General Gaming News and Discussion

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
So I’ve been off and on retro gaming lately. And I’ve slowly realized I don’t really care for the NES library strangely. I’ve got a bunch of the classic PS1 and PS2 games many I never played. Symphony of the Night, the Metal Gears, etc. Do I hunt down a PS2 slim or just say fuck it and emulate this shit? These fucking things are like $130 now. I had one and my ex wife took it. Of course she sold the fucker years ago.

As I look over the PS3 library I felt it was just trash.

I’ve been trying to play key games from old systems I missed.
Im Bad Teddy Bear GIF

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
It was a dark time then.

There is a PS4 remaster of symphony combined with an older school Rhombus of Retardation or something. I played that on my PS5 and it was no different than the PS1 version so for this game I’d suggest this route if you have a 4/5.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Janx

<Silver Donator>
There is a PS4 remaster of symphony combined with an older school Rhombus of Retardation or something. I played that on my PS5 and it was no different than the PS1 version so for this game I’d suggest this route if you have a 4/5.
Still annoys me that they've brought a lot of the other 2d Castlevania games to various PC platforms but not SOTN ;(

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Nintendo didn't really have any quality control during the NES era which is why the library is full of so much utter trash, they would let basically anyone publish a Nintendo game as long as they got their cut.

• 1Like

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I did build a raspberry pi and have used composites to hook up to a CRT monitor. I bet that will play PS1 fine. Maybe not ps2

Siliconemelons

I have a PS2 someone at work unearthed and gave us.. I dont think it has all its connections for AV or controller though.

I have a backwards compatible big boy ps3

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I have a PS2 someone at work unearthed and gave us.. I dont think it has all its connections for AV or controller though.

I have a backwards compatible big boy ps3
I wish I had an old ps3 I could put linux on. I've got one of the newer slims.

I've always wanted to play around with the spu stuff.

Siliconemelons

I wish I had an old ps3 I could put linux on. I've got one of the newer slims.

I've always wanted to play around with the spu stuff.

Mine has the hardware ps2, but was fully up to date - so I think it is past where you can do the stuff to get linux on it.. I vaguely remember that was being a think when I got it... it was my primary system, so I never wanted to bother with hacking it, and it did the ps2 stuff natively so I was happy.

• 1Like

Talos

SoTN is great, starts off with Dracula quoting scripture.

A wing of the castle is a church, you should play it an diss on the iconography
Sounds cool. I see a bunch of the other games are on Steam but not symphony of the night? What's the deal with that?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Why is there no driving version of MSFS where they use mapping data to make a copy of the real surely and you can do various driving sim games in it?

Talos

Big Phoenix Big Phoenix I've been reading Castlevania lore and in honor of the Belmont clan I will reveal who it was. No joke. Also I was wrong about the type of show. It was tech not video game review.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Big Phoenix Big Phoenix I've been reading Castlevania lore and in honor of the Belmont clan I will reveal who it was. No joke. Also I was wrong about the type of show. It was tech not video game review.

At least I know I wasnt the only geek. I'd let ZDTV play in the background and I'd always catch myself watching this dipshits stuff. I'm sure I picked up some stuff from him. But with the inspiration and motivation that Hackers gave me as a kid, and this shit - I was a computer destroying machine. Still remember the ass whippin' I got for taking our Gateway apart.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Penance

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
At least I know I wasnt the only geek. I'd let ZDTV play in the background and I'd always catch myself watching this dipshits stuff. I'm sure I picked up some stuff from him. But with the inspiration and motivation that Hackers gave me as a kid, and this shit - I was a computer destroying machine. Still remember the ass whippin' I got for taking our Gateway apart.

Love Leo. I still listen to his TWIT podcasts, especially security now with Steve Gibson.

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Before he went full-on tech Leo was on the Bay Area sports radio station. I called in to talk to him when I was like 10 years old and he was taking calls on who was going to win the Bay Bridge series (A's vs. Giants WS in 89), just a week or two before the big quake happened prior to game 3. Still listen to some of his podcasts too.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Guessing Leo will work till he dies now after his crash deal. His sponsors of his podcast found out the stats were totally fake. I think I read he was pushing that a majority had an advanced degree and made much more than $100k a year and such. Then of course his new wife didn't pay the taxes or paid the wrong amount. That's when his podcast stopped suddenly paying guest to appear weekly. I haven't heard anything about him in a long time but there was a deal shortly after it happened that he was traveling beyond first class all over the world with his new wife and then overnight all that went away.

There was a website devoted to all the "crazy" things that went wrong all at once. I'll have to look and see if it's still around.

Edit - didn't see it but one article in 2022 that he stepped down.

From one time boasting about having 14 million in annual sales, and owning 25% of all podcast revenue, Leo Laporte recently acknowledged that TWiT is screwed because sponsors now want proof that there are actual listeners, i.e. analytics that can’t be faked.

• 1Double Worf