Google Ingress

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anyone currently doing this? I've got a couple friends that are in and I've been looking for an invite. Was wondering if anyone here had any leet infos.

Edit: Now that I posted this I'm honestly not sure if this belongs here or the MMO forum after I thought about it.

refyc_sl

shitlord
Yeah, Android only as of now, but rumors speak of an iOS version, too. WP? Not even on the horizon
smile.png

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Sweet. I'd like to check this out, but I'm not gonna go buy an Android phone to do it.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I've been in it for a few weeks now, but getting an invite was a bitch. You basically have to either know someone already in it and hope they get given a code, or idle in their IRC room hoping to win a code via trivia and whatnot.

Game is pretty awesome if you live in a big city, probably not so much if you don't as the portals and stuff will be pretty few and far between. Every government building is a portal at least, so even the smallest of towns SHOULD have at least a few in them to start out on (post office, fire dep etc). I travel all over northern Illinois for work right now, so I've been making a lot of pit stops to hack things lately :x

refyc_sl

shitlord
The game is still in it's infant stage, most portals are still generated on top of buildings Google is aware off, universities, post offices, graveyards, you get the drift. User-contributed portals are slowly coming and favor urban areas to a degree that you can have ten portals in a 200 meter radius in the inner city and black spots where no portals can be found for kilometers right next to it. Google utilizes Latitude check-in data to determine busy areas, so they know where to priorize portal contributions and also spawn energy (XM).

I am looking forward to a point in the future where portals happen to be where I go, instead of having to get out of my way to play the game and spend a fortune on gas to do so.

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Huh, I signed up just yesterday and woke up to an invite email. Maybe you guys should try signing up with a different email address?

refyc_sl

shitlord
Try to re-signup with different addresses, right now, you can usually get an invite within 24 hours if you sign up a few times.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
First 10 people to post an email will get an invite.

EDIT if you dont want to post an email can just send a PM

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I have 1 invite to give. First person to quote this message gets it. Make sure you have an android device please.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
3 left.

EDIT: if you send me a message w/o a email I can't help you out.

Oatlord_sl

shitlord
In non-urban areas, this game can be expensive and slow. My area is basically owned by one dude 7 levels higher than me. I swat at his stuff on my lunch breaks, but that's about all I can do. I was in another state this weekend though and lucked out and found two portals open. I'm now the proud owner of a piece of google IP.

Cool concept, but like most MMOs, I think it'll be difficult for newcomers.

Screenshot Post #4

refyc_sl

shitlord
Agreed, the game lacks some ways to catch up as a new player. If you can't find an area that you can destroy as a level 1, you will level extremely slow. Let's see, you need 10000AP for the first level up & 30000AP for the second level up. As level 1 you can kill a level 3 portal tops. In case flipping portals is no option due to higher level players in your area, all you can do for points is:
- Hack enemy portals for 100AP
- Recharge friendly portals for 10AP each (portal resonator XM decays by around 10% each day, so you can usually recharge three times per day)

As you can see, being outleveled is not even as worse as having no opponents at all. Having 5 hostile portals in your range seems likely for most areas, so you can do easy 5x4x100=2000XM just by hacking them till burnout (after 4 consecutive hacks) each day. This means 5 days for level 2 and another 15 days for level 3.

After that, the game mostly opens up, you can attack most portals with level 3 if you have enough ammunition. You will most likely don't have level 7-8 portals in your area for long, as those are field cornerstones that scream for attention and lead people to drive out and nuke them to pieces usually. Once level 3, you should focus your effort on farming (this is the most important part of the whole game, get a friendly farm started, in the best case, multiple portals that you can cycle through within 5 minutes), and blowing those portals down that contribute to an enemy field. Just blow the field up, grab the portal and get going back to farming mode. It is a juicy spot for the enemy, as they still are only a single portal away from completing a field (again), so they will redeploy once more. Nuke the portal down until they don't feed you AP anymore, then take over the whole field.

By now, you are already knee deep in, you will figure out the rest on your own
smile.png

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I drive ~200 miles a day for my job all over the northern part of Chiago and surrounding suburbs. Soon I will be king of the north.

Oatlord_sl

shitlord
This game is tailor suited for cops, which we speculate the local badass in our area must be cause he owns literally everything. The city is his sweaty nut sack.
Still fun to play though, especially if you can get coordination on your side.