Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
3x Edgars isn't viable on hard content.

I think Edgar chains have been used to clear everything so far in GL that doesn't have phases (i.e. Maxwell). It's been used on some of the upcoming ones too, like Siren+Ifrit. I don't use it much myself because Gilgamesh is the best finisher we have in GL right now and I didn't pull him. Hoping to get some mileage out of Edgar or Chizuru once Firion 6* is out though.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
I've never used Edgar chains, but always hear about it, so wanted to try it out after reading your post. I cactuar'ed up a second Edgar (I'm overloaded with them, so didn't mind), geared a full team in wind weapons (including Gilgamesh in my best gear, 769 atk w/ Kazekiri wind katana) and went into the latest trial (March of the Beasts). Exact team was:

Gilgamesh (769 atk, wind weapon) -- Divider
Noctis (411 atk, wind weapon) -- Warp Break (on the tankiest target)
Edgar (wind weapon, full hp/def gear/materia otherwise) -- Chainsaw
Edgar (wind weapon, full hp/def gear/materia otherwise) -- Chainsaw
Refia (for Embolden)
friend Lightning (for Aero Blitz.... was the only friend option with wind)

Now, I'll absolutely say that team is far from fully optimal, but it was the best I could do since Edgars can't use any holy weapons (could have used multiple excalibur + an excalibur gilgamesh friend if they could). I also probably didn't have perfect timing, but I still chained decently enough.

First fight took two rounds to clear with the wind chains (1 mob died, the insect lived)
Second fight took two rounds (big ochu lived)
Third fight took 3 rounds (1 slime died first round, other two died second round, roper died after three rounds).
Fourth fight brought the flameblade mob to 60% life first round, then both edgars died to a single normal attack from the bosses.

Decided to give up the test at that point. I just don't see it. The only way I can imagine Edgars being viable in endgame content is if they're massively decked out in TM gear so they can live, and even then, the damage wasn't anything special.

Edgars were used for the Dark Ifrit trial? Is there a youtube video of that? I'm having a hard time believing it.

Vorph

You don't need the finisher to match the element of the chainsaws so Excalibur is ideal on Gilgamesh for the new trial. 2 Edgars is too unreliable though, the chain is very likely to reset. And I think people still using him on the latest stuff do have to have DW on at least two of them (with better finisher units that could change). The chain has to last long enough to 4x boost both attacks from the Gilgamesh or else you won't OTK the stuff. I can't find a full clear video of Edgar team vs. beasts, just people posting the end of it.

That's the one I saw posted to reddit yesterday. It sounded like he abused Noctis to get to the end and show off the OTK on Europa. Wyvern probably shouldn't have taken that long and he said his chain timing was still off a bit.

I'll look for a better Dark Ifrit video, only one I could dig up immediately was using Setzer. Not that it isn't legit, but if Setzer doesn't roll 77777 then you're going to wipe (technically 55555 would work too if you can extend the chain long enough with a third Edgar and/or DWs that both hits are multiplied). That said, I would think that Gilgamesh completely decked out could hit just as hard with Divider and not have to worry about the RNG. Also bringing a full team for buffs, debuffs, third Edgar, etc. would help.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
My motherfucking FOURTH 7, second gold crystal 7 in a row. Mother fucker. I also have a Jack. I wouldn't even fucking pull but I need a god damn Zidane. Fuck.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Vinen

God is dead
My motherfucking FOURTH 7, second gold crystal 7 in a row. Mother fucker. I also have a Jack. I wouldn't even fucking pull but I need a god damn Zidane. Fuck.

Stop whining. You didn't pull 3 4* Tellah in a row like I did. Just wanted 1 more Type0 char for farming...

fris

Blackwing Lair Raider
my only dual wield came from gilg. if i pull a noc or any of the upcoming physical badasses, it wouldn't really help my team. if there's ever a banner w/ zidane, i'm going all in.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
How am I supposed to awaken Ariana when the event won't give me one of her awakening materials? I have like 20 of everything but perfume. Getting sick of this.

Vorph

If you've already got 63 notes, just farm the 3 NRG stage for the last of the awakening mats.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
It sounds like this week's event is another raid event based on the Chinese New Year. Banner units are Chocobo Rider (5 star base 6 star max), Dancer (4 base 6 max) and Xiao (3 base and can now be awakened to a 6 star).

So I'm guessing next week will be the II event followed by the Orlandu banner a week later. That way there is no grind event overlap.

I've already got a Xiao but depending on how strong Dancer is I might pull for her. When the II event finally lands I want a Firion. And I'm not even going to make a serious try for Orlandu. 5 star bases are simply too hard to pull for without spending money. I'd love to get him since I have everything he needs to be OP but I just don't see it happening in 10K Lapis and 40ish tickets.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Are Chocobo Rider and Dancer GL exclusives?

I heard Xiao used to be great for AoE clearing trash mobs back in the day.

Vorph

Xaio is crap but like I mentioned a few posts back her TM (Kaiser Knuckles) is excellent for 6* Firion, doubly so if you grind out a Snow TM as well. Doubt the event units will be worth pulling for, but I'll do dailies until I at least get Xaio. I've got 5 Firions and 3 Snows, so ideally I should get 2-3 Xaios to be safe.

Chocobo Rider is 5* and doesn't even have a good TM, and Dancer (4*) is listed as a debuffer with a dagger TM that mostly just looks useful for Arena gimmicks.

And JP is getting the event too so none of the stuff is exclusive.

Last edited:

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Man, I'm sick of all these mediocre banners. I haven't done a daily pull in ages and I'm starting to feel that itch, especially since maze is coming up again and the Gigantaurs will be in town.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
Their RNG for summons is broken for sure. I pulled 4 Garlands in like 7-8 summons during the Noctis banner.

Hope Xiao is good. She was one of my early units way back, so I have one maxed out with her TM finished (that I've pretty much never used).

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Sitting here deciding if I slot in DW#4 into my TM group or not...

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
A 4th DW is a luxury. You're well into the realm of diminishing returns. But with that said it's still one of the best abilities in the game and having the flexibility of a 4th isn't a bad thing. I'd say it comes down to what your other options for TMs are.

Vorph

A 4th DW is a luxury. You're well into the realm of diminishing returns. But with that said it's still one of the best abilities in the game and having the flexibility of a 4th isn't a bad thing. I'd say it comes down to what your other options for TMs are.
Definitely can't agree there. IMO you only need to use one slot on tank/heals/buffs the vast majority of the time and 4 dps is ideal. The 5th one gets into luxury territory, but personally I still want four of them not including Lightning's innate.

I'd say it becomes even more true once we get into the chain-or-die meta too.