Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Post arr pre hs. I spent most of yesterday going back and doing all the blue quests and hard trials for the relic weapon, think im like 20 quests in out of 82 until i get to hs
What part of the post-arr/pre-hs content though? Because it actually gets good before heavensward.

The relic quest should likely be done at max level, but if you're enjoying it that's cool. You should just buy the token weapons and equipment for you level till then.

Sylas

<Gold Donor>
180 degrees?

To be fair I just got in the zone of unlocking content with blue quests, this was one of them. I had to unlock hard mode dungeons and trials to continue msq/earn the token things to buy gear, and i had to level up my gc so i can sell my unused gear so i had to do fates anyway. So far the relic weapon hasnt had me doing anything i wasn't already doing anyway.

Sylas

<Gold Donor>
What part of the post-arr/pre-hs content though? Because it actually gets good before heavensward.

The relic quest should likely be done at max level, but if you're enjoying it that's cool. You should just buy the token weapons and equipment for you level till then.
Im about to fight leviathan i guess. I logged off with the trial as the next step of the quest

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sylas

<Gold Donor>
yo why the fuck did nobody show me this video:

AMOD please add this to the first post.

Half my complaints about this game (ok well maybe not half) are covered by settings. like #1 pet peeve other than how slow I move is that tab targetting is retarded as fuck in this game, what the fuck does it just go alphabetical down the list? it certainly has nothing to do with how close they are to me or if they are even aggro'd on me. but turns out its just a setting that some idiot decided the default setting should be pants on head retarded instead of "normal"

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
its just a setting that some idiot decided the default setting should be pants on head retarded instead of "normal"
It's left->right->left, and it makes more sense with a controller. Yes, FFXIV is built to be played on consoles. While PC players aren't second grade citizens, the defaults clearly cater to consoles.

I guess PC players are more used to fiddle with settings than console players, so it's easier to teach them.

Sylas

<Gold Donor>
hrm.png

Ok some of these are obvious, I assume I'd unlock the various crafter logs by unlocking those crafting classes, etc but is there anything else of these greyed out options that are unlocked by blue+ quests, ones that i'm missing?

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
View attachment 398509
Ok some of these are obvious, I assume I'd unlock the various crafter logs by unlocking those crafting classes, etc but is there anything else of these greyed out options that are unlocked by blue+ quests, ones that i'm missing?
Fashion Accessories are unlocked by a blue (and do what it says)
Collections, if I remember right, comes later (4.0?). You get a few items used regularly, and rather than being in your inventory, they go into a separate tab. I have mainly my compass for Aether Currents there.
Raid Finder unlocks when you open up your 24-man current content raids (older/easier raids are in Duty Finder).
Trust is unlocked with the first dungeon of Shadowbringers. It's when you play in dungeons alonside the other story characters.
Never used Duty Recorder, but you can record your dungeon runs, and rewatch them later.
Aether Currents unlock flying in zones after ARR, so you'll get it when you step into your first 3.0 zone.
Shared FATE is a mechanic for vendors in Shadowbringers.
Crafting/Gathering/Fishing are linked to the appropriate professions, yes.
PvP Team is when you unlock PvP.
Linkshells are private chat channels for organization outside of your Free Company.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Linkshells are private chat channels for organization outside of your Free Company.

I never understood this design decision. Linkshells were basically guilds in FFXI and then FFXIV comes along and they make LS's chat channels and Free Companies guilds.

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor

Half my complaints about this game (ok well maybe not half) are covered by settings. like #1 pet peeve other than how slow I move is that tab targetting is retarded as fuck in this game, what the fuck does it just go alphabetical down the list? it certainly has nothing to do with how close they are to me or if they are even aggro'd on me. but turns out its just a setting that some idiot decided the default setting should be pants on head retarded instead of "normal"

Oh if you're not aware you can edit your entire UI to pretty much look like whatever you wanted and if you ever wanted to do a wow-style grid for mouseover healing/mouseover targetting, you can do that with macros.

In fact there are a few useful QoL things done through macros that I've noticed few people use outside crafting, but the custom UI is a must if you're planning to play reactive jobs or jobs with complicated rotations.

If you're not quitting the game soon, you'll probably need to get acquainted with modifying your UI.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Collections, if I remember right, comes later (4.0?)
I think the compass for aether currents in Heavensward has been moved to collections, so you get the first collection in 3.0.

I never understood this design decision. Linkshells were basically guilds in FFXI and then FFXIV comes along and they make LS's chat channels and Free Companies guilds.
Most likely because anyone coming from other MMOs is used to the term "guild", and "free company" is closer to that than "linkshell". Also FFXIV wanted to introduce "guild perks" like Cataclysm-era WoW. That didn't make sense with just a shell you got from a street vendor.

When it comes to ingame mechanics, FF likes to do it with in-world lore building. "Let expanse contract, eon become instant," anyone?

Goonsquad Officer
I think the compass for aether currents in Heavensward has been moved to collections, so you get the first collection in 3.0.

Most likely because anyone coming from other MMOs is used to the term "guild", and "free company" is closer to that than "linkshell". Also FFXIV wanted to introduce "guild perks" like Cataclysm-era WoW. That didn't make sense with just a shell you got from a street vendor.

When it comes to ingame mechanics, FF likes to do it with in-world lore building. "Let expanse contract, eon become instant," anyone?
After playing lost ark im super thankful for the ff14 English translation teams effort to give a coherent linguistic style

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Chris

Potato del Grande

You got legacy movement turned on?

What does the backwards (D) key do for you? Slow walk backwards or 180 turn and normal run?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
After playing lost ark im super thankful for the ff14 English translation teams effort to give a coherent linguistic style
One interesting thing about the Amazon writing is, even though they're pretty SJW leaning with the black NPCs being added and the starting clothes being less revealing, they didn't bother using "they" as the pronoun for cutscenes, even though it makes a lot of sense seeing as like over half the pop is going to be playing female chars. It's all "he he he" which I found funny, you'd think they would have been on top of that.

That said it's not so bad, it was way worse in beta but now for the most part it's well translated, especially as far as korean games go. There's still some issues like text being too long for the boxes and some very dubious translations/tooltips that say things they shouldn't.

Chris

Potato del Grande
FF14 uses "man" a lot for "people" in the biblical sense, so the translators don't seem to give any shits about SJWs.

Goonsquad Officer
One interesting thing about the Amazon writing is, even though they're pretty SJW leaning with the black NPCs being added and the starting clothes being less revealing, they didn't bother using "they" as the pronoun for cutscenes, even though it makes a lot of sense seeing as like over half the pop is going to be playing female chars. It's all "he he he" which I found funny, you'd think they would have been on top of that.

That said it's not so bad, it was way worse in beta but now for the most part it's well translated, especially as far as korean games go. There's still some issues like text being too long for the boxes and some very dubious translations/tooltips that say things they shouldn't.
they did include gender confused timmy though!

the dialogue is super wooden and no context is added to statements. so they just say things like "the tablet is missing a part. no one knows where it is. with the tablet we could fight the demons. i wonder where it is". (spoilers, it's like a mile down the road. no one thought to look in the past few hundred years). early on, no one reads like they're a peasant in a world. they read like type written literal translations with no euphemism. FF14 at least gives some flair early on even if the quests are sloggy and samey. the npc's have a lot of style to how they talk. the documentary where koji talked a bout adding slang and being consistant really hits home when i contrast the two.

also one sentance per click is maddening. i would kill for lost ark text in paragraph form.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Everytime I look at Lost Ark gameplay it's some shitty NPC dialogue. Irony I know for anyone playing ARR. Genshin has a lot of that shit too.

These companies really need to chill on the filler dialouge.