General Gaming News and Discussion

Heian

Molten Core Raider
Am I the only one here that had a Colecovision? I remember loving the shit out of it.
I had one. Think was a gift. I had the Atari also. I knew someone that had a commodore with tapes. I only saw one person that owned an atari Jaguar.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I had one. Think was a gift. I had the Atari also. I knew someone that had a commodore with tapes. I only saw one person that owned an atari Jaguar.
Thinking of all the systems my family had it was Pong, Atari, Intellivision and Colecovision. Then I have personally owned a Commodore 64, Sega Dreamcast, NES, SNES, Nintendo 64, and a PS 2. After that point I was mainly a PC guy. I got a PS3, which I really only played Guitar Hero on, and a PS4 which I ended up barely touching. I also bought a Nintendo Switch but ended up giving it to my nephew after a couple months. I have no desire to buy any current consoles or steam decks. The only handheld I have is a Miyoo mini plus emulator.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah I only ever had an NES and a handful of games for it until my mid to late teens when we finally got a playstation. Far from the first time I've told the story but I played Top Gun so fucking much that I eventually learned how to consistently land on the end of level aircraft carrier blind, which was the only way to progress because the in-game prompts (too slow, too fast, etc) were completely wrong and you would crash every single time if you followed them. I would guess that only a handful of people ever beat that game before the internet.
Rentals really drove the "git gud" of our day. "You've got two days, start the clock!" It was the ultimate shame to take something back unbeaten.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Nija

<Silver Donator>
My dad was a programmer. I got a 386 with Wing Commander 2, right around the release of that. CH flightstick, the metal bottom one. We went all the way to Tulsa to buy the machine. Then he taught me how to pirate games, and we took turns with a coworkers family buying / copying disks, copying manuals for license checks and returning them. Police quests, space quests, civ, D&D, everything under the sun. I had a NES but the younger siblings played that. I was PC gaming. A neighbor had a Genesis, so they’d come over for Nintendo, we’d go over there for Genesis. Friends a few blocks away had PCs. We had a good season of Hardball 3 one summer, moving a save file around by bicycle. We’d play like 20 games and pass it along.

• 2Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
all i learned is that you motherfuckers who claim to have grown up poor did not, in fact, grow up poor.

Game systems were hand me downs from cousins. Got the Atari 2600 in the mid 80's, NES around 90 and the SNES in 94 because an uncle won some money gambling. I remember the FF3 purchase because I was flush with Christmas and birthday money (by my standards at the time) and still had to borrow $30 from an older friend to afford it.

Most of my "new" games came from trading in a bunch of old games at a kiosk at the local mall to get something different.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
My dad was a programmer. I got a 386 with Wing Commander 2, right around the release of that. CH flightstick, the metal bottom one. We went all the way to Tulsa to buy the machine. Then he taught me how to pirate games, and we took turns with a coworkers family buying / copying disks, copying manuals for license checks and returning them. Police quests, space quests, civ, D&D, everything under the sun. I had a NES but the younger siblings played that. I was PC gaming. A neighbor had a Genesis, so they’d come over for Nintendo, we’d go over there for Genesis. Friends a few blocks away had PCs. We had a good season of Hardball 3 one summer, moving a save file around by bicycle. We’d play like 20 games and pass it along.

My man. When I was a teenager and Broodwar and such came out. For whatever reason we needed more keys. We'd just go to Walmart open the thing up and the key was directly on the outside of the CD case. Just write it down and close the box.

We did this for quite a few games back in the day. At some point keys made their way to inside the wrapped up CD case and we felt a little worse opening that so we didn't do it as much.

• 2Worf

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
j8gm15kyg0nd1.jpg

• 3Worf

Mahes

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I remember on the 2600 the favorites were pitfall, frogger, spider man and centipede. We played others but those were like the mainstays.
Now add Yar's Revenge and Astroids. Phoenix was descent.

I had the Intellivision. Actually I think my parents still have the system with the games.

This was hands down one of the best games of the time.

1725631730313.jpeg

I actually owned the 3DO Game system. It was damn good for its time. It had some shitty games but it also had some really good ones.

1725631694448.jpeg

• 2Like

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I am going to have to see if my 7800 works still. We tossed pong recently. I opened it and it was highly corroded.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I grew up with a Commodore 64. For a while, the only games I would get were the ones I typed in from 6 pages of pure machine code from COMPUTE magazine(below).

My grandmother was the only non-poors, she would be the peripheral and game buyer so when a salesman talked her out of the 1541 Disk Drive because it was 'just for word processing', it was the first time I thought about murder as a child :p

Saving up as a kid for a Genesis definitely taught me to respect money a lot.

machine-code.jpg

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I grew up with a Commodore 64. For a while, the only games I would get were the ones I typed in from 6 pages of pure machine code from COMPUTE magazine(below).

My grandmother was the only non-poors, she would be the peripheral and game buyer so when a salesman talked her out of the 1541 Disk Drive because it was 'just for word processing', it was the first time I thought about murder as a child :p

Saving up as a kid for a Genesis definitely taught me to respect money a lot.

machine-code.jpg
Somewhat similar story where I was begging my grandfather for an IBM 286 and the asshole that he talked to at whatever store he went to talked him into a Commodore 64.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Salesmen just tried to sell you slow moving shit. I remember as a kid the salesman told my uncle that 100k of RAM is all you would ever need when he sold him on an IBM PC Jr. I'm pretty sure that PC was already obsolete by the time he left the store with it

• 1Like

Gator

Trakanon Raider
I don't remember how I ended up with the systems I had but I had a Nes and a Sega Genesis as a kid. Then around middle school PS1 came out and being told we could not afford that but eventually the family ended up getting me one. I think several family members just pooled their money together for it. I remember going to Toys-R-Us and looking at the wall of video game box art and basing my decisions on what looked coolest.

My dad's friends would also give him old PC games and he ended up getting a PC to play them which led me down the path of PC gaming. He had some dos system that played a game which had two gorillas throwing bananas at each other over a city. You had to type in coordinates to try and hit each other while blowing up the buildings. As a kid, I thought that was so cool. Later on, Air Warrior, The Dig, Tribes, Heroes of Might and Magic, and Diablo, are some fond memories from early PC gaming.

• 1Like

bolok

Trakanon Raider
I don't remember how I ended up with the systems I had but I had a Nes and a Sega Genesis as a kid. Then around middle school PS1 came out and being told we could not afford that but eventually the family ended up getting me one. I think several family members just pooled their money together for it. I remember going to Toys-R-Us and looking at the wall of video game box art and basing my decisions on what looked coolest.

My dad's friends would also give him old PC games and he ended up getting a PC to play them which led me down the path of PC gaming. He had some dos system that played a game which had two gorillas throwing bananas at each other over a city. You had to type in coordinates to try and hit each other while blowing up the buildings. As a kid, I thought that was so cool. Later on, Air Warrior, The Dig, Tribes, Heroes of Might and Magic, and Diablo, are some fond memories from early PC gaming.
Sounds like gorilla.bas GORILLA.BAS: How to Play the Secret MS-DOS Game From Your Childhood

That was like the basic bitch version of scorched earth. Was fun though.

• 2Like

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Scorched Earth was so fun, although when we played you needed to ban like half the weapons (super napalm, deaths heads, etc)

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Weird Boner

Rabbit_Games

Trakanon Raider
My High School had a computer class with both an IBM Clone and Commodore 64 because no-one knew which one would take off yet. I had to learn both versions of BASIC. heh
Oh, and our Newpaper/Year Book class used an APPLE II. pfft!