Ghost in the Shell (2017)

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Lol I found that movie slightly better than most. RZA did a pretty good job for not being a director

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
fat russell crowe pawing asian chicks who were clearly repulsed by his touch was the best

fortunately Russell dropped 52 lbs after that movie

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Coincidentally, RZA directed an episode or two of Iron Fist on Netflix as well.

Didn't bother seeing this, but glad I passed. Stand Alone Complex is the best story in that franchise anyhow.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
why was dr chick (julliet binoche) so bad? it's like she forgot how to act and she was an extra that had to read lines, she was so horrible.

Only good action scene was the Geisha one, at best, the rest suck. I found Kuze pretty good and Beat Takeshi was a waste... especially since it seemed they wanted him to talk, more than act, which is what he's best at, acting w/ limited dialogue.

white washing? i didn't care for it, but it's not like they're gonna all of a sudden find a busty good looking jap chick that can also act and do action scenes...

mind you, i don't believe scarjo can act or do action scenes well, she's actually pretty horrible at action, but she speaks English and she's got boobs, so i guess?

6/10, only matinee, if you're really bored.

Szlia

I think this movie mostly suffers from being an adaptation. The main problem being that the changes made to the plot and world shift the themes toward something that is a lot less interesting. Namely, it goes from a universal questioning about the nature of identity and the very poetic dawn of a new era to an individual quest for identity along with the mundane "evil big business plot" and "dangerous science" tropes. There are some moments of brilliance unique to this version though, like the surprisingly moving scenes with the mother or the jump cuts in Kuze's big speech scene that reinforce the 'unnatural' aspect of the character.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Movie tanked because it had bad reviews because it failed the source material, anime is not mainstream enough to make money for a film like this on its own. Whitewashing doesn't apply to anime, Japanese don't give a shit and the characters look ambiguously white anyway.

It was no Dragon Ball Evolution, they did try, it was ruined in the same way Return of the King was, with unnecessary changes.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Movie tanked because it had bad reviews because it failed the source material, anime is not mainstream enough to make money for a film like this on its own. Whitewashing doesn't apply to anime, Japanese don't give a shit and the characters look ambiguously white anyway.

It was no Dragon Ball Evolution, they did try, it was ruined in the same way Return of the King was, with unnecessary changes.
How was Return of the King ruined?

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
A lot of the same observations in this thread were echoed on Collider Heroes this past week when they dove into the movie and the implications for adapting anime to live-action moving forward (vid starts at the relevant point).

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
How was Return of the King ruined?
Might be referring to the differences between the book and the movie. It's been a while since I read it but I think the final battle at the Black Gate and how Aragorn received Anduril were changed.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Everyone in Minas Tirith dying then green ghosts clearing the city.

Shelob plot twist for end of Two Towers happening half a film late.

So many endings!
wait that gay deux ex ghost shit didn't happen in the book? why would they add that. was completely out of place in the movie.

Chris

Potato del Grande
wait that gay deux ex ghost shit didn't happen in the book? why would they add that. was completely out of place in the movie.

Kinda. The ghosts clear the Minas Tirith docks of pirates allowing Aragorn to bring in living reinforcements from south gondor who were left to defend against the pirates. The reinforcements flank the siege and help win the day with the riders of rohan.

The orcs never wipe out the entire city and get to the final gate, they are only part way up.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
The Witch King entering the city was handled differently as well. The animated TV movie from the 80's was pretty faithful to the book.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah my biggest complaint about movie GITS is that there is no real philosophical core. Are you still you if you get put into a new body? Whats the difference between sentience and programming? How much can you trust your memories? What level of intelligence is ok to "enslave" (toaster vs robot vs AI vs human)? Ultimately, what does it mean to be human?

GITS really didn't have any of that, as szilia said it basically just asked "yo... is it cool to kill people and then experiment on them?" uhhh... no

still, i'd reiterate, for any sci fi fan the visual display of 2029 Tokyo / Hong Kong (or whatever year and city it is) is pretty goddamn amazing to watch about half the time. Half the time you can tell they ran out of money and just show it as sewer-y urban city.

I still enjoyed it enough that I'll definitely rewatch at home.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I give this 5.5/10. It feels like half the plot of the movie was replaced with random butchered scenes from the show.

• 2Like

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
I would rate this 7/10. This movie was thoroughly enjoyable from second half when the explanations start to take shape. First half was boring as fuck.

It was very close to high 8-9 but it felt short from epic legend status.

It har moments of anime esque placements like when major and skeleton guy was laying together after killing that tank.

I mean as far as i am concerned the movie exceeded my expectations by far. Did not go into a lot of explaning shit like animes do.

I was a bit puzzled by "you are not defined by your past but your actions" but the entire fucking movie was uncovering who you were, finding out the truth, and finding peace with who you are at the present.

It was a completely fucking dumb and contradictory statement and i left the theatre slightly baffled.

I never watched the anime and this movie makes me want to watch it.

But i think the most funniest fucking part about the entire movie surrounding the "white actor playing the major omdfjidjd racist cultural appropriations" is obviously overplayed since we learn about the truth in the movie.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
It stole bits from the first movie and Stand Alone 2nd Gig. See if you can find the Stand Alone Complex movies. They took the two 25-26 episode series and condensed them into 2 hour movies.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
But i think the most funniest fucking part about the entire movie surrounding the "white actor playing the major omdfjidjd racist cultural appropriations" is obviously overplayed since we learn about the truth in the movie.
actually, The Media Action Network for Asian Americans Society, got ultra mad when the shamalangadingdong, "she was asian this whole time" got revealed, so she just shoulda been asian
Asian American group slams "Ghost in the Shell," Scarlett Johansson - CBS News