Gamestop enters the fray!

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
It's just what they train their staff to do every single fucking time. You know. He knows. But the list says offer "x plan" to every customer and the guy doesn't give a shit, just as long as he doesn't get yelled at by his boss.
Does it say in the GSA sales tactic of Gamestop to annoy the fuck out of the customer until they leave in disgust and never return? If it says ask 4 times to see if I want to preorder a game in which I already said no for the first 3, I would suggest a new handbook.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Does it say in the GSA sales tactic of Gamestop to annoy the fuck out of the customer until they leave in disgust and never return? If it says ask 4 times to see if I want to preorder a game in which I already said no for the first 3, I would suggest a new handbook.
While i wholey agree, i can see times when things like disc replacement could be useful. I was in gamestop preordering my Destiny LE when a lady was yelling at the guy at the register for her child breaking a game a day after purchasing, and hes like "well did you get the protection plan?" and she was like "fuck no i didnt pay extra for that shit"...He knew after that she was going to be a problem regardless, but had she had the plan it would be np.

Those upsells arent for everyone but they are useful for the parents who let their kids use games as a frisbee...ie stupid ones. Im against upselling but ive also had its methods ironed into me by ATT and BBcorp so i know those guys at the registers are hating it every bit as much as the customers. Its not going to go away, if anything it will get worse and the tactics used to implement such things will become shady.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
If kids are wrecking games, the only protection plan they need is from a swift beating.

As for groceries, the delivery thing does kick ass if you need it. ShopRite around here is making a killing off that, I just wish the seniors would use it more so they wouldn't make the parking lot a fucking hazard zone. I'm not sure if you can use coupons though, which is something I like to take advantage of.

sebur

Bronze Squire
They will once they realize they are losing customers hands over fists. It's fine to ask once. It's not fine to harp on it until you want to throat punch the cashier for asking for the 5th time, or trying BS tactics to sell it. Doesn't matter to me. They are only hurting themselves, and I just take my business to Steam/Amazon.
I was a supervisor for best buy before I got fed up with all the bullshit and I can attest to this being true. They are told to "over come objections" and not just take no. Their job actually depends on it as it is one of the few metrics they are measured on, especially at the front lanes. I personally hated it myself but it made us money and I actually fired a few people over not doing it.

Wrathbane

Golden Knight of the Realm
I work as a manager for a GameStop and can definitely confirm that all that annoying shit is most definitely in the handbook now. There's literally a 6 page section on "Overcoming Customer Resistance". That being said, I've pretty much given up on giving a fuck about it. I'll ask once for each thing as it is actually a job requirement, but fuck pestering you for that shit. No means no dude. And if you end up coming back to my store I'll remember you and wont even bother asking again. I've trained my staff to do the same. We've even begun to steal customers from the other 6 locations that are literally within 5 miles of mine, and now our sales are going up because people are tired of being treated like walking dollar signs.

But yeah, scumbag corporation is scumbag corporation. Stop spending your money here if there's literally anywhere else that you can pick stuff up from.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Thats the only thing I never understood about Gamestop. What the fuck is the point of having so many stores so close together? Wouldnt it just be more profitable to have a bigger store in a prime location? The TOWN to the south of me has 5 game stops. The city to the north of me has 9, maybe more. I know of at least 12 in the bigger city to the west of me. Why? Seems like the biggest waste of money ever. I know of a spot where game stop is on one side of the road in a small shopping center with Panera bread and if you walk across the four lane road into a big shopping center, one is right next to Target and Dicks Sporting Goods. It is the dumbest shit ever to me and thats not the only location where two gamestops are within a short sprint of each other.

DLC packages from Gamestop and other shit have been around for ages. Not sure whats new here. Last game I bought from Gamestop because I wanted the DLC shit was Darksiders 2. Had armors, swords, shit like that. Stuff like that, that has no affect on the game, is completely fine with me.

That example about the Printer is almost verbatim of what I dealt with at Best Buy. I couldnt get my wireless all in one printer to fucking work right and needed shit that day. So I went to best buy, bought a 45 dollar printer and was asked if I wanted to put a 30 dollar protection plan on it. I looked at the girl sideways and asked her if she really thought it was necessary on a 45 dollar printer. She humbly looked down and didnt say a thing else to me. I feel sorry for people that have to, per job rules, ask that dumb shit.

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
Thats the only thing I never understood about Gamestop. What the fuck is the point of having so many stores so close together? Wouldnt it just be more profitable to have a bigger store in a prime location? The TOWN to the south of me has 5 game stops. The city to the north of me has 9, maybe more. I know of at least 12 in the bigger city to the west of me. Why? Seems like the biggest waste of money ever. I know of a spot where game stop is on one side of the road in a small shopping center with Panera bread and if you walk across the four lane road into a big shopping center, one is right next to Target and Dicks Sporting Goods. It is the dumbest shit ever to me and thats not the only location where two gamestops are within a short sprint of each other.

DLC packages from Gamestop and other shit have been around for ages. Not sure whats new here. Last game I bought from Gamestop because I wanted the DLC shit was Darksiders 2. Had armors, swords, shit like that. Stuff like that, that has no affect on the game, is completely fine with me.

That example about the Printer is almost verbatim of what I dealt with at Best Buy. I couldnt get my wireless all in one printer to fucking work right and needed shit that day. So I went to best buy, bought a 45 dollar printer and was asked if I wanted to put a 30 dollar protection plan on it. I looked at the girl sideways and asked her if she really thought it was necessary on a 45 dollar printer. She humbly looked down and didnt say a thing else to me. I feel sorry for people that have to, per job rules, ask that dumb shit.
There used to be 4 GameStops within a block of each other around here. Now there are two (literally one upstairs in a mall, the other downstairs)

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
Wrathbane you are so full of shit. So you're saying the fact your entire scorecard is based around PowerUP Subs and Preorder's, and maybe 30% trade, you are trying to say YOU DONT tell your staff to harass people? You are so full of fucking shit, I was a DM in one of the lower regions, who is your Regional? I bet I can get your store running right under a new manager asap, and now that I happen to see you are literally trashing your company and I have your IP address, enjoy a call from HR. Have some fucking pride in what you do, pussy.

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
I'd also like to see the Six Page Handbook about harassing customers, because the handbook is 52 pages long and none of that is in there.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
The gamestop i frequent had this super cool manager who didnt try to upsell and he was just a really casual guy who was into games...one day i came in and they told me he was replaced along with all of his staff but one person. Ever since then the upsellbots have taken over and will milk you for all your worth!

wtf just happened
Shit got real!...weird

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
There was a gamestop near me where this dude kept trying to sell my The Matrix Online and the strategy guide on every time I went there because he knew I liked MMOs. I appreciated that he knew what I liked (I was frequent, before Amazon), but everytime he talked to me he would fart and it smelled awful. I labelled him as "fart guy" and stopped shopping at that Gamestop and went to the other one in town.

Also wtf just happened. Did that guy really claim he had the dudes IP and was going to HR with it? Is this some CSI:NY shit?

spronk

FPS noob
i buy games on amazon or bestbuy (20% discount with GCU) and then trade them into gamestop or best buy and buy steam or nintendo eShop cards with the money, I don't think I've ever actually bought a real game at gamestop

oh and gamestop has a promo running right now, 50% bonus on traded in games and they are handing out coupons for end of the month on used games. their latest iOS app also shows trade in values for all games so you can look it up at home, the android version is gonna be updated end of the month

let the cripple gamestop manager fight begin

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Wrathbane you are so full of shit. So you're saying the fact your entire scorecard is based around PowerUP Subs and Preorder's, and maybe 30% trade, you are trying to say YOU DONT tell your staff to harass people? You are so full of fucking shit, I was a DM in one of the lower regions, who is your Regional? I bet I can get your store running right under a new manager asap, and now that I happen to see you are literally trashing your company and I have your IP address, enjoy a call from HR. Have some fucking pride in what you do, pussy.
You don't have his IP.

Weirdo.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
How do you have his IP? Did you backtrace him!? Are you with the cyber police?