GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

khalid

Unelected Mod
Barristan has consistently been mentioned on the show as being one of the greatest swordsman that ever lived. Jaime, who has also been mentioned being one of the best living, went out of his way to give props to Barristan.

So yeah, the complaint in regard to Barristan seems quite silly. Back off Barristan the Bold.

Kubla Kas_sl

shitlord
Several people say several other people are all greatest swordsman ever... it is about as meaningless as saying your favorite baseball player is the best ever. There is literally no way to measure this unless every one had a fight to the death at some tournament which doesn't happen. Sure they fight until they surrender but I'd say even that is skewed also, usually those tourneys also involve a jousting component which has absolutely nothing to do with your swordsmanship. Each person has their favorite knight, living or dead, who they crow about and their opinions are almost always anecdotal or third-person recounts of something that they heard the guy did.

iannis

Musty Nester
I'm not really hating on the episode. I watched it and overall I did enjoy it. That one line smacked me in the face, and that one scene smacked me in the face. With 50 minutes an episode, and 10-13 episodes, he doesn't have time to jerk his dick on screen like he does in the books. Focus is important. They could have used that 2 minutes to better effect.

A much bigger complaint I had is that we saw fatboy crow get chased by a zombie. After the final episode of season 2 it looked like a straight up invasion was about to break on the wall. And then we got fatboy crow being chased by a single zombie and his commander berating him for being useless. Shit needed to hit the ground running. But as to that, i'm sure we'll get more focus on that in coming episodes. His story is just so sprawled that i'm sure you can't do it all justice quickly. This week we gave the Ty's some justice.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Several people say several other people are all greatest swordsman ever... it is about as meaningless as saying your favorite baseball player is the best ever. There is literally no way to measure this unless every one had a fight to the death at some tournament which doesn't happen. Sure they fight until they surrender but I'd say even that is skewed also, usually those tourneys also involve a jousting component which has absolutely nothing to do with your swordsmanship. Each person has their favorite knight, living or dead, who they crow about and their opinions are almost always anecdotal or third-person recounts of something that they heard the guy did.
Yep.

Plus GRRM has integrated typical legendary comments with reference to previous warriors. From Robert Baratheon being a monster with his mace to Aegon I with his creepy sword. You'll never quite know how powerful characters are, even if they were to all fight in an epic tournament. It's tough to say whether the mountain was really a greater fighter than the red viper.

iannis

Musty Nester
you-just-activated-my-trap-card-500x375.jpg

damn.
Seriously man, watch the show. Jaime for one. I'm pretty sure they made a big deal out of Boromir's skill with a sword, I'm pretty sure Jaime himself did. And King Robert back when he was sober. And King Smoking Vagina Monster. Basically at some point any dude over five and a half foot tall that has a name in the script and a sword on his hip has been described as "a great swordsman, maybe the greatest ever".

When it comes to the books i'm sure you're right. I'm sure there's a clearly defined loose heirarchy. I'm talking about on the show. There isn't. It's just a muddle of "they're all the best".

In that case, why bother to even say it. You wouldn't think that the Kings Guard would be comprised of the WORST swordsmen they can find.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Both Jamie and the Mountain have lost to Loras Tyrell in jousts.

Also, Ianiss you are full of shit. Find these quotes in the books or STFU.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
"Basically at some point any dude over five and a half foot tall that has a name in the script and a sword on his hip has been described as "a great swordsman, maybe the greatest ever"."

Nope.
"You wouldn't think that the Kings Guard would be comprised of the WORST swordsmen they can find."
It's funny you say that.... if you don't want to be spoiled I'd recommend closing the thread and reading the books or stop reading this thread and watch the tv show, but when
Jamie gets his hand cut off and becomes the head of the kingsguard he realizes that nobody in the kingsguard is worth of being there, they're just political pawns put in as favors and what not and it's all a sham

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Jaime, Ned and Ser Jorah have all said Barristan is the best. If he's not 'the' best, he's clearly one of them.

You fuckers will complain about anything. Any time you're feeling like something in this show isn't sitting right with you, sit down and watch an episode of The Walking Dead. That should help get any complaints about GoT out of your system.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Oh and Loras lost to Brienne in a melee so I guess Brienne is the best fighter ever.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Jaime, Ned and Ser Jorah have all said Barristan is the best. If he's not 'the' best, he's clearly one of them.

You fuckers will complain about anything. Any time you're feeling like something in this show isn't sitting right with you, sit down and watch an episode of The Walking Dead. That should help get any complaints about GoT out of your system.
GoT is the best show I've ever watched.

Doesn't mean it doesn't have flaws we can discuss.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>

I agree. The flaws you're discussing are stupid though. Shae's acting is a flaw worthy of discussion, but the majority of what gets bitched at in this thread is pretty retarded. That being said, without retarded discussion, this entire forum would be a ghost town.

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord

Rome bro. Rome.

I think GoT could be the greatest, but until it's finished, I must withhold judgement.

Sopranos could have been one of the best, then David Chase shit the bed and called it season 6.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Barristan is the best of the best still alive. The dude Ned and his 6 shadowy pals cut down with 2 other Kingsguard during the war was the only recent person better than him. There's a definite pecking order in the books. Barristan was top echelon. Jamie and Ned are (were) up there too.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Rome bro. Rome.

I think GoT could be the greatest, but until it's finished, I must withhold judgement.

Sopranos could have been one of the best, then David Chase shit the bed and called it season 6.
I can literally name at least 5 shows all better written, acted, and composed than GOT. I won't bother though, this is the "PRAISE GOT" thread - not the "this show is great, but there are areas it could improve on" thread. Whats funny is I don't recall anyone nitpicking truly great shows like Breaking Bad, The Wire, or Deadwood. Got, interesting?

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Whats funny is I don't recall anyone nitpicking truly great shows like Breaking Bad, The Wire, or Deadwood. Got, interesting?
You didn't read those threads then. The Wire and Deadwood were over by the time the threads popped up on FOH, so there wasn't much to nitpick "live" so to speak. However, Breaking Bad had tons of whining about filler episodes and the like. Saying those 3 shows are better than Game of Thrones if fair, if debatable. Those were/are all excellent.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
sorry I didn't mean to pick a tv show fight. I'm sure there are better shows that GoT out there, my only point was that criticizing something in a show is not saying it's bad.