Gladiator 2

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It looked decent until they started playing some Jay Z/Kanye music. This is probably gonna flop just because of the name. It would have to be the best movie ever made to hold up to the original.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

spronk

FPS noob
looks very mid sadly. Putting in scenes from Gladiator 1 is a bizarre choice, "remember this GOAT movie oh shit no don't pause and go watch that instead FUCK FUCK FUCK"

Denzel is badly miscast imo, every time he laughs I just think about his character from Training Day

main character seems to have way less charisma than Russell Crowe too

the only thing the movie has going for it is the visuals, it looks fucking incredible and would be a sight in IMAX. Those Naval battles or the Rhino fight looks insane.

It'd be cool if they put out Gladiator 1 in IMAX for a limited run before this movie but of course they fucking won't cuz they are morons.

• 4Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

Bald Brah

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ridley Scott is basically a woman now. No testosterone left in him, so no hope for this flick.

Mahes

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Watched this from the Deadpool forum..

The music was shit. Gladiator 2 is taking the route of Fast and Furious?? The sharks give a new and updated form to the phrase " Jumping the sharks..."

This will most likely have good visuals but not much else. I can wait until Netflix or whatever channel gets it.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
"In the years following the release of the first film there were numerous attempts to write a sequel. Musician Nick Cave was invited to draft a version by Russell Crowe and Sir Ridley Scott. His version focused on the more mythical elements of Ancient Rome and would have seen Maximus arrive in the afterlife, only to be faced with other souls who are yet to ascend further. He is eventually tasked by Jupiter and other Roman deities to return to earth to find and kill Hephaestus, a former deity who has betrayed them. From there, he is resurrected as a Christian and finds himself journeying back to Rome, on a mission to stop Christianity from spreading, while crossing paths with the new Emperor, Lucius. The movie would have ended with Maximus being cursed to live for an eternity, featuring a montage of the soldier battling through the Crusades, World War II, and the Vietnam War, eventually revealing a modern-day Maximus working at the Pentagon in Washington. The studio decided not to go through with this version, but the script is available to read online."

This looks marginally better than the abomination above but somehow it just seems like a a way of tearing history down a bit more. I know Rome fell into degeneracy, but the hollywood version seems closer to Caligula than to the first movie.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
It amazes me how geographically well-defended Italy is. A huge mountain barrier to the north, water on all other sides. They should have been one of the eminent powers in Europe for ages, and I guess they almost were.
Controlling most of Europe for ~500 years isn't bad...

What I meant by this whole thing was that on paper the Roman Empire should still be going today in some form. Nobody was going to take the Romans down...except the Romans. Kinda like the United States.

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
What I meant by this whole thing was that on paper the Roman Empire should still be going today in some form. Nobody was going to take the Romans down...except the Romans. Kinda like the United States.
Are you serious? Pontifex maximus ring a bell?

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Watched this from the Deadpool forum..

The music was shit. Gladiator 2 is taking the route of Fast and Furious?? The sharks give a new and updated form to the phrase " Jumping the sharks..."

This will most likely have good visuals but not much else. I can wait until Netflix or whatever channel gets it.
Bro, he fell into the sharks in the trailer. Totally different.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Are you serious? Pontifex maximus ring a bell?

Are you saying the Vatican is the modern extension of the Roman Empire?

I was thinking more in terms of statehood, though I guess technically the Vatican IS a state.

The Holy Roman Empire, German Empire, and Third Reich are probably the closest things to state-level extensions of the original Roman Empire, but all of them were more like remakes by a less-talented director.

My point was that the Empire should have been around / a force for much longer than it was, on paper, except that it fell apart under its own hubris, and that you can draw parallels with the modern U.S. - a place that'll only collapse, if ever, due to its own poor leadership.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

First time I tried to watch this trailer, there was no sound, and I had to reboot the computer to get it working again. Not sure what happened there.

Now that I've watched it with sound, I think God was doing me a favor the first time

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Talos

I was thinking more in terms of statehood, though I guess technically the Vatican IS a state.

The Holy Roman Empire, German Empire, and Third Reich are probably the closest things to state-level extensions of the original Roman Empire, but all of them were more like remakes by a less-talented director.
You have a good intuition by keeping "state-level" as something distinct. We could call it the power part of "power and authority."

Christ conquered Rome. The Catholic Church is the continuation of the most important part of Rome: its spiritual authority (state-level power is merely a reflection of spiritual authority). The Vatican along with each particular church around the world are participating in the Roman Empire. I live in the Roman Empire. Here in the US, Roman Catholics are ruled at the state-level by Protestant America. It's very sad.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bald Brah

Lord Nagafen Raider
You have a good intuition by keeping "state-level" as something distinct. We could call it the power part of "power and authority."

Christ conquered Rome. The Catholic Church is the continuation of the most important part of Rome: its spiritual authority (state-level power is merely a reflection of spiritual authority). The Vatican along with each particular church around the world are participating in the Roman Empire. I live in the Roman Empire. Here in the US, Roman Catholics are ruled at the state-level by Protestant America. It's very sad.

Christ didn't conquer Rome. Quite the opposite. Constantine used the legend of the christ figure to set himself up as a god emperor. And it follows down to this day with the Pope shitting on his bejeweled golden toilet while he steals the wealth from all the peasants of the world who are dumb enough to believe in him.

• 1Seriously?

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Some set pieces sure look interesting like the rhino fight and the naval battle, but it's clear that this movie and setting is just a vehicle for Ridley Scott to stage the most ridiculous battles from Colliseum that he read about.

The plot feels shitty, Denzel takes me out of the movie every time, and the soundtrack was the last straw.

I turned it off as soon as the hip hop music hit. Shame because the first one was fantastic.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Talos

Christ didn't conquer Rome. Quite the opposite. Constantine used the legend of the christ figure to set himself up as a god emperor. And it follows down to this day with the Pope shitting on his bejeweled golden toilet while he steals the wealth from all the peasants of the world who are dumb enough to believe in him.
This is the stupidest thing I have ever seen posted on FoH. Congratulations.

Burns

My point was that the Empire should have been around / a force for much longer than it was, on paper, except that it fell apart under its own hubris, and that you can draw parallels with the modern U.S. - a place that'll only collapse, if ever, due to its own poor leadership.
The Holy Roman Empire was not holy, Roman, or an empire. The "German Empire" was mostly just Prussia with a few friends that maybe had 10% overlap with any lands once inhabited by Rome. The Nazis were too concerned with racial purity to worry about being descended from dirty Italian half breeds (using them as canon fodder is fine though).

The Byzantine Empire was the Roman Empire (renamed for 16th century "modern audiences") and the Turks killed them in 1453 with the fall of Constantinople. In other words, a person living in Constantinople in the year 1066 would have considered themselves of Roman culture.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
The Byzantine Empire was the Roman empire (renamed for 16th century "modern audiences") and the Turks killed them in 1453 with the fall of Constantinople.

Edit: This movie looks like ass.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Bald Brah

Lord Nagafen Raider
This is the stupidest thing I have ever seen posted on FoH. Congratulations.

Maybe open up a history book sometime. Christ and all his jew buddies were rounded up and killed by the romans, all their temples torn down and basically run out of town forever. Christianity has no link to the actual Jesus of Nazareth. It was invented and written by Constantine some 300 odd years after Christ and ~150 years after Rome killed all the Jews and established the Roman state of Palestine. Christianity as established by the Romans and carried on by the Roman Catholics is an Imperial cult set up to worship the Pope. Not some sky fairy. The Pope collects all the money and treasures of all his idiot followers and sits on his piles of gold in Rome.

• 1Worf

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Dan Marino Holy Shit GIF

We have a thread for this kind of discussion over in the /pol section.

• 1Like