Before
After

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Are there any other games out there with the scope and breadth of Bethesda games? I can't think of any.

I ask because when I was playing earlier it occurred to me that I wouldn't even know where to begin to implement some semblance of a robust quality assurance process for a game like Fallout 4. There's literally no way to test every change implemented from build to build; the game would spend most of its development time and budget on quality assurance. I daresay that Bethesda games are just as complex and systematically interdependent as any given MMO (for example: one seemingly insignificant bit of code is modified and it breaks all companions' ability to use weapons because their scripting relied on some reference that no longer exists).

Sulrn

Deuces
So I got a quest to go clear the super duper mart I did some experimentation with (where I ran through it 10+ times and found I got 3 legendary mobs nearly every time). I repeated it several times and have a few observations.

1. It seems like the random quests
In this case,
the BoS Knight Rhys asking me to clear locations
don't have as good of knowledge of where you've been as Skyrim did (where many quests would direct you to a nearby location where you've never been). To me this is a big deficiency as that was a very good feature of skyrim.

2. In 4 tests I saw 1 legendary each time. Maybe that was hardcoded because of the quest, maybe it's a variable locked to your level (Such that you get fewer legendaries when you out level an area?) maybe it's something entirely else.

3. In only 1 out of four of the runs were the ghouls properly positioned (Ex: where they crawl out the windows) this was really weird.

4. In all the tests there was a static spawn that wasn't there before, likely due to the quest.
It's a modified Radiant, but it's still radiant questing regardless of what its codenamed now.

As far as 1 goes, it starts off pushing you to new locations, but when you run into cross over (non-cleared with other quest interactions) it seems to preference cleared locations. If you clear out more faction/story quests you'll see it push you further out in response as far as I can tell.

I don't know about you though, but in all my radiant questing in Skyrim I saw a hell of a lot of backtracking. Especially when trying to expand the thieves guild or kill beasts with the companions.

Damn.. base building is addicting. Was only planning on making one in Sanctuary, but have four built now with supply routes between them and fully stocked with food, water, and defense. Just finished the one in the bluffs and a trading caravan showed up with a bunch of legendaries for sale. Also a brahmin appeared so I put out a trough and apparently it's staying.. no idea what it adds gameplay-wise.

Before
After
I wish I thought to do a comparison of Starlight before and after. It's my hub "city" and what I'll try to max affection with. I only wish it had an impact on the actual game besides being a resource generator.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
So has there been any talk of whether Obsidian is gonna try to make a more proper version of this game?
I don't know if there are any hard feelings over New Vegas but Obsidian got fucked over hard on that game so I'd say it is very much doubtful they'll want to try again.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
an impressive sanctuary:
Fallout 4 Sanctuary - Album on Imgur

Maybe it's just confirmation bias but I feel like settlements have the exact problems I thought they'd have: No matter how long you spend on them they look like raider encampments. And generally uninspired ones like this look like boring raider encampments.

I don't really want to play Sims: Fallout, but if I did I'd hope that modders:
1. Create a library of pre-war art assets including homes, businesses, factories, landscapes, vegetation etc.
2. Create a meaningful and integrated system to not just build up your small community as a pristine gem of the wasteland, but also integrate other locations and non-settler communities into it. Ex:
2a. I just cleared out a water purification plant yesterday. I'd love it if this could be properly cleaned up and once added to New Boston (my name for the new civilization), it would provide clean water for everywhere that cleaned their pipes, preventing every settlement from needing to build their own little pile of retarded looking water purifiers.
2b. There are a bunch of different factories out there. Each one should provide some subset of manufacturing that use primary resources, ex: steel -> screws/gears/springs. glass>optics/whatever. Enabling them will proliferate a steady supply of those resources to other settlements.
2c. Groups like Diamond City would be integrated through some basic quest system to allay their fears. Some groups would or could be eradicated instead. Failing a speech check with the mayor of diamond city that causes Diamond City security to attack your settlements until you kill the mayor would be excellent.

3. Be able to stop respawns of certain unmarked enemy areas by building enough settlement around them. The closer you get to Boston the more annoying this will be from a technical standpoint.

4. I don't know how settlers work in FO4 but I think it'd be great if instead of them showing up there was a family system that would create babies that turned into kids and then adults ala FOShelter. There's a pretty firm cap of the number of possible NPCs in a given area and that's fine (I know what going over that limit does in Skyrim with certain mods, lol).

5. Be able to delegate scavaging, settling, base building and defense in a much more meaningful way than there is currently.

In the end, you'd be able to create a thriving civilization, not some cookie cutter looking fort that looked like your dad helped you build from some pile of shit you found in the woods.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
an impressive sanctuary:
Fallout 4 Sanctuary - Album on Imgur

Maybe it's just confirmation bias but I feel like settlements have the exact problems I thought they'd have: No matter how long you spend on them they look like raider encampments. And generally uninspired ones like this look like boring raider encampments.

I don't really want to play Sims: Fallout, but if I did I'd hope that modders:
1. Create a library of pre-war art assets including homes, businesses, factories, landscapes, vegetation etc.
2. Create a meaningful and integrated system to not just build up your small community as a pristine gem of the wasteland, but also integrate other locations and non-settler communities into it. Ex:
2a. I just cleared out a water purification plant yesterday. I'd love it if this could be properly cleaned up and once added to New Boston (my name for the new civilization), it would provide clean water for everywhere that cleaned their pipes, preventing every settlement from needing to build their own little pile of retarded looking water purifiers.
2b. There are a bunch of different factories out there. Each one should provide some subset of manufacturing that use primary resources, ex: steel -> screws/gears/springs. glass>optics/whatever. Enabling them will proliferate a steady supply of those resources to other settlements.
2c. Groups like Diamond City would be integrated through some basic quest system to allay their fears. Some groups would or could be eradicated instead. Failing a speech check with the mayor of diamond city that causes Diamond City security to attack your settlements until you kill the mayor would be excellent.

3. Be able to stop respawns of certain unmarked enemy areas by building enough settlement around them. The closer you get to Boston the more annoying this will be from a technical standpoint.

4. I don't know how settlers work in FO4 but I think it'd be great if instead of them showing up there was a family system that would create babies that turned into kids and then adults ala FOShelter. There's a pretty firm cap of the number of possible NPCs in a given area and that's fine (I know what going over that limit does in Skyrim with certain mods, lol).

5. Be able to delegate scavaging, settling, base building and defense in a much more meaningful way than there is currently.

In the end, you'd be able to create a thriving civilization, not some cookie cutter looking fort that looked like your dad helped you build from some pile of shit you found in the woods.
I'd be happy if they just let me cut the fucking grass/weeds.

How do we set up trade routes? I have four settlements but no idea how to start these trade routes up.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I don't know if there are any hard feelings over New Vegas but Obsidian got fucked over hard on that game so I'd say it is very much doubtful they'll want to try again.
I swear I saw something pop in my news feed the other day saying they're down to if Bethesda gives them the green light.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Chris Avellone is gone from Obsidian.

Combined with the new dialogue system, there's no way a NV 2 couldn't disappoint.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It'd be funny if NV2 ditched the new dialog system and voiced PC and it was 3x better.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Bethesda would mandate they use it as part of the agreement to make a new game is the problem