Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Goonsquad Officer
I honestly don't think ive ever pressed the s key in any game.

Do you guys not use mouse look or something? This is clearly a setting for controllers to let them approximate kb/mouse.
it's used for later fights. so for example in one of the last dungeons in the last expansion there's this boss that puts out this complex grid of circle aoe's to avoid. you have to lace betwen them, while orbiting the boss in a circle, and be aware of markers for when lines will shoot in every direction. the legacy controls are helpful there because you can focus fully on dodging things while staying in melee range of the boss. as some one mentioned the true value is that if you are moving around the edge of a boss. every time you mash an attack your guy executes it no mater their facing.

so legacy kind of lets you zig zag like a lunatic to dodge, while staying in max melee range. and not worry with facing.

Though people advising you to do it forget that most folks don't even want to try it, till they see the need first hand, and you don't see that kind of thing till...uhh. i dunno, parts of coil or alexander. maybe even not till stormblood.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Don't you need to use legacy movement to shoot behind you? I have been using legacy for so long I forget what the other control mechanism is but I think I remember you can't run through a dungeon shooting at monsters chasing after you using the other control method. It would constantly change your running direction when trying to do it.. or maybe that was some other setting.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
I was anti-legacy movement as well until I discovered that not only can you run out faster with S, but that Legacy movement completely negates the need to be facing the NPC you want to hit with abilities.
If you are playing with legacy on, it basically just changes it so your backstep is full speed run. You ignore your character model and just do your rotation. You still spin the camera just as much to see what is going on, but now you can back up 1 foot out of an ae without touching the camera. Every game requires adaption to your muscle memory and this is one of the easier ones to adapt to. It's esp useful as a tank for positioning.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
If you are playing with legacy on, it basically just changes it so your backstep is full speed run. You ignore your character model and just do your rotation. You still spin the camera just as much to see what is going on, but now you can back up 1 foot out of an ae without touching the camera. Every game requires adaption to your muscle memory and this is one of the easier ones to adapt to. It's esp useful as a tank for positioning.

? What the heck are you talking about. Did you reply to the wrong person?

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
You'd think that, but every serious player uses legacy movement. It offers tangible benefits that cannot be ignored. Not needing to face NPCS to use skills on them is massive.

Ever had issues with facing or having your character move without your input when using overpower? that would never happen again.
No? Ive never noticed this issue using overpower. I am tab targeting a lot to grab fresh spawns and keep them all clumped together so the group can aoe them, i rarely have my actual target in front of me and overpower works just fine. Actually all of my skills work even if targets arent directly in front of me. I never tried to hit something standing behind me tho, everything seems to work on a frontal cone like 180 degrees?
so legacy kind of lets you zig zag like a lunatic to dodge, while staying in max melee range. and not worry with facing.

Though people advising you to do it forget that most folks don't even want to try it, till they see the need first hand, and you don't see that kind of thing till...uhh. i dunno, parts of coil or alexander. maybe even not till stormblood.
Have you ever played the secret world? Extremely complex rotating telegraphs with 0 room for misteps, still never once press the s key.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
No? Ive never noticed this issue using overpower. I am tab targeting a lot to grab fresh spawns and keep them all clumped together so the group can aoe them, i rarely have my actual target in front of me and overpower works just fine. Actually all of my skills work even if targets arent directly in front of me. I never tried to hit something standing behind me tho, everything seems to work on a frontal cone like 180 degrees?

Have you ever played the secret world? Extremely complex rotating telegraphs with 0 room for misteps, still never once press the s key.

the S key is irrelevant. It's being able to ignore facing that is the power of legacy movement. Try it out on a dummy. Face away from the dummy, and hit an ability on it with regular movement. Then try it with legacy. Then try running circles around the dummy, facing various directions with both. You'll see what I mean immediately.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Ok ill try it but if the only advantage is ignoring facing and there is an option you can check that ignores facing then why would i disassociate my camera and player movement when i could just click that option?

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Ok ill try it but if the only advantage is ignoring facing and there is an option you can check that ignores facing then why would i disassociate my camera and player movement when i could just click that option?

The check you have doesn't ignore facing. It auto-faces you. It turns your character automatically to face whatever you are targeting and uses the skill. This can really wreck you, because if you are running away from a boss using a mechanic, and try to greed a GCD on the way out, and you are slightly out of range, for example, it will move you forward and toward it despite you actively running away from it, likely getting you hit by that mechanic.

Legacy movement literally ignores facing entirely. Doesn't matter which way you are running. Doesn't matter which way you are facing. Your ability will always hit, and it will never try to hijack control of your character briefly to put you in range/facing of what you are trying to hit. It just always hits regardless.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
? What the heck are you talking about. Did you reply to the wrong person?
I was just emphasizing your point that the real feature is not having to face a particular direction (in bold) and that it doesn't really change THAT much otherwise.

Game must be in a mid-patch lull if we're arguing with someone who is pre-Heavensward with less than half of their kit about savage+ optimizations. Everything queueable is literally made to be able to be done with NPCs.

Chris

Potato del Grande
So how mechanically do you move backwards? What do you physically to achieve it?

Just curious because I have dual analogue sticks so none of this is an issue for me.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
The check you have doesn't ignore facing. It auto-faces you. It turns your character automatically to face whatever you are targeting and uses the skill. This can really wreck you, because if you are running away from a boss using a mechanic, and try to greed a GCD on the way out, and you are slightly out of range, for example, it will move you forward and toward it despite you actively running away from it, likely getting you hit by that mechanic.

Legacy movement literally ignores facing entirely. Doesn't matter which way you are running. Doesn't matter which way you are facing. Your ability will always hit, and it will never try to hijack control of your character briefly to put you in range/facing of what you are trying to hit. It just always hits regardless.
Ok help me out because i'm not seeing anything different between Standard Type and Legacy Type movement settings as far as autofacing or being able to ignore facing. Literally the only difference I am seeing is it changes what the S key does, from backing up slowly to turning your character around and running towards you.

Is there some other settings I need to change?

UPDATE: Are you sure you guys don't have this mixed up? cus my standard is working how you say legacy is supposed to work. I'm super confused right now.

UPDATE #2: I figured it out, you fuckers who don't like how Standard works, don't use mouselook. how the fuck do you play games like this? do you have 10 fingers on your left hand? how the fuck do you activate skills and utilize only WASD to move and not use your mouse to control the direction you are facing? what the fuck are you doing with your other hand? are you jerking it to the catgirls or what? It's either that or you move with WASD and you use your fucking mouse to click abilities on your hotbar. Until you post a pic of your left hand with 10 fingers on it, those are the only 2 options I see on how you can possibly use kb hotkeys while simultaneously using kb for WASD.

When it comes to attacking things my character behaves the exact same way with Standard and Legacy, until you add mouselook into the equation, where the game works how every other game works in Standard, which is the way you describe legacy should work. Legacy works in the way opposite that you describe.

In both systems:
If I uncheck "automatically face target when using an action" then I get an "out of range" error message when my target is behind me. (autoattack will still hit even at things behind me lol)
If I leave that checked and don't use mouse look, my character will automatically turn around and face my target and use the skill.

In Standard: If I use mouselook (which I always do at all times), then my skill will activate in the direction I am facing without facing me towards the target, and still hit my target behind me. This is how you guys describe legacy is supposed to work.

In legacy: Mouselook does nothing but move the camera, I still automatically turn to face the target when i use skills.

Both systems: When moving AND using mouselook they both behave the same way, you attack the direction your character is facing. the only difference is what the S key does.

In standard, without using mouselook but using WASD to move: Ok this is how you describe standard works vs Legacy. I get what you guys were saying now, but wtf you guys have problems. see update #2 above. I can't imagine a scenario where you would ever do this.

In all scenarios, other than what the S key does, Legacy works the same or worse than standard (such as any time you stop moving and try to use a skill on something you aren't facing), except if you are moving but not using mouselook, which is literally never. you would never do this. Standard Movement master race.
So how mechanically do you move backwards? What do you physically to achieve it?

Just curious because I have dual analogue sticks so none of this is an issue for me.
If you mean, how do I make my character back up, then the answer is the S key. My question is when do you ever really do this, in any game? maybe for like repositioning to take a screenshot or something, oops overran a thing you gotta click on the ground but your character model is in the way, back up 1 foot? I press S I guess. It's not something you really use much at all, and never in combat. I mean, how often do you find yourself walking backwards in real life? I cannot imagine a single scenario or telegraph where walking backwards is the quickest route out of an AOE. If aoes are as active as you guys are suggesting (i've watched the videos of end game things, doesn't look like anything too crazy compared to other games) then you are already always moving anyway, why would you stop and back up? just keep moving forward and mouse turn, it's literally instant, just as fast as changing your keybind to make the S key act like a controller stick which is all legacy does.

I honestly cannot recall any game where your character moves at full speed in reverse, you always move slower backing up, there's nothing new here. Why would you think you should be able to back up out of AOEs in this game if you cant in any other one?

Last edited:

Ehrgeix

Trakanon Raider
I use legacy (and have beaten everything / got good parses etc) but I have some similarly experienced buddies who prefer standard, the game is slow enough that I think in general it does not matter - if dodges or mechanics feel tight it’s either because you’re early in prog or doing something wrong. I think in standard it’s slightly easier to look away while still (full uptime) attacking the boss but you can do it in legacy too, just need to hold an extra key.

Re: Endwalker,
I think it’s easy to wrap up stories with new mechanics, time travel, and memory loss. But it’s just not satisfying for me and was a disappointment after shb. I hope 6.1 onwards is better.

localhost

Golden Knight of the Realm
Enwalker
We can't expect to have an Emet every expansion too, he was a large part of what made Shadowbringer so good

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Fashion Accessories are unlocked by a blue (and do what it says)
Collections, if I remember right, comes later (4.0?). You get a few items used regularly, and rather than being in your inventory, they go into a separate tab. I have mainly my compass for Aether Currents there.
Raid Finder unlocks when you open up your 24-man current content raids (older/easier raids are in Duty Finder).
Trust is unlocked with the first dungeon of Shadowbringers. It's when you play in dungeons alonside the other story characters.
Never used Duty Recorder, but you can record your dungeon runs, and rewatch them later.
Aether Currents unlock flying in zones after ARR, so you'll get it when you step into your first 3.0 zone.
Shared FATE is a mechanic for vendors in Shadowbringers.
Crafting/Gathering/Fishing are linked to the appropriate professions, yes.
PvP Team is when you unlock PvP.
Linkshells are private chat channels for organization outside of your Free Company.
Ok thank you for the list bro I appreciate it, seems most of these options unlock later on. You say Fashion Accessories unlocked by a blue quest, but I can't find this quest anywhere. I searched for any quest with the word fashion in it or that unlocks fashion and nada. I'm not too worried about this one tbh but it would be nice to have it unlocked.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Ok help me out because i'm not seeing anything different between Standard Type and Legacy Type movement settings as far as autofacing or being able to ignore facing.

The main difference for me is as I mentioned earlier -> when you are running with monsters following you in a dungeon and you are using ranged attacks on the monsters behind you. This is something I am doing every day pulling dungeons as a tank. With legacy your movement is tied to the camera so when your character turns around to shoot it doesn't affect your movement at all, you keep running through the dungeon as intended. With classic it can stuff your movement up because your character turns around to shoot, and if the monster is out of range your character stays facing backwards and you start running backwards. Even with monsters in range I noticed this happens occasionally too but its pretty inconsistent.

localhost

Golden Knight of the Realm
Ok thank you for the list bro I appreciate it, seems most of these options unlock later on. You say Fashion Accessories unlocked by a blue quest, but I can't find this quest anywhere. I searched for any quest with the word fashion in it or that unlocks fashion and nada. I'm not too worried about this one tbh but it would be nice to have it unlocked.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I think I mixed that with the stylist (or whatever) that you need to unlock so you can get a personal haircut in your sleeping room.

Here's a list of fashions, and one you have one, you can apply its effect using the menu:

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
If you mean, how do I make my character back up, then the answer is the S key. My question is when do you ever really do this, in any game? maybe for like repositioning to take a screenshot or something, oops overran a thing you gotta click on the ground but your character model is in the way, back up 1 foot? I press S I guess. It's not something you really use much at all, and never in combat. I mean, how often do you find yourself walking backwards in real life? I cannot imagine a single scenario or telegraph where walking backwards is the quickest route out of an AOE. If aoes are as active as you guys are suggesting (i've watched the videos of end game things, doesn't look like anything too crazy compared to other games) then you are already always moving anyway, why would you stop and back up? just keep moving forward and mouse turn, it's literally instant, just as fast as changing your keybind to make the S key act like a controller stick which is all legacy does.

I honestly cannot recall any game where your character moves at full speed in reverse, you always move slower backing up, there's nothing new here. Why would you think you should be able to back up out of AOEs in this game if you cant in any other one?
I'm just warning you that backing up and running towards the camera is going to be the fastest way out of an aoe sometimes, and spinning your camera 180 with the mouse (or spin 90 and strafe left/right) is going to slow you down.

The entire arena is going to end up being covered in AoE in some fights except one small safespot.