Google is now Alphabet, Inc. Wut?

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
They could have done the exact same restructuring and just named the overarching holding company Google, instead of Alphabet. I don't really understand why they're trying to take a step away from the Google name/brand when it's one of the most well known and valuable on the planet.
There is a lot of investor blow back over them spending money generated in the search division of the company on projects that are completely unrelated to anything that drives them revenue and they go against what the company original set out to be. By psychologically breaking the two apart, they're essentially restating their purpose as a company. Alphabet will do all these crazy tech projects, and google is just a component of that whole outlook. Whether it'll actually work or not remains to be seen.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Right, it just sounds like boring company restructuring... so that they can say "our search engine business, "google", had a net profit of 3 billion. And our autonomous car company "skynet" lost 1 billion dollars. Let's fire steve, the ceo of skynet, he hasn't delivered on any of his targets... it just is so the accountants can show the billionares exactly how much money they lose trying to improve humanity/the planet... and get back to the REAL motivation they should have in their life... making the most amount of money possible. Pruning unsuccessful ventures, promoting the successful ones.

It's a lot harder to say "well, google made 3 billion on search engines, but then google lost 1 billion on making cars" "wait, why is the search engine company making cars?"

Jilariz_sl

shitlord
whats wrong with abc.xyz?
Can't say I know of any real company that thinks it's okay to use anything other than .com. It doesn't matter, just looks unprofessional, imo.I do wonder if they are going to go after alphabet.com as BMW doesn't really seem to be using it for a web presence.

edit: nm, alphabet.com is a real site, it's just hammered to hell by everyone trying to see google's new umbrella company site. lol

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Can't say I know of any real company that thinks it's okay to use anything other than .com. It doesn't matter, just looks unprofessional, imo.
you do know about the top level domain names? Might not look so unprofessional as you think.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
google+alphabet+final.png

Jilariz_sl

shitlord
you do know about the top level domain names? Might not look so unprofessional as you think.
Yes, I do understand TLD and DNS, which is why I made the comment. I haven't seen any professional company using .xyz.

There's a good reason why .com has been dominant, it's easy to remember, and that was the whole point of DNS. Adding all these hundreds of other TLDs doesn't seem to be making anything easier to remember. But I guess you can just google.abc.xyz search for whatever crazy concoction the company you're trying to find decided to use.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
They could have done the exact same restructuring and just named the overarching holding company Google, instead of Alphabet. I don't really understand why they're trying to take a step away from the Google name/brand when it's one of the most well known and valuable on the planet.
Its not like the Google brand is going anywhere, you are still going to see and hear it 100 times a day. The new company can piggy back that brand and get a ton of exposure out of it. They are not taking a step away from it at all.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Can't say I know of any real company that thinks it's okay to use anything other than .com. It doesn't matter, just looks unprofessional, imo.
You may not have noticed that Google is a trend setter, not a trend follower...

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Some article I read on cnn said that Larry Page was a big fan of Warren Buffet's and this is how Warren Buffet has structured his company. I suppose it makes sense from a marketing stand point, I mean what does driverless cars have to do with searching the internet?
A better question is what is a search engine company doing developing cars?

As I mentioned earlier - these kinds of companies, where their hands are in every cookie jar, routinely got shut down and forced to spin off by governments. Google however is "liberal", "hip" and "cool" so I doubt they will get the same treatment as those really evil companies like AT&T.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
General Electric.
What about them? There have been calls to break up GE for 20+ years, but they spend so much on lobbying and our political heroes are such idiots, that they won't do it. Though, they did break up their banking which of course had nothing to do with them. I'll be shocked if there is ever a single call to break apart alphabet.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It sounds like it was to make Wall Street happy and judging from the stock price it seems like it did. Traders were never happy with Google doing all of their moon shots and off the wall projects and they always wanted to know how much money was being spent on this shit vs. stuff that actually makes money. Google is making themselves more transparent to stockholders which I'm sure will make them a worse company in the long run because all the wall street fucks want is maximum revenue every quarter and forget about making the world a better place. That's why they love Apple so much.

spronk

FPS noob
this was done to provide google companies with more independence and flatten out the management a little bit. google has gotten very bureaucratic over the last few years and that leads to people worrying more about not pissing off layers and layers of bosses than doing good work like any big company or govt. in theory this would allow each company to stay more focused on what they want to do and flatten out the management layers a little bit. Financially as well if one sub company is a breakout hit they can spin it out as an IPO while retaining the money and assets in the parent company.

it eventually falls apart when you realize a big advantage is two or more parts of your company working together to make something even better, like chrome and Self Driving Cars and Google Research doing a better job at finding the closest clean shitter or whatever. Still, for a while it'll work, and they are probably trying to optimize the company split ups so closely aligned stuff stays together.

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Google is making themselves more transparent to stockholders which I'm sure will make them a worse company in the long run because all the wall street fucks want is maximum revenue every quarter and forget about making the world a better place. That's why they love Apple so much.
I don't exactly see Google bending over backwards to try to make the world a better place. Self-driving cars are the one thing that should theoretically eventually be a great thing, but aside from those?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I don't exactly see Google bending over backwards to try to make the world a better place. Self-driving cars are the one thing that should theoretically eventually be a great thing, but aside from those?
Seriously?

They do alot, like recently they just funded two start ups. The first is called Enable, which essentially connects those who need prosthetic arms with volunteers who own 3D printers and are able to design and assemble prosthetics for free. The second is called World Wide Hearing, which develops low-cost kits that use smartphone technology for those suffering from hearing loss.

Smart contact lenses that measure blood sugar without stabbing yourself and have tons of other applications

Project Loon --Bringing internet to 2/3 of the world that doesn't have it.

Makani - Green energy program

Calico - Heavily classified department that is rumored to be researching age-related maladies.

It's neural network network stuff has boundless applications, google glass is being incorporated more and more into military related things..this is just stuff off the top of my head. They do a lot of pretty great stuff.

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Cool - I was serious, I hadn't heard of most of that stuff. Although I don't see how google glass being incorporated into military related things is helping to make the world a better place... just a bad example, I know doctors use it as well.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
You're right, having our military advance technologically is in no way shape or form something that is good for us.