Ghost in the Shell (2017)

woot!

Trakanon Raider
Ok, just came back from the theater.
How do I put this ?
If I had to do an analogy, I'd say this movie is to the original what would happen if Mc Donalds tried to make sushi.

Story wise, the movie is both a dumbed down version and has major plot changes (it's about the same magnitude of difference as between the book "I am legend" and the ending of the movie that shares the same name. If you don't know what I mean, and are a fan of GITS, I just crushed your hopes ; and fucking hard that is).

Visually, when I thought about GITS (1995 version, which I loved), I picture something aesthetically pleasing.
For the live action movie, aside from the restaurant scene which looked great (both the attackers and Geisha bots were well done) ; I didn't like the visuals much, felt kinda cheap (esp. the city itself).
You can tell the director tried a bit, but all in all, it's lacking a soul.
On a side note : The guy playing Batou was a good cast for the role imho, he got the job done.
PS : And what was this bs with Kitano's dialogs ?!? Either have his dialogs in full japanese, or in full english, but what they did here screams "Takeshi did not want to speak english, and the cast didn't want to learn 3 words of japanese", it just felt very akward.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Hhmm, sounds like it is meeting my expectations. Will be good hangover movie, when your brain doesnt work at all.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Batou was great.

I was actually more impressed with Scarlett as Motoko than I thought I would be.

I didn't like the story changes much. But in the end , enough was different to keep it fresh, enough was done correctly or the same to not piss me off.

Some scenes were bang on, like the chase and fight in the water after the garbage truck.

If you've watched The New Movie (2015) or Stand Alone Complex you can see why they chose certain changes.

• 1Like

Evernothing

Ok, just came back from the theater.
How do I put this ?
If I had to do an analogy, I'd say this movie is to the original what would happen if Mc Donalds tried to make sushi.

sushi.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
Fuck the haters, the movie was fine. It's a decent 6-7/10. Lots of scenes are a direct port from the anime and the story changes make it more palatable for an American audience. Don't listen to the femnazis and weaboos shitting on it, it's worth a watch. Also, agree with the assessment by Evernothing Evernothing on Batou. This character almost eclipsed Motoko for me, well played.

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
It was pretty good movie, I never got invested into the Anime.

As a programmer I could spend all day nit picking the whole "deep dive" thing, like if it's a robot why does it have a consciousness, and why would it have a visual meta representation, but you know whatever. A few jarring volume and 3D moments to get you on edge, which were unnecessary, had they gone one more I would have knocked some of my enjoyment of the film.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Shitty generic Holywood CGI coated plot featuring characters and scenes from Ghost in the Shell? 4/10

The added plot and action scenes were boring and took time away from getting to know the characters and setting. Cast was fine but I didn't give a shit about any of them. Actual plot changes to the anime plot made the story less interesting.

CGI doesn't look real (in general, not just this film), the few scenes in real locations look good. It just doesn't have a cyberpunk feel. Luke Skywalker's robot hand looked better than anything Scarlet Johansson had.

Chances of them making that sequel they left open?

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
6.5/10 Not great but enjoyed it. Never saw the anime. Found myself really pondering during it how much reality is going to resemble this world they're portraying in another 50 years or something. Certain key elements like augmented reality and human augmentation are in their absolute infancy right now but are going to explode in the near future. I can easily imagine a future not far off where parts of this setting are there in a similar way.

Siliconemelons

To those who are GITS fans and have way more knowledge than I - who have seen the movie - do you think removing the nudity and neutering the major had any effect in lessening her connection to a full human - where being a sexual being is part of being human? removing that entire aspect of contemplation to the audience etc. of where is the line between X and Y? Machine and man? Isn't a lot of what GITS is about is the blurring line between human and machine - FFS its the analogy in the title!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Got around to seeing this. I enjoyed it. The dumbed down aspects I totally get because Japanese philosophical musings about the nature of humanity and consciousness are a bit much for the expected audience for this kind of movie.

I mean, I would have enjoyed it more if those were there sure. But I get why it was setup the way it was and I liked it. The visuals were good even if the villain was a bit cheesy. Koze was kind of cool I guess but I don't understand why they had to mesh together so many of the story arcs. The Hideo Kuze and the Puppet Master Arc didn't have to be combined like that. There was probably a better way to do that.

6.5 or 7/10 for me.

• 2Solidarity

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
$19M domestic opening weekend, almost $60M worldwide.

If there is an anime title you're hoping to see a US studio adapt to live action, that opening isn't helping the cause.

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't get why they even bother trying to adapt anime to live action. The niche audience that enjoys the anime will find any reason to hate the live action version because its not exactly the anime which seems like a lose lose if some how the average movie goers don't want to see it either. No idea who is this is supposed to be marketed towards, can't honestly believe they think anime fans care about anything that isn't 2d waifu's at this point.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Yeah I think the longstanding anime icons will be very difficult to adapt in a way that will appeal to a broader audience without infuriating/disappointing anime fans because it's such a niche genre. Their appeal at the time was in being so different from anything in western animation. Akira is another one that I just don't know how it can be successfully translated though it would probably be cheaper to produce on the special effects end that GITS could have ever been.

• 1Like

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
I don't get why they just can't start showing Anime movies in theateres.

Though to be fair I have seen more anime movies in theateres this year than I have ever before....maybe it's starting to catch on? dunno.

Yugioh movie and SAO movie ...though those are smaller out of the way theaters they were all booked full from what I could see.

Rather have a couple theaters a week on off nights full or just yet another Indie film that hardly has anyone ever in it? Maybe its a rights thing? Dunno.

EDIT ADD: Just checked a theater near me..and it's showing several shows of : Phillauri Phillauri (film) - Wikipedia

I can't believe people are rushing to see this vs setting aside a theater a week for an anime movie or something (its a 30 theater place)

Chris

Potato del Grande
I don't want them to fucking remake anything else. Fucking Death Note straight to Netflix, what the fuck is that? Akira with Keaunu Reeves? No thanks.

Szlia

I have not seen it yet, but from what I hear, people are unhappy with this adaptation because of the lack of this:

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
Saw this today at my $5 matinee. I enjoyed it. Yeah, all the posts above are right - the movie is heavily dumbed down, the story is simple, and there really isn't any reason for the movie. But I really, really enjoyed the visuals, the future ideas presented in the movie, and watching ScarJo for 90 mins in a skin tight suit isn't a bad way to pass the time. If you are a cyberpunk fan, you gotta watch this in theaters, you won't regret it. The only other movies I have seen this year in theaters are John Wick 2, Logan, and now GITS and enjoyed em all. Fast and the Furious next in 11 days.

Its too bad the movie isn't doing gangbusters in the box office, now all the "this movie flopped because it has a white lead" SJWs are crawling out, which is annoying. Honestly though as long as they cast any hot chick I don't care, its when they start demanding Melissa McCarthy or Amy Schumer as the lead in action movies that i'll be bummed.

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Vorph

Saw this today at my $5 matinee. I enjoyed it. Yeah, all the posts above are right - the movie is heavily dumbed down, the story is simple, and there really isn't any reason for the movie. But I really, really enjoyed the visuals, the future ideas presented in the movie, and watching ScarJo for 90 mins in a skin tight suit isn't a bad way to pass the time. If you are a cyberpunk fan, you gotta watch this in theaters, you won't regret it. The only other movies I have seen this year in theaters are John Wick 2, Logan, and now GITS and enjoyed em all. Fast and the Furious next in 11 days.

Its too bad the movie isn't doing gangbusters in the box office, now all the "this movie flopped because it has a white lead" SJWs are crawling out, which is annoying. Honestly though as long as they cast any hot chick I don't care, its when they start demanding Melissa McCarthy or Amy Schumer as the lead in action movies that i'll be bummed.
Pretty much my exact thoughts on it. Went to see it solely because of the assholes crying about the casting and expected to be disappointed, came out wishing I'd gone to the IMAX instead. Only real complaint is that it should have been R-rated (for violence more than nudity).

• 2Like