Final Fantasy VII Remake

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
There's definitely more strategies you can play as you gain cards, also a fact I didn't know about until I was already in like Chapter 11, as you beat/gain the summons for each outdoor zone, you can go back to that card shop guy in Grasslands and buy their card to add to your deck. Not all are that great, but some other options.

Later challenges also get pretty wonky with specified powers and trying to really build certain decks that take advantage of buffing or enfeebling (some of the most powerful decks revolve around you enfeebling/destroying your own weaker cards to buff certain cards that gain in power for every one lowered/destroyed). But basically the 3 main strategies you can do are buffing cards, enfeebling (the opponent or your own with certain cards that benefit), or building a deck that has a lot of options for taking over their pawn spots and basically suffocating them out of having any real spots to play on the board, while you just keep adding more spaces for yourself. I find the last strategy gets you through a lot of the game without needing to change much, barring a few attempts on certain guys needed if you get bad starting cards, etc.

Later on once you get cards that specifically can replace your own (and so do your opponents), meta changes again that you need more balance and power, can't always just suffocate them out of spaces.

For 90% of the card battles I won by focusing on just taking over the majority of the board so the CPU had nowhere to go. Those cards that can be placed on an existing card to flip the pawns next to them were ideal for freezing out the CPU.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
For 90% of the card battles I won by focusing on just taking over the majority of the board so the CPU had nowhere to go. Those cards that can be placed on an existing card to flip the pawns next to them were ideal for freezing out the CPU.

Yup, this is the exact strat I pretty much beat everything with through most of the game. Really only later on when players have multiple replacement cards with a lot of power to them or some of the more specialized challenges that I've needed to tweak anything. Does take a little setup with your deck, making sure you have a good mix of cards that take different types of positions (multi-directional, diagonals, top/bottom lane cards), but you can absolutely be patient and let them expand into you and just suffocate them out a lot of the time.

Malakriss

ff7r_6hm4shsdy4pc1.jpeg

• 4Worf
  • 1Imbecile
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The modern remake project is objectively way, way, way nicer than the original in pretty much every regard. The only places it falls short are narratively and in the area of capturing moods (like having Midgar slums be so damn bright).

Malakriss

6GB patch is now live for Rebirth, not sure what it does yet. Shamefully copy pasted from elsewhere
  • Improved graphic quality
  • Improved frame rate & overall game stability
  • Added "Sharp" & "Soft" options to the performance mode settings
  • Added difficulty settings for certain mini-games
  • Other bug & performance fixes

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
18e6065182673-screenshotUrl.jpg

I really like that Rebirth gives you dialogue and action options sometimes. So you can make Cloud, just for a moment, be a little less of a dickwad.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Merrith

Yeah he was always kind of aloof and shitty, even in the OG. He still does it here, too, but there are more parts where he isn't (granted, a lot more dialogue in general).

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
18e6064456025-screenshotUrl.jpg

Here's the iconic cover shot of FF7. I noticed something weird though. Near the beginning of chapter 16 in Part 1, there's a long hallway that goes off the main path:

18e606451f175-screenshotUrl.jpg

And this hallway ends in a dead end with no treasure, which is already kind of unusual. But also, it has this great big door:

18e6064650882-screenshotUrl.jpg

Door can't be opened, and definitely looks like it's supposed to be for something. Maybe cut content? Maybe nothing, but how out of the way it is with the long hallway, and the door itself looking more important than any of the regular doors in this area, has me spooked.

18e606404d156-screenshotUrl.jpg

In the area right before that there's also some really weird graffiti.

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

joz123

Potato del Grande
View attachment 520903
Here's the iconic cover shot of FF7. I noticed something weird though. Near the beginning of chapter 16 in Part 1, there's a long hallway that goes off the main path:

View attachment 520904
And this hallway ends in a dead end with no treasure, which is already kind of unusual. But also, it has this great big door:

View attachment 520905
Door can't be opened, and definitely looks like it's supposed to be for something. Maybe cut content? Maybe nothing, but how out of the way it is with the long hallway, and the door itself looking more important than any of the regular doors in this area, has me spooked.

View attachment 520906
In the area right before that there's also some really weird graffiti.
Meaning Go On GIF

• 3Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
View attachment 520903

View attachment 520904

View attachment 520905
It's the door from the last area.

It's not contiguous as there's a bit of a jump from the boss area on the Sector 7 wreckage to the central Sector 0 structure, so they glossed over it.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Just thought that area was kind of interesting because it's easy to miss.

It's the door from the last area.

It's not contiguous as there's a bit of a jump from the boss area on the Sector 7 wreckage to the central Sector 0 structure, so they glossed over it.

Yeah I think you're right. I replayed that section and looked around more and that door goes into the sector wall, where they presumably had climbed up. So the door isn't a "door to nowhere" so much as just the door they emerged from but we never saw it in cutscene and the game rejoined them a bit aways from there.

For a second I thought it was some sort of 6th Archstone type cut content zone-in or something.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Man, Rebirth is so much better than Remake. I enjoyed Remake, but I'm loving Rebirth. It has renewed my interest in JRPGs. There's so f'ing much to do and all of it has been fun so far. I'm about 40 hours and just entered Golden Saucer.

1711121527873.png

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Never played the original ff7. Picked up remake like 2 years ago. Got to the part where you race Roche in mad dash. I think chapter 4. Life got busy and I haven’t picked it up since.

Growing up on typical turn based JRPGs it has always been a difficult transition to these new combat styles. Is it worth me picking this back up, finishing it and then trying out rebirth? Sounds like many of you are enjoying rebirth.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Just thought that area was kind of interesting because it's easy to miss.

Yeah I think you're right. I replayed that section and looked around more and that door goes into the sector wall, where they presumably had climbed up. So the door isn't a "door to nowhere" so much as just the door they emerged from but we never saw it in cutscene and the game rejoined them a bit aways from there.

For a second I thought it was some sort of 6th Archstone type cut content zone-in or something.

Did you take the like 100 flights of stairs? I have no idea if the elevator works, I just started climbing 20 flights as a joke and stuck with it. I laughed when the run speed started slowing waaay down. Was worth it for the dialogue.

Merrith

Never played the original ff7. Picked up remake like 2 years ago. Got to the part where you race Roche in mad dash. I think chapter 4. Life got busy and I haven’t picked it up since.

Growing up on typical turn based JRPGs it has always been a difficult transition to these new combat styles. Is it worth me picking this back up, finishing it and then trying out rebirth? Sounds like many of you are enjoying rebirth.

The combat if anything is a little more differentiated from turn based than Remake's was. More bells and whistles. If you didn't enjoy combat in Remake I'm not sure you will in Rebirth. The game is pretty amazing, though, and if you get a grasp on the combat it can be a lot of fun trying out different characters and builds to use.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

I'd say it's worth it yeah. Just bear in mind that Chapter 4 is very early in the game and you have waaaay more to go. Rebirth is also considerably better than Remake so you have that to look forward to at least.

Actually, if you never played FF7 and don't have that nostalgia, I don't know if this is worth it or not. I think Rebirth is a great game regardless, but Remake might only be particularly good for FF7 fans with that 90's nostalgia. For anyone else it might be on the dull side.

At this point Remake is basically just setup for Rebirth (basically the first 30% or so of the story). It's worth playing for someone who is all in with wanting the full story, or someone who grew up with FF7. For you I'd give it a go, but if it starts becoming tedious or you lose interest (which is pretty likely around Chapter 6 or so, the first obnoxiously long tedious area), consider just jumping ahead to Rebirth.