Ghostbusters (2016)

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Making the character a black woman in the 1940's/1950's will actually let them address racial ideas, too! That poster looked horrid, though.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Does anyone have precious Rocketeer memories?
I do! Playing the Amiga game, and it was awesome for the time
smile.png

As for this movie (new Ghostbusters)... wtf did I just see? Whoever thought this script was a good idea to throw a ton of million dollars at needs their head examined. I think the cast could have worked with some major character alterations but the script....dear god, the script needs to be nuked from orbit. Thank you torrents for saving my money.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I do! Playing the Amiga game, and it was awesome for the time
smile.png

As for this movie... wtf did I just see? Whoever thought this script was a good idea to throw a ton of million dollars at needs their head examined. I think the cast could have worked with some major character alterations but the script....dear god, the script needs to be nuked from orbit. Thank you torrents for saving my money.
isnt the big fight having to do with a zeppelin? thats about all i remember. my dad liked it i think. if they want to reboot a period movie, reboot biggles: adventures in time. much better movie and it was underrated. i dont know anyone who saw that.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
isnt the big fight having to do with a zeppelin? thats about all i remember. my dad liked it i think. if they want to reboot a period movie, reboot biggles: adventures in time. much better movie and it was underrated. i dont know anyone who saw that.
I can only remember that in the game you had a little cute HQ and a big map where the Nazi advance spawned hotspots you flew to to fight, also something vague about a zeppelin.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I saw Rocketeer as a kid and pretty sure I still disliked it. Aside from Jennifer. She was my go-to for what my ideal looks were since that concept existed in my head. I understand actors doing crazy things for roles but yikes :/

I'm not even sure re-using the IP is going to benefit them any this time. Based on what I remember, there was a lot of attempts to make Rocketeer a big thing but it just never went anywhere. I think there was a short lived comic series that died, a tiny shitty toyline, and not much else. I don't objectively have an issue with re-using IPs either, I like the idea of different takes and refining concepts (e.g. "hallelujah" and such) but I'm struggling to come up with an example of an IP that's been re-usedwell.

I love love love Naked Gun/Airplane/Hotshots movies, and would love to see some modern versions of those, but I can't even imagine Hollywood filming a movie like that anymore.

Juvarisx

Florida
There are some older B movies that were re-used really well like The Thing (1982 version and yes it was a remake back then) and Little Shop of Horrors. Also I liked the True Grit and 3:10 to Yuma remakes probably more then the originals, though I hate old non Eastwood westerns.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Oh yea those are great examples. Although Dredd is debatable because the first movie took the comics and basically un-refined them, so the Urban movie was just moving back in the original direction :p Another example of good uses of IP is the original Magnificent Seven - I love Seven Samurai but I'm sure there's tons of people that prefer the Western, and it's different enough where I like it too. I'm cautiously excited about the new one for a similar reason: if it's different enough and fun enough, I think it's fine. It's got a great cast so hopefully the actual movie supports that.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
There are some older B movies that were re-used really well like The Thing (1982 version and yes it was a remake back then) and Little Shop of Horrors. Also I liked the True Grit and 3:10 to Yuma remakes probably more then the originals, though I hate old non Eastwood westerns.
scarface and of course batman,

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Saw it online, wasn't quite as bad as I expected, but also not a great movie. The tryhard was very strong with this one, and the genuine enjoyment was pretty low. I was hoping to appreciate Wiig and McCarthy, but really only liked McKinnon and Hemsworth's parts. McKinnon's stuff did get a little too stupid and convenient at times, but the voice changes and frequent pointless comments she makes are solid.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Saw it online, wasn't quite as bad as I expected, but also not a great movie. The tryhard was very strong with this one, and the genuine enjoyment was pretty low. I was hoping to appreciate Wiig and McCarthy, but really only liked McKinnon and Hemsworth's parts. McKinnon's stuff did get a little too stupid and convenient at times, but the voice changes and frequent pointless comments she makes are solid.
Yeah, in my opinion the actors are not the problem, its the story (and absolutly the ending). It seems they had a decent budget for this, and I still dont understand why Hollywood constantly shovels millions at SFX but always seem to use $15 tops on the fucking script.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I thought the first half was pretty funny, but then they got too much into the plot and it felt more action than comedy and it didn't work as well.

Szlia

I have not seen this new Ghostbusters, but what you are describing is pretty typical of american comedies. They have an idea for a funny starting situation, so the movie start with a lot of comedy elements and then they realize they have to resolve the situation to tell a story and the comedy elements get few and far between. It's difficult to maintain a high level of comedy while telling a story.

Szlia

There are obviously examples of movies that manage to maintain a high comedy level throughout. Difficult =/= impossible.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I have not seen this new Ghostbusters, but what you are describing is pretty typical of american comedies. They have an idea for a funny starting situation, so the movie start with a lot of comedy elements and then they realize they have to resolve the situation to tell a story and the comedy elements get few and far between. It's difficult to maintain a high level of comedy while telling a story.
This is what bugged me about The 40 Year Old Virgin, Superbad, Knocked Up, etc. Lots of laughs in the first half, then the jokes just... stop.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Superbad was pretty funny for the entire movie. If you're just down on Apatow, I could see that. I thought the 40 Year Old Virgin was funny at times but just "alright" at others. Superbad on the otherhand was kind of hilarious all the way through. Ghostbusters when it released in the 80s was not hilarious all the way through, but it also wasn't trying to be. From what I understand of this movie, it is trying to be constantly funny and dropping the ball more often than not.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Superbad was pretty funny for the entire movie. If you're just down on Apatow, I could see that. I thought the 40 Year Old Virgin was funny at times but just "alright" at others. Superbad on the otherhand was kind of hilarious all the way through. Ghostbusters when it released in the 80s was not hilarious all the way through, but it also wasn't trying to be. From what I understand of this movie, it is trying to be constantly funny and dropping the ball more often than not.
dude, every scene of ghostbusters(original) has at least one joke in it. some are subtle, but they are there.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Less "they're trying hard" in the second 1/2 as much as "they're cramming in plot points and action". I'm just glad they didn't do the classic "rift between the group and everyone has to make-up before they come together to win the game" trope. That always fucking bugs me.