Ghost in the Shell (2017)

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Saw it at the IMAX. Solid fucking movie, 7/10. People crying about it are bitches with bad taste.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
I don't get why they just can't start showing Anime movies in theateres....

I enjoy the Alamo Drafthouse which (at least here in Austin) will show an anime every now and again and even has a month each year for Miyazaki. I think anime is a lot like techno music. There is a shit-ton of it, and most of it is bad, but there are some diamonds in the rough. Spirited Away even cracks into my top 10, such a good film!

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
I enjoy the Alamo Drafthouse which (at least here in Austin) will show an anime every now and again and even has a month each year for Miyazaki. I think anime is a lot like techno music. There is a shit-ton of it, and most of it is bad, but there are some diamonds in the rough. Spirited Away even cracks into my top 10, such a good film!

They don't have to show every shitty movie. Hell, partner with cruncyroll to do like a once a month thing. Make it part of the subscription or something that you get notifications on film locations that partner with Crunchyroll. I dunno just thinking of some ideas. There are LOTS of animes I would like to see on the big screen. Going back to SAO: Ordinal Scale. That was great seeing it on the big screen with the music as well. I know some people hate it but the theater was sold out days in advance.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
SAO: Ordinal Scale was a packed theater when we saw it at the first Thursday screening. Too many fucking annoying weaboos yelling and talking out loud like they had some goddamn right to be dicks since they were in a room of anime fans. We and use that word likely can be a bunch of losers.

Anyways it was fantastic seeing that on the big screen. I saw the Arise films in the theaters as well. It's niche and I wish there were more of them.

Caliane

These aren't exactly accurate.
They focus a bit too much on american vs Japanese. Even the Nerdwriter vid. while does accurately talk about framing, and world building in the first movie. That is not exclusive to the anime. THAT had direct influences from Bladerunner. Bladerunner had good amounts of scene,city building as well. Which GiTS has many ties.

And frankly, we then need to point out the OTHER influence for GiTS.
670?cb=20160831035433

Ghost in the shell manga was written 2 years after Robocop was made. OCP, etc. hell, having his identity stripped and erased was part of the plot. GITS is practically a sequel. Robocop is the american version of ghost in the shell.

So, this remake is less of US trying to make GiTS. And instead just hollywood being retarded.. just like we saw in the Total Recall, Robocop remakes. and 100% certainly will see in Bladerunner next year. Hollywood has no idea what makes GiTS good, in the same way they had no idea what made Robocop good.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
Bout to see it! This 4dx bullshit better be worth it. Like titties slapping my face or something, shit!

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
I am disappointed.

The only good thing I can say about the film is they captured the futuristic city noir. The story is a poorly mish mash cut up job however. Feels like they combined movies a little or something.

The hacker & majors created back story (lol we wuz runaway kids) was completely unnecessary and fucking retarded.

The spider tank being manually controlled? Seriously? The reason it was so bad ass in the original anime was because it was a completely autonomous fucking spider mecha tank. Way to gay it up having it controlled by some pussy character.

**I've only ever watched the original 2 films mind you. Even innocence had a more watchable plot than this shit

But hey we got to see Scarlett cosplay so wutever :rolleyes:

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
And I'm fucking stunned. For the 1st time, they didn't fuck up an anime.
They change and added some stuff from the movie and SAC, which i think they did a good job with it.
Scarjo's character could have been more like the movie imo. The guy palyed Batou only knew him from Borgen (danish political tv series) but he did a great job.
The soundtrack was hit and miss, sometimes was very fitting, other times too generic.

7/10

And now we have to wait for the 1st GOOD movie based on a video game....

Cybsled

They change and added some stuff from the movie and SAC, which i think they did a good job with it.
Scarjo's character could have been more like the movie imo. The guy palyed Batou only knew him from Borgen (danish political tv series) but he did a great job.
The soundtrack was hit and miss, sometimes was very fitting, other times too generic.

7/10

Super Mario Brothers has already got you covered

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Fadaar

That guy
Silent Hill movie was pretty solid. Well, at least compared to every other video game movie.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

nu_11

7/10 movie.

Not too bad. Can tell they cut some corners by sometimes using plot devices. But eh, I don't want a super long movie. It was visually interesting, some good synth music too.

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider

7/10

Where's my 3 season HBO series based on Planescape: Torment.

• 1Like

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I don't want them to fucking remake anything else. Fucking Death Note straight to Netflix, what the fuck is that? Akira with Keaunu Reeves? No thanks.

Netflix movies/shows have pretty much all been good that i've seen (I don't watch hour tv show stuff but the movies and anime stuff, yes).

Last edited:

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
The guy palyed Batou only knew him from Borgen (danish political tv series) but he did a great job.

He's also in this little show we have here stateside you might have heard of.

It's called Game of Thrones. He plays Euron Greyjoy.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Ok, I just left the theater. Wow, that movie was fantastic. They did a damn good job with pretty much everything. I realize it isn't a 10/10 movie, but the source material wasn't 10/10 either. But as far as this genre, it's easily an 8/10. I loved how they meshed technology with real life, to the point where you pretty much couldn't tell the difference in many circumstances. Great job. And Scar Jo was great in this role. Granted, most of it was her speaking while just moving around (speaking without moving lips), but you get the idea. It was really good. I highly suggest it.

And it was nice seeing Jimmy Darmody from Boardwalk Empire again. He did a good job as well.

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
The visuals are the only saving grace of the film. The story is completely butchered and nonsensical.

• 1Like

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So the studio is going with the movie performing poorly because it whitewashed everything. The trailer was uninspiring and the movie was mediocre from the sounds of it. Fuck them

I think they hit their peek when the called whitewashing on Iron Fist