Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

bolok

Trakanon Raider
They're not gonna bother with another race admittedly- but it would be cool to have a more uhh "menacing" shorty race.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
3lkci6z9gk971.jpg

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Man, i hit the part with Cid and Airship. I swear this is only "good" because it calls back to all the 16bit FF I played as a kid. This isn't as melodramatic and childishly written as GW2 stuff, but its a far cry from SWTOR. (Or even a lot of the shitty fanfic WoW writing....)

I'm in it for the long haul though.

Also, the moment Alphinaud touched Cid's hand as the ship took off...I thought I was about to get a scene of Cid giving a wrench to Alphinaud in the ass with that gorgeous feathered bob rocking to the beat.

Goonsquad Officer
Man, i hit the part with Cid and Airship. I swear this is only "good" because it calls back to all the 16bit FF I played as a kid. This isn't as melodramatic and childishly written as GW2 stuff, but its a far cry from SWTOR. (Or even a lot of the shitty fanfic WoW writing....)

I'm in it for the long haul though.

Also, the moment Alphinaud touched Cid's hand as the ship took off...I thought I was about to get a scene of Cid giving a wrench to Alphinaud in the ass with that gorgeous feathered bob rocking to the beat.
I get the impression alphinaud has bromances with a number of dudes. He's gotta be some kind of super twink.

But yea ff14 is distilled fan service and callbacks to earlier games. The various legions are directly named for the ff they mock. Like the 7th legion was doing the meteor project the 6th legion does magitech and specific spoilers primal research. What is most striking about it is ff14 is pure fan service, and most ip are now engaged in full fan disservice. Shit on lore. Make women characters beastly. Kill good characters. Pussify men. Not ff. They will grab the fan service and nostalgia foot ball and run it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Argarth

On the verandah
Damnit, probably going to give this another try. Really missing playing an MMO lately. (can't bring myself to play WoW again even after nearly 3 years away)

Connecting with Mudfish I usually get ~ 170ms to the NA servers from Australia, and it used to be pretty stable from memory. Didn't seem to have a problem with PLD, WARR, WHM, DRK last time I played. Only dabbled a little in RDM, but read somewhere "dualcast" could be a little tricky with a high/unstable ping?

Dancer has kinda peaked my interest as well. Anyone "in the know" see any ping issues with playing Dancer effectively?

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Presentation Yoshi P did a while ago about MMO development

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Damnit, probably going to give this another try. Really missing playing an MMO lately. (can't bring myself to play WoW again even after nearly 3 years away)

Connecting with Mudfish I usually get ~ 170ms to the NA servers from Australia, and it used to be pretty stable from memory. Didn't seem to have a problem with PLD, WARR, WHM, DRK last time I played. Only dabbled a little in RDM, but read somewhere "dualcast" could be a little tricky with a high/unstable ping?

Dancer has kinda peaked my interest as well. Anyone "in the know" see any ping issues with playing Dancer effectively?
Dancer should be fine, it's a 2.5s GCD class, you do double weave a fair bit though so might be a problem even with the full GCD, but can probably get away with single weave if you tweak the opener and such. A lot of the time is spent using normal GCDs and you have a burst phase every now and then where you dump all ressources but it's not super intensive otherwise, it's a pretty relaxed class.

Classes you'd want to avoid are MNK and NIN(even after the changes), and probably MCH although there's a way to play that even with high ping I believe, just need to play a bit differently(and less efficiently as a result). SMN maybe too there's a lot of oGCDs on that class and they often bunch up or need to be used late in the GCD and stuff. RDM I guess the issue is the game doesn't register you finished casting the first spell so when you dual cast it does a long cast instead of an instant, if that's the case then yeah it's dead, I thought they made it partly client side but not sure.

Ultimately only going to matter when a new raid is release/in ultimates, like currently you can easily outgear savage and it won't be a problem even if you clip and stuff.

• 1Like

Malkav

French Madman

You are in luck, if you can make do for now, the recently announced their plan to have an Oceania Datacenter, probably for early next year (I think goal was the first major patch of Endwalker).

• 1Like

Argarth

On the verandah
Dancer should be fine, it's a 2.5s GCD class, you do double weave a fair bit though so might be a problem even with the full GCD, but can probably get away with single weave if you tweak the opener and such. A lot of the time is spent using normal GCDs and you have a burst phase every now and then where you dump all ressources but it's not super intensive otherwise, it's a pretty relaxed class.

Classes you'd want to avoid are MNK and NIN(even after the changes), and probably MCH although there's a way to play that even with high ping I believe, just need to play a bit differently(and less efficiently as a result). SMN maybe too there's a lot of oGCDs on that class and they often bunch up or need to be used late in the GCD and stuff. RDM I guess the issue is the game doesn't register you finished casting the first spell so when you dual cast it does a long cast instead of an instant, if that's the case then yeah it's dead, I thought they made it partly client side but not sure.

Ultimately only going to matter when a new raid is release/in ultimates, like currently you can easily outgear savage and it won't be a problem even if you clip and stuff.
That's great info, thanks. Doubt I'll ever be playing on the bleeding edge, much more concerned about the class tripping over my ping, and feeling "off" to play. Can't stand that.

Argarth

On the verandah
You are in luck, if you can make do for now, the recently announced their plan to have an Oceania Datacenter, probably for early next year (I think goal was the first major patch of Endwalker).
Had no idea, that is fantastic news! Never thought they would ever pull the trigger on something like that. I remember like it was yesterday going from ~200ms ping to ~15ms when WoW opened their Oceanic servers. Felt a massive improvement in the overall "feel" of the game/engine, and not just in the combat side of things.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Had a closer look at this and couldn't help but chuckle:

Western MMO characters: Faggy men and bull dykes. Chainmail bikini armour removed as its "problematic" and "demeaning".

FF14: Literal Playboy bunnies dancing around in skimpy metallic lingerie armour, and men that make The Hulk look like a soyboy.

I think I'm going to have to download this fucker. :)

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
Had a closer look at this and couldn't help but chuckle:

Western MMO characters: Faggy men and bull dykes. Chainmail bikini armour removed as its "problematic" and "demeaning".

FF14: Literal Playboy bunnies dancing around in skimpy metallic lingerie armour, and men that make The Hulk look like a soyboy.

I think I'm going to have to download this fucker. :)

I'm having more fun playing an mmo than I can remember.

• 1Like

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ah, motherfuckers. Guess I'm going to have to resub.

One of my mates started up on Zodiark and he's nagging me like a bastard as well. Not even sure I can server transfer from Excalibur (US Legacy) to filthy Euro server, it used to be you rolled on Legacy you were stuck there.