Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I've never done raids in this game to know, but did Square figured out the problem WoW has eternally had with melee dps on raid mobs?

Chris

Potato del Grande
I've never done raids in this game to know, but did Square figured out the problem WoW has eternally had with melee dps on raid mobs?
As a DPS focused Tank I haven't noticed anything too annoying. Yeah I'm not DPS but many bosses only require 1 Tank and all raids have 2-3 Tanks, so I end up DPSing half the time.

Bosses tend to drop lots of different void zone patterns including ones hitting ranged in massive arcs. One very common pattern is melee range being safe and ranged have to move in or die.

Also there's no DPS meter so people just enjoy playing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
All dps are viable, and they explicitly removed a lot of the rng from machinist somewhat recently. It's a lot more balanced now.

• 1Like

Malkav

French Madman
Just be aware that machinists are REALLY ping dependent to perform well.

As far as raid mechanic for melee, the game does a pretty good job at spreading mechanics between ranged and melees. A lot of mechanics actually make some ranged pair up with melees. You'll always be facing a challenge with uptime though, can't DPS when you have to move out. You also have to keep in mind your positionals and use your tools (all melees have True North, a skill with 2 charges on a 45sec CD that allows you to ignore positionals for 10sec, monks also have another tool for that since ALL their GCDs are positionals) to keep up with them. It's all about knowing the fights, which are NEVER random and happen in the same order. Sometime you have a mechanic with 2 variations that can either be either, but you learn to recognize them quickly enough to adjust. And usually, when you get one variation, you're guaranteed the next appearance of the mechanic will be the other.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
I'm looking for a DPS class and started levelling a Bard, got it to lv35 and found it pretty boring.

Tried Red Mage today and it seems really fun. Balance your White/Black magic levels and procs, then when White/Black meters are full, jump into melee range to do a melee combo before somersaulting back out.

Haven't even unlocked the finishing moves yet as I'm still lv50 on it.

I'm looking for something that can heal so I can solo (Bozja seemed much easier as healer), raise is always helpful in raids and I want to be ranged and mobile. Seems like this could be it!

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I've only had a chance to play the red mage a couple times 60+, but I like it's mobility. My go to lately for new dungeons has been the dancer. Pretty easy to play, which let's me pay more attention dungeon/boss mechanics.

Going to keep the rdm, BLM, DNC and samurai around the same level while I work my way through the rest of the story.

Aazrael

I loved playing the BLM but I can't see me doing it any kind of justice in raids. One movement and the whole rotation gets fucked. Not sure if it's me doing it wrong but it kinda felt too stressful at 80.

Maybe there's a trick to it that I don't know about but I could hardly get the max fire nukes in standing still. :p Whish it was a bit more forgiving because it really did a lot of damage.

Araxen

I like BLM, but it's either I'm staring at my hotbars and dying to mechanics, or I'm staring at the mob for their shit and fucking up my rotation. Basically you have to know the fights, so you can plan out when you will have to move around.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
I'm surprised you didn't consider it unplayable at 30 fps...
I did. I was playing at 60+ yesterday. Logged in today and it was 30. Updated driver and that brought it down to 15. No idea wtf to do. GPU was running at like 47% when it was at 30fps, now after the driver it's running at 99% for 15fps. But nothing changed as far as I can tell from yesterday to today when the issue first started with the 30fps. All my temps are fine and the other stuff like cpu is only using like 15%.

Xerge

<Donor>
Change your resolution around(the res list has fps attached to it, change it back and forth) and check the in game FPS limiter, like fiddle with it, turn off and on kinda thing. I always have weird FPS issues when I play ff14 at 1440/144hz. The game fights it

nu_11

I'm reading to throw things out the window.
That’s weird. Never heard of that happening

It’s weird that you’re getting 1/2 1/4 and 1/8 of 60hz. It does sound like a combo of VSYNC and frame limiter problem.

There’s 3 ways to limit frames that I know of: FFXIV in game client, Nvidia inspector, RTSS

You should try to unlock your frame rate on all 3 but check after unlocking each one

Also another tip. I’m pretty sure that (borderless) windowed mode forces (triple buffer, I think) VSYNC even if it’s off as a game setting. Maybe because VSYNC is how windows 10 handles its Desktop?

Last edited:

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Also in case of make sure it's not running off your CPU instead of your GPU(assuming you have an intel cpu since amd don't do that shit). But yeah since it's exactly 15 and 30 FPS it is weird. There is also a potential bug where you're running at background speed cap? The game has an option to cap FPS when it's not the active window(when you alt tab and shit) and I think I remember once it fucked up and was doing that even when active, relaunching fixed it though so might be a different issue.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I did. I was playing at 60+ yesterday. Logged in today and it was 30. Updated driver and that brought it down to 15. No idea wtf to do. GPU was running at like 47% when it was at 30fps, now after the driver it's running at 99% for 15fps. But nothing changed as far as I can tell from yesterday to today when the issue first started with the 30fps. All my temps are fine and the other stuff like cpu is only using like 15%.
Load up another game and see if it's gfx card related? Just to determine if it's isolated or system wide.

If this is a laptop, it could be something similar to what Pyros said in that the automatic switching may have either defaulted to the embedded/onboard vs. the discrete, or the auto-switching stuff for some reason isn't triggering (or -is- but in the wrong way).

Also, when you updated the drivers, did you set it to be managed by the gfx card or something? I seem to remember nvidia wanting to use profiles or some shit the last time I loaded it up, vs. me setting it manually. It may have done something dumb after updating.

Part of this sounds like a failing GFX card, but without knowing if it's system wide or not, hard to tell.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
And I'm instantly reminded how fucking dumb the Mogstation is.... can't get a subscription loaded, no matter which card etc. Fucking japs man

Chysamere

FF14 Free Company Master
<WoW Guild Officer>
And I'm instantly reminded how fucking dumb the Mogstation is.... can't get a subscription loaded, no matter which card etc. Fucking japs man

That's why I quit originally. That and the lag. Wouldn't accept any CC I gave them.

• 1Solidarity

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I use paypal to buy sub. I actually buy Crysta, their own currency shit, but unlike most mmos they don't force you to buy like 5 or 10bucks and it doesn't round properly and you have left overs, you can specify the exact amount if it's above 5, so I buy exactly what I need for a sub and 0-2 retainers depending on what I'm doing, and then I pay with that, so they never try to pull more money either which is nice. But yeah I remember their credit card systems are pretty shit.

• 1Truth!